5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
As a parent of a child with autism I wholeheartedly loved this book, it was beautifully written and I couldn't put it down. It made me cry it made me reflect it allowed me to understand my son so much better - a must read for all parents with children on the autism spectrum.
Published 21 months ago by dr timothy petterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay
Oh I wanted to like this, I really did - Still Alice was so good. But it just didn't work for me. It's an easy read and I certainly feel like it's left me with a better understanding of what the experience of autism might be like, but it just felt far too clunky and contrived to me.

It's the story of two women, both living in Nantucket, who don't know each...
Published on 6 Nov. 2012 by Julia Flyte

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, 6 Nov. 2012
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love Anthony (Hardcover)

It's the story of two women, both living in Nantucket, who don't know each other. Olivia has come to Nantucket after the death of her autistic son Anthony and the subsequent breakdown of her marriage. Whilst we know from the outset that Anthony is dead, we don't find out what happened until near the end. Olivia is grieving and not sure how to go forward from here.

Beth is the mother of three daughters and at the start of the book she discovers that her husband is having an affair and kicks him out. Her girlfriends rally round, she wonders whether to give her husband another chance and she starts writing a book. Despite knowing next to nothing about autism, she starts writing a story about an autistic boy called Anthony which just happens to be uncannily accurate about the real life Anthony and the things he did with his mother. Meanwhile Olivia is reading through her old diaries so we get the same stories from two viewpoints.

None of the characters feel terribly rounded. It's the kind of story where Olivia can pick up a new career with ease and where one session with a marriage guidance counsellor gives you all the insight you need. I felt when I was reading it like I was reading a Jane Green novel. I thought it was okay, but nothing more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Love Anthony (Kindle Edition)
so why have i only given four stars and described it as brilliant? erm, just because it wasnt quite as good as Still Alice. so maybe thats not fair, and i should of given still alice 5+!!! looking forward to reading Left Neglected

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Love Anthony (Hardcover)
Still Alice much better. This was a good read but not a stunning one and it was an interesting subject but....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read and informative too., 9 Jan. 2013
Cloudwatcher (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Anthony (Hardcover)
This is a story about Anthony, a young boy with autism. It's a story about his mother, her relationship with his father, the destructive side to this condition both in physical and mental terms. It's also about a woman coming to terms with her husband's infidelity and who through writing the story of Anthony learns about herself too.
But it's no ordinary story she writes. She only ever saw Anthony from a distance once on the beach, she wrote a short story about him and years later, when she needed to do something for herself, set to and wrote the story of Anthony. What was astonishing for Anthony's mother was that it WAS Anthony speaking, his life which this woman could know nothing about at all as they weren't friends when the book was written. It was as if Anthony was using Beth, the writer, as a channel for his life story.
I lived next door to a family with an autistic child, a boy of five at the time, and never really understood what was involved in his daily care. The family kept to themselves, which I can understand as people used to stare at him when he was screaming. This book served to inform me about just what it must have been like for them, and if more people read it, then there would be more understanding and patience perhaps, for those parents and children living with this condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Anthony. 3.5 Stars, 14 Oct. 2012
Susie B - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love Anthony (Hardcover)
Beth lives in Nantucket, an island off the coast of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, with her husband, Jimmy, and their three daughters. On the whole, she has a reasonably happy and fulfilled life - that is until she receives a card in the post from a woman who informs Beth that she is sleeping with her husband and that Jimmy is in love with her. (Not a spoiler, we learn this right at the beginning of the novel). Beth's world is turned upside down; she tells Jimmy to leave and is almost surprised when he immediately does so. But where does Beth go from here? Trying to rebuild her life, Beth decides to return to her writing, which is something she has put on hold since having a family, but she struggles to find a subject for her novel. Influenced by reading a book about an autistic child, which reminds Beth of an encounter she had on a beach some years before with a beautiful, but unusual boy, she decides that her novel will be a first person narrated story of a boy with autism. Inspired by a dream about the young boy on the beach, Beth finds the book almost writes itself - but how can she be sure that she has given a realistic account of what it is like to be on the autistic spectrum?

Olivia is married to David; they have one son, Anthony, who, when he is three years old is diagnosed with autism. Olivia struggles to come to terms with the fact that her beautiful son cannot speak to her, does not want to be cuddled and rarely gives her eye contact. Does Anthony know how much she loves him? Does he love her? Just when Olivia feels that she is beginning to come to terms with Anthony's autism, a tragedy occurs and Anthony dies. (Again, not a spoiler, we know this from the beginning of the story). Olivia leaves her home and her husband, and moves into a cottage in Nantucket in order to try to cope with her loss and to understand the meaning of her son's short life. And it is while she is trying to rebuild her life, that Olivia meets Beth and, through this meeting, she is able to connect once more with the beautiful child she thought she had lost forever. 'Love Anthony' is about two women who are both, to varying degrees, struggling to accept that their lives have changed and who are journeying towards the realization that their problems must be faced, dealt with and accepted before they can move forwards.

Lisa Genova's descriptions of life on an island and of the turn of the seasons in Nantucket are skilfully executed and she writes convincingly and sensitively about autism - a condition which she readily admits affects each individual differently as she quotes: "If you've met one child with autism, you've met one child with autism." The author also carefully uses two ways of referring to autism in her book: a boy with autism - where the focus is on the person, who should not be defined by and only by autism; and an autistic boy - where the emphasis is on autism being perceived as a trait to be accepted, as part of the person, like being brown-eyed or blond. Terminology aside, 'Love Anthony' is a story about motherhood, relationships, love, faith, trust and acceptance; but there is also a rather mystical element to this story - an element that readers may either accept or discount (I must admit that I found this aspect a little unconvincing) but which nevertheless adds another dimension to this interesting and thought-provoking novel.

3.5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suz, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Love Anthony (Hardcover)
I had no idea about autism, I have never met anyone with it or a parent who's child has it...but I feel i have lived with these people and can totally relate to how this condition is for the child/parent/friends/family. This is the first book of Lisa Genova's i have read and i will be rushing to get the others she has written. This book is pure brilliance, pure art and pure genius. It ticks every book of every list anyone could want in a book, love, heart break, family, commitment...and so much more. I loved all the characters and the the descriptions of the places. I loved the way it was written and i really loved the connection between characters without them really encountering. To say i loved this book is an understatement.... this is one book that will sit on my shelf and i will pick up and read again....and i never read a book twice....pure brilliance!! Thank you Lisa Genova for a brilliant piece of work

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding....., 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Love Anthony (Kindle Edition)
I think any book gives you what you are looking for at the time. I realise as I finished this book I was looking for patience and understanding in my relationship with my 20yr old son. I wept buckets. Lisa Genova understands relationships, human flaws, the need for forgiveness - particularly of oneself. I feel the subject of autism is simply a conduit for much more which she captures so well in the final chapters.
Left Neglected is another superb book. Still Alice was bought for me several years ago. Too raw to finish for me, I intend to return to it some day when I feel less fearful. Thank you Lisa Genova.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved Love Anthony, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Love Anthony (Kindle Edition)
I love Lisa Genova books, they always make you think about syndromes that you've never really thought about but within a really good story and this was no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insight into autism, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Love Anthony (Hardcover)
Great book. Taught me some things that I didn't know (as a doctor) about autism whilst being a good fictional read too. I like Lisa Genova and was not disappointed.

Love Anthony
Love Anthony by Lisa Genova (Paperback - 18 July 2013)