Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 2013
Originally posted on Serendipity Reviews.

Only one word to describe this book - EXPLOSIVE!

From the very first couple of sentences you are hit by an almighty panic, catapulting you through the story to find out why one of you main characters is frantically searching for a bomb. This book has been glued to my hands for the past couple of days as I nervously jumped between the dual narratives of Charlie and Nat as one moment in time alters their live for ever, as well as tying them together for eternity.

I loved the way the relationship developed between Nat and Charlie. I was also really pleased to discover that Charlie stood out as the stronger character of the two; she was more focused and in control of her emotions than Nat, who was more likely to suffer with doubts. I wondered if that was because Charlie had suffered a lot more than Nat, making him a little more wary, where as Charlie had a score to settle.

The plot keeps you on your toes through the book. It's actually like being on a high speed train, heading to an unknown and dangerous destination. You think you are going to take one route and then the author switches tracks. The writing is sharp and tight. Each chapter often not more than a couple of pages long,but grabbing your attention and pushing you further into the story.

I think Sophie McKenzie has done an excellent job of creating a realistic story of what could happen in our country - it almost had an eerie premonistic feel to it, in the same way George Orwell's 1984 did. A gritty, thrilling and fast paced novel that makes you worried about the future - I just hope our country has the sense to pull back before we end up living like this.
on 15 January 2015
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

Sophie McKenzie has an amazing talent for writing action packed YA thrillers that are simply impossible to put down. Split Second was no exception.

There was a high level of dystopian content which was done well, in that you weren’t bogged down with endless details at the very beginning. It was partly due to the fact it closely resembled the world we live in today but where society has changed drastically as a response to budget cuts and unemployment. You could clearly see the parallels, which was interesting; but I didn’t get the sense that the book was designed to make you think about your own life, any more than it was a story to enjoy.

It’s told through a dual narrative with Charlie and Nat as the main protagonists and narrators. Something that often stumps authors is writing the voices so they’re easily distinguishable, but after reading her other series The Medusa Project I already knew McKenzie could do it. Once again I was right. Both characters were very different, but their strengths complimented the others weaknesses. I particularly loved Charlie’s bad-ass character, though it didn’t stop her getting into a few close scrapes…

There were so many twists and turns with regards to just about everything, it was hard to keep up so if that’s your type of thing (like it is mine) you should definitely pick this book up!

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/
on 9 March 2015
Wow, this book is amazing, I know Sophie McKenzie is an a author and I love her books so much. I can't wait to read the next one sounds amazing! Never want her to stop writing because reading just wouldn't be the same without the action she packs Into her books
on 21 January 2015
2.5/5

I don’t really know how to go about writing this review as I generally like the books that I read, but this book just didn’t really do it for me and I can’t quite put my finger on why exactly. But I think the thing that stood out to me the most was that I didn’t particularly warm to the main characters of the book- Charlie and Nat, as I felt that they didn’t have huge depth that I really appreciate in a novel. I felt that the characters were slightly superficial as Charlie was that girl that refused to wear makeup and was rebellious and Nate was mysterious yet really a nice sensitive guy underneath and I felt that there was nothing really unique in them. Despite this I didn’t dislike the characters but didn’t love them either.

There was also a lack of mystery in the book, which it was meant to supply, as I could call the bad guys out from a mile away before the big revelations came in the book. Therefore I felt that if I was able to pick up signs of who the bad guys were Charlie and Nat should’ve been able to as well. Although the book was obviously fiction the plot seemed completely far-fetched to me which is probably why I couldn’t really get into it. I personally didn’t see how joining a terrorist group was the best way to go about stopping another terrorist group.

View Full Review here :themadt-party.blogspot.co.uk
on 28 May 2015
I chose this rating because the story was gripping, touching and extremely emotional. This books given confidence in me that I didn't think possible: being sorry for the characters. I feel as if i have gone through the same adventure as they have and come out stronger. They are my new,make believe hero's!

Read now or become blind to fantasy....
on 6 December 2015
After reading the Girl, Missing series and the Medusa Project, I think I'd try some of McKenzie's other books. This one follows Nat and Charlie in a strange and corrupt London, filled with terrorist groups and shady politicians. I found it really hard to like Charlie's character but Nat's story, I found very intriguing... A good read if you like Sophie's books, though definitely not her best work.
on 28 December 2014
I like this book a lot more than I had expected. The way it was set between two different characters was a little confusing but I got there in the end. The way one of the characters screamed 'bomb!' Outside the parliament was quite interesting considering that no one was listening and I thought that everything including the freedom army was fake was very well written, I know I couldn't write that sort of story. Defiantly recommend if your into reading full on action.
on 29 December 2013
I like this book because it has as very interesting story line, it captured my imagination and held it there. I have this book five stars because as I said it holds your imagination and keeps it. Your clever on edge and wanting to read on to find out what's going to happen next. I recommend this book for 13 years old. It's a really great book and I'm an going to get the next one for sure.
on 18 May 2014
I loved the twist in the book which I found really exciting. I can't wait for the next book to come out!
on 21 October 2013
I think that this is a great book because of the great way way it was written. I have been waiting for Sophie McKenzies next action novel for ages as she is my all-time favourite author and split second did not disappoint me. I would recommend this book to anyone else who loves exciting books and is over 11 :) amazing book!