4.0 out of 5 stars Bruce Review
Just finished this well written and researched biography of Bruce Springsteen,and in my opinion
is the best biography of Bruce Springsteen written so far.
It offers up new information into the motivations and writing of Bruce Springsteen the artist,
Published on 1 Nov. 2012 by michael j(Newcastle Upon Tyne)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but incomplete
Published on 27 Mar. 2013 by Mark Savage

4.0 out of 5 stars Bruce Review, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Bruce (Hardcover)
is the best biography of Bruce Springsteen written so far.
while also offering up new revelations to what drove Bruce the individual to succeed in the world of rock n roll.
As a Springsteen fan the other thing I like about the book is that Carlin has not written another fan worship biography
(as so many biographies seem to be these days)but a well rounded, interesting and exciting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading!, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Bruce (Mass Market Paperback)
This is simple to review. If you love Bruce Springsteen's music and your adult life is intertwined with his songs, you have to read this comprehensive biography of the man. For added effect I decided to listen to the music I was reading about him making , which further enriched the experience. Also, understanding better what was on his mind at the time of his recordings opened up new avenues of my appreciation of the songs. Peter Carlin does a brilliant job and his writing is excellent. Bruce fans...this is essential reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crackling, fizzy, exciting biography, 16 Nov. 2012
M. Jones "PublisherM" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce (Hardcover)
Before I start - I hold my hands up here - I'm the UK editor for this book. But check me out, I've not written an amazon review for many years, that was on a book I hadn't worked on, and I'm writing one now, not because I'm an editor, but because I'm a fan. Springsteen fans, and music fans in general, are notorious for trumpeting to the world the details of their obsession. I am no different. I first listened to Thunder Road, off the live album, when I was 14/15 years old. My friends were listening to The Thompson Twins, Deacon Blue, Simple Minds and Morrissey. I got hooked on Springsteen. Since then I've listened to everything he's ever produced, watched all the films, been to many concerts, hooked my own kids on him, and read everything there's been to read - and I just need to say that this is the best, most interesting and exciting book that's ever been written about him. Its detailed, yes, but never at the expense of telling a good and meaningful story. Its full of stories, anecdotes, memories that I'd never read about Springsteen before, and not surprisingly given that the author was given, by Springsteen himself, such great access to management, the band members (Carlin had the last interview with Clarence Clemons before he died) friends, girlfriends, and most importantly, family. The photos of Springsteen, the author found on his travels and through his interviews are unique and superb. The era Springsteen grew up in, his own obsession with music, his struggle to break through and then the rise to become perhaps America's foremost musical chronicler of his generation, are beautifully and vividly written about. As with all the best biographies, whoever the subject, at the end of the book I felt I knew the subject so much better. Its a great book, and I'm not just saying that...

4.0 out of 5 stars Lopsided, but still excellent, 1 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Bruce (Kindle Edition)
I have read many Springsteen biographies, especially the Dave Marsh brace. This is a different kettle of fish completely - Bruce is painted here as a meticulous control freak with little respect for his E Street bandmates or his romantic ex-partners. The music comes first, second and third in this warts n' all biography, which pulls no punches.

To my mind, I would prefer some balance in the good things he has done, rather than dwelling on just the bad. Also, for a 436 page book, it spends around 200 pages covering up to and including the "Born to Run" era. This means that the book is terribly lopsided in its focus - the early years are covered exhaustively, but it leaves less than 236 pages to cover the remainder of his career (around 38 years!)

This gives the book a bit of a rushed feel, which is a shame because a biography that took the same care as the early years would be a) multi-part and b) the most indepth biography ever written.

Don't get me wrong, the book almost reads itself, it is so good and it has a lot of anecdotes which are revelatory.

I bought it at its original price and it was well worth the money. At £4.99, it is a steal. Get it quick before they put the price back up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insight, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Bruce (Kindle Edition)
Biographies by fans can sometimes be overly gushing, and it's pretty obvious that Peter Carlin is a fan, but he manages to avoid falling into the "fan trap" too much. Having enjoyed Springsteen's music for almost 40 years, this is my first time reading a biography about him.

I enjoyed the history itself; the names and backgrounds of the people involved in the early days in particular. The book provided a useful insight into what makes Bruce Springsteen "tick", and how his relationships with those around him have evolved. He doesn't always come across as the most likeable of people, but a hugely interesting one just the same. Glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book on Bruce Springsteen!, 5 Aug. 2014
Musicfan (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bruce (Kindle Edition)
I have books on Springsteen by Marsh (clearly a fan and not objective), Heylin ((E Street Shuffles- more of a track listing of various performances than a biography), Outerman (its ok), Sandford (Point Blank - hard going!) and various others and all are ok but lack something. All the books I have read on Springsteen have left me feeling less than satisified and thinking THE book has not yet been written. This book has changed that feeling. It is well researched. It has insight from the many interviews. It is well written. it is informative. It is a very good read. It is the best book and the best written book on Bruce I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would like to have seen a discography and some details on chart success but that is a minor point as that informaiton is available elsewhere. if you want a good book and a very good read on Springsteen this is the one. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruce by Peter Ames Carlin, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bruce (Hardcover)
What appears to be a thoroughly researched and honest review. Like all biographies, the author likes his subject and therefore judges him more kindly than others might. However it seems to get behind the driving forces of the subject and gives interesting perspectives - about him, his contacts and previous biographies. It has been well worth reading. Not a book to gobble up in one sitting but one to savour over a number of days. A must for fans

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but incomplete, 27 Mar. 2013
Mark Savage "MrMSav" (East Anglia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce (Hardcover)
A good book, readable and objective as far as one can tell, certainly not unrestrained hero-worship so that is good. I suppose my main criticism of it would be that coverage of the recent, more prolific years in terms of releases and perhaps tours, are only loosely covered and there is much one would like to know. I suppose though, rigorous editing is required to keep such a book manageable and the author has achieved that overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most satisfying Bruce biography so far, 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Bruce (Hardcover)
Carlin’s biography of Springsteen is the best that I have read. I actually read it this summer together with Jeff Burger’s Springsteen on Springsteen. Together the two books gave me a lot of inspiration, new thoughts and information and a kick to go back to the albums and listen to them all over again.
Carlin’s book is well researched and obviously well informed by contacts to Bruce and all the people that have been close to his music. He is particularly good in his account Bruce’s formative years, his early bands, the recording of his first 8 albums, and – not least – his family background. And of course on his special relationship with the E-Street Band, including the ups and downs of that relationship. The coverage of the later years (after Tunnel of Love) is less detailed, more uneven. Albums like Magic and Working on a Dream get less attention in spite of the fact that Carlin is trying to faithfully follow the idea that there is a main thread in the stories that Bruce wants to tell. So Working on a Dream can’t really be discarded on the grounds of minor commercial success.
Some of the really good details in the book are the accounts of the recording of the individual albums that help to explain the different sound on e.g. Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town. Also the book throws new light on Bruce’s relationship to Mike Appel. It’s always nice to get the nuances right, and Appel is credited for propelling Bruce’s career to a whole different level. We all know that Landau has played a big role, but the book also shows that people like Toby Scott and Chuck Plotkin have been very important in Bruce’s everlasting search for just the right musical expression.
The inspiration in Bruce’s music that stems from the darker recesses of his inner life is well covered without any danger of overdoing it. In fact the whole tone and approach of the narrative is well balanced, and exactly for that reason it is very engaging.
I choose to recommend this particular biography – among the incredible mass of books on the topic – because it is convincing in its portrayal of the artist, what has inspired him, his legendary work ethics, his ongoing search for new ways of expressing himself, and also the more troubled sides to his character. And, honestly, it is refreshing to read a biographer writing in this field who is actually deeply familiar with the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars boss book, 1 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Bruce (Hardcover)
Excellent insight in to early Bruce years I have read many books on springsteen I thought there was nothing left to know
This book I discovered more about the boss

Bruce
Bruce by Peter Ames Carlin (Mass Market Paperback - 23 May 2013)