5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !
Funny, sardonic, troubled, hilarious, tragic...and often all on one page! Great read - love Liz's column and this book is a treat. Clearly she is a bit 'marmite' going by some of the negative reviews, but if you like her articles you will enjoy this no end. Had a real sense of sadness, but ultimately you feel Liz is a unique, quirky character and her own person.
Published 6 months ago by smiffy1

1.0 out of 5 stars inconsistent, rehashed and recycled.
I've followed Liz Jones avidly since the early days of her Daily Mail diary column, documenting her marriage and subsequent breakdown to Nirpal Singh Dhaliwal. I have to confess that initially I felt sorry for her as he treated her absymally, although I've always thought that her constant name-dropping of designer articles and cost of, extremely grating to say the least...
Published 19 months ago by Rosa Moline

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Just... awful., 5 July 2013
Andrew G. Doe - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girl Least Likely To: 30 Years of Fashion, Fasting and Fleet Street (Hardcover)
I'm giving this rubbish one star purely because there is no option for none. It is without doubt the poorest excuse for journalism I've read for many a year. Compiled in the main from her articles over the years (some of which are re-cast to fit her very poor memory), Jones cannot help but run people down, or tell flat out lies, and in this internet age, that's a very stupid thing to do. Example - she claims that after all her cards were declined by a hotel, she had to walk the streets of London all night. In fact, in the original article, her agent bailed her out... but then, this is a woman who forgets the date of her own wedding day (2002, not 2003 as stated) and contradicts herself from page to page (Jones was born September 1958, her sister February 1956, yet said sister is 18 months older, apparently).

Truly, a terrible book. Avoid at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Searing insight, 5 July 2013
I loved this book! I'd read lots of Liz Jones work in the past and so was looking forward to getting my paws on this at the earliest possible opportunity. I was gripped by her flawless writing, enlightened by her searing insight into the dark underbelly of the fashion leviathan and heartened by her selfless, philanthropic espousal of plus sized models and real women. It's so refreshing to read work by a high-profile woman who has made it to the top of the UK media on talent alone. How inspiring that she is using her position to encourage women to believe in themselves, their intelligence, their inner beauty and their right to choose how they live there lives. Most of all, I was delighted to find how much original, fresh material there is in the book, to silence the critics who say she just rehashes the same old half truths and product plugs week after week. The only thing is, none of this happened did it? I parted with my cash, trusting that a professional writer would take pride in her work, and I got a pile of tired, recycled themes, with the inevitable departures from reality that scramble her story lines and serve them up tepid and unpalatable. You missed such a chance here Miss Jones. You could have silenced your critics and risen above them. Instead you owe me a few quid and several hours of my life back. You bored and disappointed me and those are terrible things for a writer to do to anyone who trusts them enough to buy their book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did I bother?, 4 July 2013
I didn't hold out much hope for this, but in a moment of weakness I thought I would give Ms Jones the benefit of the doubt. After all, she apparently won an award for her 'writing' last year. Well, they do say no good deed goes unpublished. The book (I use the term loosely) is poorly written, consisting mainly of rehashes of material that has appeared in her columns since her ignominious departure from Exmoor. The only plus point to having this book is that it makes it easy to spot all the contradictory claims she makes about her life and everything that happens in it. I do pity her family, as she has an almost autistic inability to recognise subjects that just should NOT be discussed outside the family circle. One could forgive that if she had anything positive to say about her family, but no, like every other area of her life, it's all unremitting nastiness, ingratitude and misery. With Liz in the role of martyr, naturally. And did I fall asleep while reading, and miss the tedious Rock Star Boyfriend storyline? I don't remember reading about him... Too bad. I'm certainly not going to read it again to check - root canal treatment would be more fun!

She says her motto is 'why me?'. That's exactly what I was thinking while reading this tosh. This is the first book I have bought for my Kindle that I deleted within a few hours of purchasing it. Buyer, beware - and spend your money on something else!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Nasty, 5 July 2013
If this book had been called a collection or anthology of Liz Jones' writings for the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday then that would have at least been one honest thing.
Like another reviewer I bought this book (the kindle version) in the hope that some of the dreadful things she has said about her friends and family would be if not put right, put into some context other than Liz Jones ranting at the world. Well that didn't happen, it is indeed poorly written, inconsistent and is not informative or entertaining. I can't begin to imagine how the targets of her spite feel but reading this self pitying rubbish I hope they can manage to stay well clear of her.

1.0 out of 5 stars Must Try Harder, 6 July 2013
A lot of writers have a hook or an angle. ee cummings wrote without capital letters. Ernest Vincent Wright wrote Gadsby without using the letter E. Jones has managed to write an entire novel using almost exclusively the letter 'I'!

I say 'write', what I mean is rehash the diary entries and articles she wrote for the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, and which can be read free of charge by anyone in possession of a computer or smart phone and an Internet connection. Expecting to be paid twice for this tripe is laughable, so I would recommend that anyone with a burning desire to read this 'confessional' simply heads to their local charity shop. Or bin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is minus 5 stars?, 24 July 2013
In the unlikely circumstances that professional troll, Liz Jones, should ever con someone into publishing on her behalf no doubt the content would be unintelligible garbage. Oh, wait...! Sorry, my mind has a habit of blanking out bad experiences. Reading this tripe was a bad experience. If anything, Jones' scribblings only serve to illuminate the mindset of a severely Narcissistically Disordered Personality (see the DSM-V). If you don't know what my last sentence meant, then the sole shred of use this book could be to anyone is also lost. If you are an academic interested in understanding the plight of the incurable self-obsessed, I should point you in the direction of Sam Vaknin's books and videos on the subject of malignant self-love and not bother with this rubbish effort which comprises half-baked recycled tosh from the 'authors' newspaper column. Do not spend money on this - it's already printed on the tabloid website if you really must see for yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Appallingly bad, 9 Aug. 2013
Quite possibly the worst drivel it has ever been my misfortune to read. I really don't know why I bothered, reading her vindictive self absorbed columns surely should have been a warning not to bother with the book... but it was a gift so..
I kept plugging at it - thinking at some point there would be a glimmer of hope in the darkness.... but it seemed not. Ms Jones is a deeply narcissistic and dissociative person and there are no redeeming features in this book.
I was hoping that the book editors would have been more efficient than the Daily Mail but this book is just as badly written as her columns - with glaring inconsistencies, re-written events in a vain attempt to paint her life in a better light (I think she forgets that the previous versions still exist in cyberspace and can be recalled by the touch of a button).
Please may I have the time back?

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreary and depressing, 21 Aug. 2013
L. Holloway (Newark, Notts) - See all my reviews
I love Liz Jones' diary and her fashion articles and interviews, and when I saw this book I thought it would be perfect holiday reading.
How wrong I was. It is a dreary, depressing dirge of an unhappy childhood; someone who didn't like anything much, her sister, her parents, her home, herself. We are all familiar with Liz's weird eating problems and loathing of her body but this wasn't really about her career in fashion, except for the last bit, it was a miserable read and I couldn't finish it fast enough.

Usually in an autobiography there are highs and lows, but let me tell you there are precious few laughs in this book.

Actually I think it is a misleading title, which makes it sound light hearted and fun - there is no fun in Liz's life and you finish the book wondering how anyone could be so miserable for so long. By the end I didn't even feel sorry for her. Thank goodness I was on a happy Spanish holiday as it left a bitter taste and I actually deleted it from my Kindle because I know I NEVER want to read it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredulous!, 2 Aug. 2013
The main reason I'm giving this book a 1 Star review is that it can be read online for free. I was, at least, expecting 'something extra' but when I checked there genuinely isn't anything in here that can't already be found online..

As for the actual content of the book, I find it highly disturbing. This woman is severely mentally ill and I feel very bad that she has never managed to receive the help that she so desperately needs. Sometimes I find what she writes so incredulous that I do consider the possibility that she is a character made up or deliberately exaggerated by the Daily Mail.

This woman's life has been full of love from the start. She had two loving, hardworking parents. They were working class and not wealthy but there is nothing particularly unusual about that. Instead of making friends of her siblings she rejected them and has taken every action to alienate them.

She seems pathological incapable of self-awareness or considering the view point of the other human beings in her life. Whilst I was reading this book I felt that this is what it must have been like when in the Victorian era they used to visit psychiatric institutions in their spare time. I'm horrified that this book was published. This woman did not need a book deal; she needs to be sectioned.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd waited, 4 July 2013
That'll teach me. I bought this for my holiday reading but I do wish I had waited until Amazon started putting up reviews.

I couldn't finish the book as it was so tedious I kept falling asleep and upon waking didn't want to go back to it. This is of no possible interest to anyone besides the writer's family.

I can thorughly recommend it for insomniacs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›