4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I've been waiting for
Published on 6 July 2012 by wannabe_dragon

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Oh come on... £80,000 as a start-up. If you are looking for tips on how to get started as a small business WITHOUT huge capital outlay, this book is not for you. The layout is far too chaotic, most of the advice is common sense and there are better business books out there.
Published on 16 Sep 2012 by Maya

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Sep 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table (Hardcover)
I was really hopeful when I chose this book as our business is in a similar line - online retail (and I love notonthehighstreet as a customer). However, all I really learnt was how to build a successful business if you can raise a large amount of capital and have a couple of founder members with a very strong background in PR/Marketing and with it a very wide range of just the right contacts. With regard to juggling a family with running a business, the approach taken seemed to be to not see your children for days at a time and leave them with a nanny (nice if you can afford it!). I think they have done fantastically well to set up their business as they have but I didn't warm to the writers as I felt they hugely underestimated the particular advantages that they had, for example, responding to comments that their substantial marketing background, working for some very high profile women's magazines etc.) gave them an advantage, they said that you "make your own luck". It reminded me of the book I read about Rachel Elnaugh who set up Red Letter Days and who just happened to have a husband who could invest a large amount in the business, a flatmate who happened to work for one of the top advertising agencies in London etc. I think there are better books available for startups.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Hoped For, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table (Hardcover)
I was disappointed with this book. I am trying to get my own business started and I have bought a lot of books to research before I take the plunge.

NOTHS is a beautiful, slick website with lovely original handmade gifts so I expected a high calibre of accessible relevant advice for wannabe web entrepreneurs like me.

This little book - and it's worth saying I always read books cover to cover - reads like an extended and overindulgent magazine biopic. Holly and Sophie describe their juggernaut journey through setting up in business and allow us more than a glimpse at their resulting domestic angst. I am sorry but - yawn. In terms of the nitty gritty of how to get that embryonic idea off the kitchen table as the title page promises there was very little. My burning question in fact, looking at a photo in the book of the NOTHS team in 2008, is - what did all those people do back in the day? If anything scares me about the viability of my little web idea it's the fact that I might need to pay a dozen people just to help me get it online.

Sorry girls, not my cup of tea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I've been waiting for, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table (Hardcover)
When I first heard about this book, I had high hopes about what it could teach me. Spent yesterday reading it cover to cover and it's even better than I expected! Not just the things you learn about the nitty gritty necessities (marketing, fundraising, finance, business plans etc etc) but the other stuff too - what it's REALLY like to start a business when you've got a family at home and an honest account of the big highs and big lows the authors experienced themselves. The information (it showed me all the things I could apply to my own business model, rather than just listing facts and figures) and gives just the right amount of detail you need, and most importantly is written in plain English not business jargon. I just wish it had been out sooner so I could have saved money on the other books I forked out for that weren't nearly as comprehensive and accessible. All in all, I think it's an invaluable toolkit for anyone who wants to start their own company (and I think I've answered the reviewer below's question!) and I know my copy is going to be well thumbed before too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A business book asking the right questions, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table (Hardcover)
I am a small business owner and wish I would have had a guide like this book when I first started my venture. The book provides a great insight of details many small start up-businesses can learn from and asks the right questions whether the initial idea is good enough to take it to the next level. The book is honest and witty, you won't regret buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars average, 27 July 2012
Mr. J. Fulton (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table (Hardcover)
I was excited by the books title build a business from your kitchen table which suggests a rags to riches formula but the authors make it clear early on this is not the intention of the book and admit they needed to raise £80,000 to launch their business at which point i lost touch with the book , £80,000 is beyond my wildest dreams although the story of not on the high street is full of intriuge and i can see that the journey , the story , the advice is perhaps capable of inspiring people who may wish to start or are already running a business , The book is crammed with useful advice but i found the layout a little bit busy and distracting personally like it takes too much information to make the point quickly and found myself having to read it over to understand the point but maybe thats just me lost in translation . I ordered this book along with another business book at the same time i found both books contained sound advice but i found the other book more practical in the setting up of a buiness but build a business from your kitchen table more valuable once you hit the ground running and coping with the day to day running and all the problems associated with running a business .

5.0 out of 5 stars I sell on notonthehighstreet..., 9 July 2012
This review is from: Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table (Hardcover)
I received my copy of this a few days ago and I've been reading it every spare moment. I'm a small business selling on notonthehighstreet and I've got to say that this book does reflect them and their values. Joining them was a great business decision and I'm so glad they've brought this book out. It's practical, useful and realistic.I've already recommended to several people I know will get a lot from it. If you harbour dreams of setting up a business- get this book,it can only help!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry - Disappointed, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table (Hardcover)
I was really looking forward to reading this book as I love the website, and it is unique and fun great shopping experience. But, I am sorry to say I am not enjoying the book. Yes is has a lovely cover, you can easily reference and you can carry easily in your handbag, but, the content is more of your mother giving you a stern talking too as opposed to inspiring an entrepreneur. I would say if you want to be taught what they would teach you in business school and your business will have a lot of over-heads/start-up costs go for it but if you don't I would save your pennies.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to be ready, but when you are my goodness, this book is for you., 19 April 2014
I did not know I was ready until I read this book. All the other books, which are amazing, such as Free Range Humans led up to this point. I want to thank the writers for what is an honest, straight forward insight into starting from scratch. You have to know what it is you are loving and going to do. This book will put it into perspective. My husband bought it for me for my birthday 3 days ago, since then I have bought my company name, registered it at companies house and have spoken to 5 people to discuss possible employment. If you are lost, worried then this is not for you... you need to be on the cusp of a good idea. These ladies will help to give you the strength and bottle to make the first bloody step I promise. I for one hope that I can personally meet them to say thank you so very much for changing my life from a crying, snotty confused looser to a women with fire, strength and an idea that is untouchable. no one can touch, but I was ready. I hope you are too. Go and grow, good luck x

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect especially for female business starters., 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table (Hardcover)
Current, relevant and real. Two mum's show how they've succeeded in business and how you can too. Layout of the book is really good for flicking through or a thorough read.

Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table
Build a Business from Your Kitchen Table by Holly Tucker (Hardcover - 5 July 2012)