Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 March 2012
I should declare an interest in this book as I am Dave's mum, but I am very proud that he has managed to finish something for once in his life as he never got round to tidying his room or doing his homework on time. I've read each of his stories and can confirm that they are mostly factually correct and in some places a little too much information has been supplied. They made me laugh, cry, reminisce and also email him a stern ticking off for some of the naughty language he has used. His dad read it as well and is currently in discussion with lawyers concerning the paragraph concerning labelling. On a serious note, I am not a fanatical cyclist and confess to a bike with a shopping basket attached. Yet I enjoyed reading Dave's "tales from two wheels" as he has made a real effort to bring non-cyclists into his world. I'm still not sure I understand all of the jargon but get the general gist. So I am going to give this book five stars on the condition that Dave pops round in the near future and helps us with some gardening.
1212 comments| 295 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2012
With no knowledge of cycling other than the odd bike ride down country lanes, my initial thought was that this book was not going to be something to get stuck into. How wrong I was.

Dave Barter captures the readers attention from the first few pages, and writes from both heart and soul. His sense of humour shines through - even when the going gets tough - as does his heartfelt determination and self deprecation when tackling the most trickiest of rides and challenges. It's a wonderful book that captures his ups and downs and even makes you feel like you are riding alongside him at times.

I wish him every success with this and future publications - and would recommend it without doubt to all cyclists and non-cyclists looking for a different read.
on 2 May 2012
OK, let's get the criticism out of the way first. I'm aware that the following observation is going to mark me out as a friendless, pedantic sociopath, but I need to say it: there are a few too many spelling mistakes and malapropisms in this book. It's distracting and can look a bit amateurish. But Dave, our author, comes across as an engaging and pleasant chap, so I'll go easy on him and blame his English teachers instead.

Criticism over. This is a good book. It contains a number of self-contained short stories and articles on various aspects of cycling. Each is interesting, and as a bonus they're usually about the right length to read on the toilet (an advantage which rarely gets enough praise in the Times Literary Supplement).

Dave's cycling adventures cover a wide range of two-wheeled derring-do (and derring-don't). Those who spend their spare time riding and fiddling with bicycles will find themselves nodding in agreement and sympathy with Dave's various highs and lows. Those who don't have any interest in cycling will probably overlook this book in favour of Jeremy Clarkson's latest nonsense, let's face it, but it's their loss. OCCD is amusing, perceptive, and even inspirational in places.

I've paid much more and been entertained much less. Do buy it.
on 7 August 2012
I was bored waiting for a train when I decided to purchase this book. The day had been long and tiring, it was raining hard and the station was packed. Faced with another hour long battle of sudoku on my phone I gave in and bought the book. Ten minutes into my commute I had managed to block out the fact that I was pressed uncomfortably against my fellow travellers as I was busy laughing my way through the tales within the book. I defy any cyclist not to find elements of themselves within the various tales, my wife quizzed me as to wether I had actually written half of this. Sadly I am not nearly as eloquent as the writer who captures the many facets that keep cyclists turning the pedals. Russian bride struck a particular chord in my house!

A great fun read, easy to dip into as it is comprised of many short tales.
on 1 March 2012
This is a excellent and inspiring e-book that all cyclists can relate to and sigh with relief that you are not the only one who suffers from the obsessive disorder that is cycling.

If you ever loose your way and wonder about whether cycling is worth all the effort then read this e-book and it will be sure to get you back on track and more into cycling and challenging yourself than ever before.

Buy it !
on 29 March 2012
Excellent book really loved it. I also like the review written by his mum on this Amazon site. Which is very honest.
I could really identify with this book as I have more bikes than I really need. You just hope that a new bike is going to make
you a bit faster. Dave moaned in the book as he thought he was going pretty well out on his racing bike. When he got overtaken
by an older couple on a tandem. He should not feel about this. As actually tandems are amazingly fast on the flat. Hard work on hills thought. Keep writing Dave this is one of the bests sports books I have read on my Kindle.
on 27 August 2012
I would have given it 6 stars if possible. An excellent read and sets just the right tone between logical reasons for buying a bike - i.e either to get fit or to get to work, and total madness. I'm at the madness end of that matrix as I'm 70 next year and have just bought my first road bike since I was at school with my Lincoln Imp. I now have a Lapierre Audacio 300. This book makes me feel justified that I'm not the only unbalanced person around!
on 27 November 2012
I hated this book. It made me so tense, frustrated and angry.

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder is so well written, so inspiring, and so bloody brilliant, that every minute I spent reading it was a minute that I spent getting increasingly annoyed with myself for being sat on the sofa and not being outside on a bicycle.

I was quite happy being lazy. I have never felt the need or desire to attempt any of the things described in this book. I didn't want to cycle a leg of the Tour de France. I didn't want to cycle in snow, join a cycle club, go mountain-biking, cycle from London to the seaside IN THE DARK, and I certainly had no interest in cyclo-cross. That was before I read this stupid book, now I want to try all of it. Thanks a lot, Dave.

As a result of reading this book, I now feel compelled to take up cycling. This means that I will no doubt go and blow all of my savings on a new bike (or two), cycling equipment, and maybe even some lycra. My marriage will fall apart as a result of me spending more time on the bike and less time with the family. Any spare change left after purchasing all of this crap, will be spent on paperback copies of OCCD to give to friends and family for Christmas, meaning there is no money left to feed my children or pay the mortgage. To make things EVEN worse, the kindle version of this book costs a mere 79p, so you have to deal with the added guilt of how you have short-changed Dave for all of his hard work.

So, not only has this book left me feeling tense, frustrated, guilty and angry, but also homeless, divorced, disowned by my children and in complete financial ruin. I hope you're happy, Dave!
Don't fall into the same trap that I did. Walk away from this book before it's too late.
As someone who has had an on/off love affair with bikes over the last 40 years this book caught my eye.

Dave's life musings and cycling anecdotes are put over in the manner of telling stories down the pub and having everybody in stitches which I personally loved! Who gives a hit (silent 's') about the odd spelling mistake, this is just like talking to your mate! Brilliant.

His descriptions of getting his bike ready for the night ride made me laugh as I could absolutely relate to it! Worn brakes, half inflated tyres, dodgy lights and loose gear chains, getting hammered by wind, rain, mud and snow, nearly getting killed by lunatic wagon drivers on roads full of holes that seem like asteroid impact craters to us cyclists, but yet we still think . .ahh I'll be okay!

Loved it, highly recommend it to any level of cyclist!
on 12 February 2015
Dave's book is a good read, an anthology of thirty articles written by an amateur cyclist over a period of ten years. It's like picking up a magazine and finding that good column that inspires you. He writes well and makes his stories come to life. It's written in a lighthearted style which brings the reader into the author’s world, the world of almost madness that engulfs those with a cycling obsession, a world littered with incident and humour.