1,028 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing and very well written
Well, after looking at this title on Goodreads, I discovered it is quite controversial. All I can say is that I loved it and Walking Disaster. Yes, it has some dark bits to it. However, I thought it was really well written and engrossing with complicated we'll fleshed out characters.
Published 13 months ago by Dreamer Girl

Inexplicably, this book has a 4.5 star average. That's higher than any of the Fifty Shades of Grey books that it's compared to. This was a 99p special offer, which I downloaded without expectations of literary greatness but because I did enjoy the Fifty Shades trilogy.

Published 12 months ago by StephanieIsReading

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing and very well written, 30 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read!!!, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful 1) (Paperback)
I literally can't fault this book. I advise any hopeless romantic to give it a read, I'm pretty certain you'll fall in love with Travis Maddox like I did. I couldn't put the book down, as soon as it came in the post I started to read it and couldn't stop. I finished it within 2 days and then began to re-read it before walking disaster came!! Honestly the best book I've ever read. Can't wait to read it again :)

5.0 out of 5 stars best random read in a while!, 8 April 2012
I'd been buying books for my new kindle and this one was repeatedly recommended. At first I was a bit put off, thinking the title sounded a bit too much like a twisted romance novel for me but then, after seeing it recommended a good eight or nine times, I caved in and bought it. Oh. My. GOD! I am so pleased I did. I literally sat and read the whole thing in a matter of hours. Complete and utter page-turner. I couldn't get enough of it and loved the ending (it caught me completely off guard!). I don't often go for books I haven't heard of or authors I don't know any work by, but this truly is a fantastic book and you will not be disappointed. The characters were realistic, the emotions were raw and I found myself tearing up multiple times during the end of the book. I honestly cannot recommend enough. You need to read this book!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel in which the lovers of 50 Shades of Gray will enjoy, 8 Feb 2014
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful 1) (Paperback)
“Beautiful Disaster” written by Jamie McGuire is a romantic novel that will appeal to those who normally enjoy this type of literature with sometimes a bit predictable plot, which still offers plenty of excitement on its pages.

Abby is modest and dear freshman who sees college start as an escape from the past. Reader will meet Abby’s long-time friend America, who always had the need to protect her, her boyfriend Shepley and nice looking, but extremely arrogant and conceited Travis, a silent suffering of many freshman girls and fighter in illegal fights.
When Abby does not show the slightest interest in Travis sweet words, she will become the first girl who rejected him, and thus the first girl he become interested for. Having lost the bet, Abby has a month to spend with Travis at the apartment, and a month is a long time.
Two seemingly different people will become true friends, and as the weeks move away, they will start to realize that they are more alike than they could have imagined, and that their relationship is anything but friendly…

Though in some ways typical “Beautiful Disaster” is not one of those romance novels with idealized figures – it’s a passionate and intense story, whose characters are complex, fierce and obsessive. Of course, its story doesn’t offer revolutionary new, but those who enjoy this type of novel will not mind the fact story is known and somewhat typical, while its ending more or less predictable.

However, the author has succeeded in her novel to perfectly show what teenage love is, what it feels like to love someone who suffocates you with jealousy, paranoia and possessiveness, while you cannot break away from these feelings because they have become your biggest addiction as well. Though just teenagers, Abby and Travis will show you what real love can and must endure because no one is perfect ... and while you infatuate due to some flaws of beloved one, remember how the other side struggles daily with yours.

And due to all above-mentioned, “Beautiful Disaster” reading can especially be recommended to fans of Fifty Shades of Gray, and if so far you have not had an obsession, this novel could become one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Obsession! Couldn't put it down...., 16 April 2012
I absolutely loved Beautiful Disaster - for me, it was one of those books that you can't put down, but you also don't want to read too quickly because you can't bear for it to be over. Because of this, I started reading it over, as soon as I finished the book the first time!

I noticed from Jamie McGuire's website that she has plans to write the story from Travis' perspective and I can't wait for this to be released. I think I fell in love with him just a little bit reading this story.

I adore books that have, at their heart, a passionate love story where you feel the characters' attraction, obsession, joy and pain as their relationship develops and this book delivered it in spades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travis = A True Alpha Male, 1 Feb 2014
I loved this book. I loved the angst. I loved that Travis was written as a proper alpha male, strong, fierce, protective and yes obsessive!

While Abby was the quiet nerdy type, she also had her own mind and yes she drove me nuts with her playing off Travis and Parker, so she wasn't what you would call an innocent!

I enjoyed this book and have recommended it to others. No it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it is definitely a book I would re-read and Travis is in my top 5 alpha book boyfriends!

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed and ill-thought-through, centred around an unbelievable relationship, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful 1) (Paperback)

Beautiful Disaster wasn't so bad that I had to stop reading it. (I hate leaving books unfinished, but I do from time to time, when I really can't get into one.) It was a bit like terrible, trashy TV that has you cringing but from which you can't make yourself look away... But that doesn't make it good.

The story revolves around Abby (supposedly a good girl just arrived at college) and Travis (supposedly an all-round bad boy) and their `beautiful disaster' of a relationship. The trouble is, nothing really hangs together. The blurb tells us Abby is a good girl, something which I think is meant to be reinforced by her wearing a cardigan when we first meet her, but there's nothing else to suggest this. Her background is referred to loosely and vaguely, and when it's eventually explained it feels unconvincing and weak. Travis is a champion fighter, star student, and girl-magnet: not the most realistic character. Even less realistic is his immediate willingness to change for Abby and their equally immediate pull to one another. In Fifty Shades of Grey, on which Jamie McGuire has fairly obviously based Beautiful Disaster, everything is a bit more nuanced and drawn out. This is more equivalent to the insta-love that Twilight is perhaps guilty of, but without the supernatural to fall back on as an explanation.

Not only are the foundations of their relationship unrealistic, but so is the way it pans out. Abby and Travis spend months in some kind of ridiculous dance of misunderstandings and miscommunications, some of which seem so unlikely they must be willful. I think it's meant to be obsessive and intense, but really it's unbelievable and infuriating. Equally unbelievable is the degree to which other people (especially Abby's friend America and Travis' cousin Shepley) care about this car crash of a relationship.

Where there is more similarity with Fifty Shades of Grey - which is not perfect but does spin a compelling story - is in the weakness of the writing itself. While E.L. James overuses phrases such as `oh my', Jamie McGuire's preferred cliché is people `softening' - it feels like every other paragraph sees Travis' eyes softening, his face softening, his expression softening. What does this even mean? The other thing that really grated on me throughout is the ridiculous nickname Travis gives Abby: Pigeon (or Pidge). This comes from nowhere, means nothing, and sticks without anyone questioning it or pointing out its stupidity.

For all of this, I did keep reading - and it's actually a really long book. I wasn't grabbing every spare minute to read it, as I do with better books, but I didn't give up on it. I'm not entirely sure why, but that comparison with car-crash reality TV is the best one I can come up with. I think I kept hoping that there'd be some revelation to make everything make sense. Sadly, there was not. Although apparently there is a spin-off novella (I won't share the title as it'll give away something about Beautiful Disaster) and Walking Disaster, a money-spinning version of the original book told from Travis' perspective.

Overall, Beautiful Disaster feels rushed and ill thought through. Its biggest failing is a pretty crucial one: there is nothing to the story apart from their relationship, and their relationship is not believable. It takes skill to make you believe two people are destined to be together despite appearances and circumstances, that they can be drawn to each other from the first look. For me, Daughter of Smoke and Bone is one of the best examples of this. And, though they may not be great literature, Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey do achieve it. Sadly, Jamie McGuire and Beautiful Disaster don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Late to the Party but OMG!!!!, 17 July 2013
I have had this book sitting on my kindle for months and to my shame , I have just skipped past it.
Finally I perched myself on the sofa and started to read - and what a fabulous read it was - OMG - Travis what a man!!
Loved it- Ms McGuire I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get around to reading your novels but i must say I am converted - you are a genius!!
Mr Maddox it was an absolute pleasure to spend a few hours in your company - you made me laugh, you made me cry but most of all you made me smile !!

First class piece of writing - BRAVO!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star book, 30 Dec 2012
Really good read, kept me hooked all the way through can't wait to read walking disaster from Travis point of view :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Dec 2012
Excellent really enjoyed this book! Up there with 50 shades definitely :) good read didn't want to put it down

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful 1)
Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful 1) by Jamie McGuire (Paperback - 14 Aug 2012)