4.0 out of 5 stars Mystery and Romance
Published 22 months ago by ACB(swansea)

3.0 out of 5 stars nice, ladies' book for nice ladies
Published 16 months ago by Peeking Man

4.0 out of 5 stars Mystery and Romance, 30 July 2013
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Santa Montefiore has written another engrossing and captivating novel. Ellen Trawton is the heroine who has a humdrum life in London under a controlling mother. She discovers a bundle of letters written to her mother from a hitherto unknown Aunt Peg who lives in Ireland. This is the spur Ellen needs to escape from her mundane existence. She takes off to Connemara, 'as if it is the very breath of God calling me home'.

Ellen encounters family secrets, mystery with a restless soul, romance and fortitude set against a glorious landscape that includes a ruinous lighthouse and a castle. As the atmospheric narrative develops, the tension, conflict and adventure that the author has introduced become apparent. This is an extremely enjoyable read that does not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Families and Hidden Pasts, 18 July 2013
C. Colley (Lincs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The West Coast of Ireland, an old lighthouse and a enchanting castle are the backdrop for this engaging story.
The story revolves around Ellen Trawton and the secrets she uncovers from her past. Ellen can't face her life in London anymore and longs for a fresh start. Rifling through some drawers at her family home, Ellen discovers some letters from a relative that her mother has never spoken about. The letters lead Ellen to her Aunt Peg, who lives in Connemara on the west coast of Ireland, and this is where the story begins to unravel.
Secrets of the Lighthouse ticks all my favourites in a book. It's a story about families, it's a romance and there is also a mystery element to the story. The setting is wonderful and atmospherically described.
I enjoyed this book from the start and found it an easy but compelling read. As the story begins to unfold, I guessed one or two things before they were fully revealed and it didn't spoil my enjoyment. The plot may not be really intricate, but the story is well-written and the characters are warm and interesting.
I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a sweeping story of families and love, set in a romantic location.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice, ladies' book for nice ladies, 21 Jan. 2014
Caitlin witnesses her own funeral in the West of Ireland and then moves around the ether, watching over her family and sometimes able to make ghostly contact. Her grief stricken husband was once a powerful movie producer. Ellen is a disenchanted Sloan Ranger (do they still have them?) who has come to West Ireland to `write a novel' and stay with Aunt Peg and `Uncle' Oswald. The whole set up is very Irish indeed with a Bollywood style finale.

There is not much doubt that Montefiore knows what she is doing. She is writing a piece of straight commercial romantic fiction a few levels above Mills & Boon. She does it very well indeed. I can't stand it myself - it's gushy and gooey - but it very well executed. It is what I would expect had Enid Blyton written for adults. It's uncontroversial, unchallenging down-the-line, nice ladies book for nice ladies, identical to Monetfiore's previous works

4.0 out of 5 stars The secrets of the Lighthouse by Santa Montefiore, 22 Jan. 2014
Absolutely loved this book, like all previous Santa Montefiore books I was caught up in the story from the very first page. I don't believe in telling the story on these rating sites as I think there is enough information from the blurb section when you click on the book to buy it. I think this should be a forum for people saying if they have enjoyed the book or not. Arrived in good time, well packaged and in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of the lighthouse, 25 July 2013
Amazing The best book I have read. I have only recently come across Santa's books but have read four in a month. This book totally absorbed me and having lost someone very dear I found the spiritual side of the book very comforting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Sept. 2013
I bought this book because it had so many good reviews. What a mistake. A barely believable plot, stereotypical characters and a "secret" that was so obvious I'd guessed it before I'd got to half way. The shade, Caitin, was vaguely interesting, but none of the other characters were, and the heroine Ellen was so wet I could have shaken her. If I hadn't been on holiday and had finished all my other books I wouldn't have stuck with it, and even so I was speed reading at the end. One of the worst books I've read for a while and I'll not be in a hurry to read others by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 23 Mar. 2015
💜. SECRETS OF THE LIGHTHOUSE BY SANTA MONTEFIORE

THE BLURB
A divided family, buried secrets and a love that will never die...

Ellen Trawton longed for a fresh start. But her past would not let her go. She has run away from London to the sweeping landscape of Connemara, hoping to find a place she can cut off all contact with the past. But beneath the wild beauty of the Irish landscape lie secrets which have been hidden for years

Conor Macausland cuts a dark, lonely figure. His young wife, Caitlin, died tragically at the old lighthouse, and her loss has devastated him. But when he and Ellen meet, a connection sparks between them.

Ellen soon realizes that Conor's past is not all it seems, and there's more to her family history than she knew too. As the secrets are finally revealed, the truth must be told

WHAT I SAY
I read all of santa books now she one of my favourite author her books are so captivating i love the way her story unfold you just get transported in story
This book got a bit of mystery and romance it so wonderful written all the characters are so warm and lovely
The setting are so wonderful you can see them in your mind
The storyline just totally absorbed me
It set in Ireland it sounded so nice as soon as i started to read i was captivated by the Irish way of life
It just a lovely family saga but everyone seem to know everything but did they ? new pieces of family history seem to be coming to light all the time
Ellen runaway from her unhappy life she goes to aunt in Ireland she never met her
Peg i loved her what a lovely character she was she so good nature you will just love her
Dylan seem to be a very troubled we do get to hear why i like all the family history i loved all the twists some were very predictable did you guess any ? I liked all the characters i like that Caitlin as a ghost she narrated part of the story this just add to the captivating and believable characters i did find the story very emotional and romantic
As always it just a incredibly well written book a heartbreaking story but also a lovely warm story
I recommend her book to you all just a good
5 dolls (5 stars )
I like to thank netgalley for letting me read and review

About the Author
Born in England in 1970, Santa Montefiore grew up in Hampshire. She is married to historian Simon Sebag Montefiore. They live with their two children, Lily and Sasha, in London. Visit her at www.santamontefiore.co.uk.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 20 Jan. 2015
Victoria (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Secrets of the Lighthouse (Paperback)
I don't know where to begin with this review really. I have an overwhelming sense of 'oh dear' about this book, but at the same time I feel guilty being negative as my grandma read it and bought it for me because she'd loved it so much!

Let's begin with the story. It was a nice, gentle story, I suppose, if you like that sort of thing - Ellen Trawton, aged thirty-three, has run away from her privileged home, pushy family and impending safe marriage in London to find her Mother's long-lost family in Connemara (although surely, at thirty-three, she's a bit old to be running away from home in the first place.) While ensconced in the bosom of her new-found Irish relatives, she meets the enigmatic Connor, a widower whose beautiful wife Caitlin died five years previously in tragic circumstances. As they fall desperately in love - over the space of ten minutes - they have no idea that Caitlin's jealous spirit is watching them from the other side.... Meanwhile, Ellen starts to uncover some old family secrets that will change her life forever. It's just a pity that you can see them all coming 200 pages before they actually happen. I think I rolled my eyes so much reading this that I gave myself a headache. The love story was just ridiculous while the chapters narrated by Caitlin's ghost, while an interesting plot device in the beginning, eventually trailed off into nothingness. The whole novel was utterly predictable, unbelievable, and trite, and all drawn neatly together in the most clichéd conclusion I've ever read. But at least it was a happy one, eh?

As for the writing... I have tried once before to read Santa Montefiore, and gave up because I found her writing to be so bad. Now I've made it the whole way through one of her books and am baffled as to why she's a bestselling author. Hasn't she ever heard of show, don't tell? Doesn't she know that a good writer doesn't need to find fifty alternative ways to say 'she said'? And why hasn't her editor told her that some parts were just downright repetitive - Peg made a pot of tea every two pages and said 'pet' at the end of EVERY sentence, while the dialogue at times wanted to make me jump out of my bedroom window. Two whole pages were devoted to the characters talking about a pet bird that had disappeared and come back again. 'That's grand,' bellowed Ronan. 'Aye, just grand,' chuckled Joe. 'I didn't think he'd come back, pet. I'll put the kettle on for a cup of tea,' Peg smiled. You see my point - it got on my nerves after a while, not least because I know there are better writers out there going unpublished while this drivel is churned out. I acknowledge the fact that many, many readers are not as fastidious as me about good spelling and grammar - Fifty Shades of Grey was never going to win prizes for its use of the English language and yet it's been a blockbuster - but I just find it difficult to enjoy a book that isn't well written and I don't think I'd read another novel by this author (her husband is another matter, however - both his fiction and non-fiction is well-written and gripping. I recommend!)

All in all, I would surmise that I'm probably not the target audience for this and that contributed to my lack of enjoyment of it. My grandma is in her seventies and relies on audiobooks as she can't read anymore, and this would have been a nice light-hearted story for her to listen to. I can't defend myself against the countless 5 star reviews this book has somehow obtained, except to say that it simply wasn't my cup of tea. Sorry Peg.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypical Tosh!, 28 July 2014
HM Patterson (Chippenham Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
Four words to describe this book Lightweight, Predictable, Stereotypical, Tosh! How anyone could award this silly book 5 stars is a mystery to me. I got 40% of the way through and nearly gave up, if it hadn't been chosen for our book club book I would have stopped there and then but I plodded my way through to the bitter end! Of course Emma's Irish uncles would be dark, brooding and handsome. Also Emma dark and vivacious unlike her tall blond blue eye'd, shallow sisters. Her upper class English "father" had to be tall, blond, blue eye'd and of course have a receding chin which was mandatory in this silly book, as I said Stereotypical! I knew the hapless Dylan was her real father as soon as he arrived in the book. Poor love lorn Dylan who loved and lost and never recovered (be still my beating heart!) What can I say about Connor, well I thank god for Emma who loved him in spite of his temper and the suspicions of the locals that he just may have murdered his first wife Caitlin but then he was dark and brooding! By the time I was nearing the end I wished that Peg's Jackdaw would fly in and peck out me eye's or maybe her pig would come through the door and savage me to death.

1.0 out of 5 stars 0, 22 Jun. 2014
Schmaltz, the Author needs to check out 21st century Ireland, awful dated stereotypes from 1950.s. the Ghost was the best character . Teresa

Secrets of the Lighthouse
Secrets of the Lighthouse by Santa Montefiore (Paperback - 24 April 2014)