Thirteen Weddings
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£3.85+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Bronte feels like she is happily settled in the UK now, having moved over from her native Australia a few years ago. She's got a good job working on a magazine, good friends and feels happy. However, she didn't expect to bump into someone she had a one night stand with a few years ago, a guy called Alex who seemed to have captured her heart. He's now engaged to Zara, and the fact he's a new work colleague is starting to make life difficult for Bronte - she's struggling to deal with all these feelings. When she gets a new part time job as a wedding photographer, Bronte thinks she might have found her calling, even though she finds it hard to be surrounded by all the loved-up couples. When she's told she has photograph Alex's wedding, Bronte realises she really needs to move on, but can't seem to stay away - will she be able to let Alex and Zara have their happy ever after?

I have to say that I felt this book was very different to Paige's other books. The story is really a love triangle - which man Bronte should end up with, and why. Paige's books are usually more than this, but that really is all there is to this book, and I was a bit surprised at that to be honest. Bronte has to decide whether she wants to be with Lachie, a guitar player she meets at a wedding she is photographing, or Alex, who is of course engaged, but she can't seem to get him out of her head. I didn't like that Bronte wanted to keep going after a man who was with another woman - I never think it's okay to do something like that and therefore in my head it was a no-brainer as to who she should be with - I didn't like that she couldn't move on from him, and was willing to sacrifice his relationship for them to be together.

The wedding photography aspect of the book was really good, and definitely my favourite thing about the book. There are thirteen weddings mentioned in the book, and each of them is so unique, I really did enjoy reading about each of them, and finding out what style the wedding would be, where it would be and about the new bride and groom. Obviously, each one isn't done in huge detail, enough to make it come alive in your mind, but I loved Bronte's descriptions as she was taking her photographs. Paige Toon has obviously researched photography carefully when writing this book, and writes about it with authority, I loved reading about Rachel and Bronte and their job. It's clearly a passion for both characters and that comes across so well.

As we move through the different weddings in the book, we find out that Bronte has a serious dislike of churches too. It takes quite a while for her reasoning to be revealed, and I have to confess I was shocked. It's nothing like anything that Paige has covered in her books before, but I thought it was really well handled, and goes some way to explain Bronte's reluctance towards relationships as well, and it made me sympathise with Bronte too. Bronte is a good character, likeable for the most part, except for her obsession with a taken man, perhaps mainly due to the fact they had such unfinished business from before. I found Alex dislikeable from the beginning, I just couldn't warm to him and didn't understand what it was Bronte saw in him. Then there's lovely Lachie, who seemed like the perfect man to me, and I just wanted Bronte to choose him. For me, it was a no-brainer, but clearly not for Bronte! Other friends make appearances, some with bigger roles than others but the story mainly focuses on these three people.

This was an enjoyable book, with a good cast of characters and a story that will keep you wanting to read until the end to find out exactly who Bronte is going to end up with. As I mentioned before, we do catch up with a few characters from previous books - Lily (Pictures of Lily), Laura (The Longest Holiday) and Alice (One Perfect Summer). I love this aspect of Paige's books more than anything, and it really keeps you in touch with those characters you've loved from before, it's so great! Paige's writing, as usual, is spot on and so easy to read and follow, there's humour, sadness, happiness and sadness weaved within the story and Paige Toon writes each of these with ease. It's a great book, Paige balances Bronte's love life with the more serious themes in the book, and it makes for great reading overall. I enjoyed the book, and can't wait for my next book from Paige Toon.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 August 2014
Paige Toon is the author that transformed me into a chick-lit lover, and so a new book written by her is always an exciting time for me. Given that I’m not really a massive fan of reading about weddings, or love triangles, Thirteen Weddings was probably a strange choice of book for me to read but Paige Toon has never let me down so far and she definitely didn’t here. Actually, Thirteen Weddings has been my favourite of her novels so far.

That cover and synopsis would sell any book to me but Thirteen Weddings had a lot more to it than what’s revealed on the back of the book. It’s more than Bronte simply not being able to let go of her one night stand – it was at times a light read, and always entertaining but then in turn, there were some heavier themes worked into the plot, in Paige’s typical stunning fashion. What I was intrigued by the most was Bronte’s new job as a wedding photographer, since we learn early on that she is not a believer in marriage and has a general fear of churches too. It was a fascinating story.

If I’m honest, as soon as I read the prologue, I was kind of disappointed it was just the prologue because I loved it. So much so, I would have been happy to see the story continue straight on from then onwards rather than a year and a half later. Although that might have had something to do with the fact that I fell a little bit in love with Alex at the beginning and his obvious chemistry and connection with Bronte was great to read. Further on in the book, Thirteen Weddings brings us a love triangle though not the one I’d been envisioning before reading. The introduction of Lachie made me feel about as confused as Bronte did about her feelings. Lachie was such an uplifting character – I couldn’t read his involvement in the book without a smile on my face, even though my heart was always with Alex. I could understand both ways for Bronte and thought Paige wrote this aspect of the book smoothly and it was unpredictable.

From the beginning, I thought I knew where this story was going to go but throughout, there were twists and lots of brave and bold writing that I couldn’t be sure of anything. I felt like I was reading a Paige Toon novel at her absolute best. Her gorgeous writing is so easy to read – I love how she touches on and mentions characters from previous books because we all like to know how the characters we left behind are doing don’t we? Friendship was a big theme in Thirteen Weddings too and I adored so many of the characters we meet. Bronte’s friendship with Bridget and Maria was a real joy to read and I loved how supportive Bridget was, especially with the cracks beginning to show with Poppy, who had a really interesting sub-plot here.

There was really nothing for me to dislike about Thirteen Weddings. The concept of photographing thirteen weddings did make me think it might become a little repetitive but that was not the case at all. Each wedding was different from the rest and some of the people Bronte met during her wedding photography, in fact most of them, were nuts and completely livened up the book. I fell in love with Paige Toon’s writing all over again and it was a satisfying ending, only marred by the fact that it had actually ended. I will be waiting impatiently for more from this brilliant author.
on 19 October 2014
I am a big Paige Toon lover. There's something about her books that have you trapped from the very first page. They are easy to read and always leave you smiling.
The story starts at Polly's hen do. Polly has been Bronte's friend for years but she hasn't seen Polly for a while. Polly lives in England while Bronte is in Australia. Bronte doesn't believe in marriage so Polly is pretty shocked when she agreed to come over for the wedding. At the hen do Bronte meets Alex.
Alex well what can I say this boy is a hot sexy loadda trouble. He was trouble from the moment Bronte laid eyes on him.
A year and a half later and Bronte is returning to England after landing a 1 year job at the UK office of the magazine Hebe where she already worked in Australia. I really liked Bronte. She is stubborn and very damaged but I think deep down she just wanted to be loved.
I was so happy to spend some more time with Bridget. She became a great friend to Bronte. Bridget is the best person to have around, she has an infectious personality. I hope that Paige writes a book focused on Bridget one day.
I was very intrigued to see why Bronte was afraid of churches and why she was so adamant that she didn't believe in marrige. I had a few guesses up my sleeves but I was way off.
When we met Lachie I thought uh oh here comes more trouble but the more we saw of him the more I liked him and the more I was rooting hot him over Alex despite the obvious chemistry between Bronte and Alex.
I've always been a fan of how Paige links all her books. It makes them seem
on 15 June 2014
Yay! I was screaming and dancing around when this book arrived one day before pub date. As soon as I finished the book I was reading I started with this one. Paige Toon is one of my favourite authors and I just love her writing, so I was really curious about it.

The story follows Bronte, if you already read Pictures of Lily by Paige Toon you might recognize her. It all starts at a hen night where Bronte meets gorgeous Alex and they share a night of passion, then she leaves for Australia again, where she lives.
One and a half years later she’s back in the UK, working there for a year. It turns out that Alex works at the same place and they meet again, their chemistry and connection is sparkling again, but Alex is engaged now.
That makes everything really weird and uncomfortable for both of them. Bronte is really confused.

Through a friend Bronte gets the possibility to be a photographer at weddings and she really likes it. At a wedding she meets Lachie, an Australian musician, and they become great friends, she is also very attracted to him, but there is still Alex.

Bronte has a great group of friends and I loved reading about Bridget again (remember her from The Longest Holiday?!). They meet regularly at the pub and have lots of fun. Sometimes they also accompany Bronte to weddings.
Alex is really weird sometimes; asking Bronte weird stuff and their night comes up several times. At a wedding of two of their friends they get closer and share a passionate kiss. That makes Alex ignore her for several weeks, but Bronte knows that she is in love with him. It only get weirder when she meets his fiancé.

There is Lachie as well and he’s flirting with her all the time. She likes him a lot, which only makes her feelings more confusing. She is torn between two man, not able to be with one and not wanting to hurt the other one. I really felt with her and just wanted her to find her true love. From time to time she suffered from bad dreams, connected to her childhood, we only find out towards the end, what it was all about. Lachie was there for her all the time and so caring. I really wasn’t sure whether to be on team Alex or Team Lachie, I liked them both, both definitely have book boyfriend potential. Eventually Lachie and Bronte get closer.
Wedding #13 is Alex’s wedding and Bronte has to be there and take pictures, is that really a good idea? Everything gets really interesting from this point forward, with a lot of drama, I couldn’t put the book down!!!

As a reader you really don’t know, who she’s going to pick in the end or whether Alex marries his fiancé. At a moment a got really angry with Alex, because he didn’t seem to realise the truth, only when it was too late. I have to say I was probably more on Team Alex. Bronte made her own choice and I really loved the ending. We also get to hear about older Paige Toon characters again. Not only in the end, but also in between. So Joe Strike and Lily fans, keep your eyes open. I was so happy with the news and it put a real big smile on my face.

The book also covers the topic of friendship and being there for friends and the topic of alcoholism. Covering difficult topics and still find a heart warming and cute style to write is just BRILLIANT!!! Bronte’s past is also present all the time and I loved the way Paige put this all into one story. Her writing is so gripping, dramatic, romantic, sweet, compelling…

The Thirteen Weddings were great to read about and all so different. Bronte is a warm and passionate character and her feelings really came through during the whole story.

This book actually calls for more of Bronte!! I say that after all the Paige Toon books, because she creates wonderful characters and still wanna be part of their story. It’s great that the books are all somehow connected. I also think that it’s time for Bridget to have her own story!!!

AMAZING!!! I was able to dive into the story and be a part of it. ♥♥♥
on 28 May 2014
Loved this book, the tension builds, you think the story is going to go one way & it turns leads you another way & then turns again. I couldn't put it down & have been reading whilst I should have been doing other things! I hope there is going to be a sequel? Also love the characters from previous books popping up too.
on 16 June 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I have done with every Paige Toon book. Waiting impatiently for the next amazing book by this wonderful author.
on 13 June 2014
Well, I for one am confused with some of the bad reviews on here. Were we reading different books? I loved this book, same as I love all Paige Toon books - well written, brilliant story line -what more do people want? Keep it up Paige and ignore the one stars!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bronte meets Alex when she travels from her home in Australia to Great Britain to attend her best friend’s wedding and the attraction is immediate and sizzling. Both newly single they indulge in a night of passion before Alex’s girlfriend of eight years, Zara, decides that she wants to get back together with him and give their relationship another try. Alex makes his choice and regretfully they part and continue with their lives in different continents, until a year later Bronte is offered a dream job on a year’s contract in the UK. She is totally gob smacked when she meets Alex again, working in the same office as she is. He is now engaged to Zara and they have planned a December wedding. Both work hard at maintaining a professional and friendly relationship but secretly Bronte cannot forget their one night together.

During her year in the UK she has made good friends and has accepted an ad-hoc arrangement to assist a wedding photographer at a series of weddings. Along the way she meets a fellow Aussie, Lachie, who becomes one of her close circle of friends. He attends some of the weddings as a singer/guitarist and by the time he is ready to go back to Australia, Bronte is very sad to wave him goodbye.

As December looms closer and closer she discovers that Alex returns her feelings and Bronte begins to hope that they can get back together. Called to assist the wedding photographer at the last moment at Alex and Zara’s wedding, she is devastated when Alex goes ahead and marries Zara. She resolves to put him out of her mind and get on with her life.

This novel is very readable, with strong characterisation and many issues to be examined, like star-crossed lovers, alcoholism and issues of deeply buried family secrets that have badly affected lives. As Bronte seeks resolution to her problems she finds that the answers to her dreams are closer to her than she believes. I really enjoyed this novel.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
“Sometimes you have to step out of the light to see clearly again…”

This quote on the back cover is what initially drew me to it on the shelf at Asda :) It really spoke to me and it is what allowed me to have a really open mind throughout the novel, usually i’d be right along side everyone else saying Bronte was either meant to be with Alex or Lachie. On this out of world moment i didn’t feel i had to do that and that i didn’t have to get extremely angry or upset with the characters decisions…although there were times :)

Having that quote in my mind throughout the novel allowed me to stop and take in the situations more, but it was once you truly get into the story that i realised i really relate to the situations and predicaments the characters are placed in.

“…you can’t help who you fall in love with…”

I’m sure we’ve all heard or been told this at least in our lives and if your lucky enough not to have experienced exactly what that entails yet then Thirteen Weddings is a great eye-opener for you. Once i read that quote it made me realise that although Thirteen Weddings is a work of fiction, people could learn a lot from the story and its characters, i know i have.

Thanks to Paige Toon for writing this amazingly heart-warming yet realistic novel, it’s helped me realise many things but also helped me through a rough time as my grandpa has recently passed away within the last couple of days. I look forward to reading more of Paige Toon’s work :)
on 8 February 2015
I sit here having just read this book in one sitting of around five solid hours and wonder what I can say about this book that fans of Paige Toon will not already know. It has been a while since I have picked up a Paige Toon book, but I have missed her writing and have been looking forward to this book reaching the top of my TBR pile. Her books are divine, and always have been. After just a few pages of Thirteen Weddings, I remember why she is one of the best chick lit authors ever.

Thirteen Weddings starts with a first chapter which draws you in and leaves you wishing you could meet a man like Alex in an eighties club whilst on a hen do you don't really want to be at. You are immediately left on a bit of a cliff hanger as the book then jumps a year and a half forward (and part of me longs for it to have continued without a break). What follows is a complicated web which soon becomes a love triangle when Bronte meets Lachie at a wedding. The relationships and interactions contained in this book are likely to leave you as confused as Bronte.

I loved the wedding photography aspect. The descriptions of various weddings were captivating and this was a career I had not read about before. It was interesting to read (never boring or repetitive) and I liked the variety of characters that it brought to the page.

I also loved getting to re-visit Lily and Ben from Pictures of Lily, a book which I adored and still have fond memories of, despite it being three and a half years since I read it. I think there are other 'friends from the past' contained within (but I must own up and say I have not read every Paige Toon book going - something which I must rectify this year!)

I have to be honest and say that I do not know how I feel about the ending. I felt more love for one of the guys in this book than the other, and I kind of wish things had turned out differently, but I can entirely see why things turned out how they did. Girls - are you on Team Alex or Team Lachie?