5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for cyclists and non cyclists alike
I should declare an interest in this book as I am Dave's mum, but I am very proud that he has managed to finish something for once in his life as he never got round to tidying his room or doing his homework on time. I've read each of his stories and can confirm that they are mostly factually correct and in some places a little too much information has been supplied. They...
Published on 7 Mar. 2012 by JenCB

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag
A collection of articles , some good . Some are boring . Bit daft reading how he turns up to major Gran Fondos without prep and passes this of as something to be proud of? Fair value though and as an obsessive cyclist I had to read it . Glad I went for the cheap kindle deal. If I had bought the print copy at full price this would be 1 star review
Published 23 months ago by the colin

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable ride through the world of cycling, 4 Oct. 2013
As a "born again" cyclist returning to the sport/hobby after a number of years' absence it was great fun to read of the author's exploits as someone who started late but is determined to experience everything cycling has to offer from racing in an étape on a TDF stage to mountain biking in Wiltshire. The vignettes of cycling life are hilariously told and very entertaining. Barter is obviously an accomplished cyclist, and raconteur, but his exploits are tantalisingly within reach of the keen amateur. All in all a very funny book and an inspiration to get on your bike! Well worth the price, especially the Kindle edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars The way Dave sees it - The world through a cyclists eyes, 21 Feb. 2013
Dave you git, I got all wrapped up in your travels and tales of challenging adventure and ended up entering the 1400km london-endinburgh-london audax, to be ridden within 116 hours.
I've also added many of your adventures to my to-do list.
Look forward to the new book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy varied read, 2 Sept. 2012
M. Cowan "cowanmuk" (London) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book immensley, easch chapter is based on an article Dave has written and has been published (well some of them have !) Lots of different styles and subjects, of course always with cycling as a theme, keep it interesting. I have enjoyed dipping in and out of this, laughed at a lot of it, probably when I recognise myself in the writting. For 77p you really can't go wrong can you ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping Yarns, 27 Aug. 2012
I would have given it 6 stars if possible. An excellent read and sets just the right tone between logical reasons for buying a bike - i.e either to get fit or to get to work, and total madness. I'm at the madness end of that matrix as I'm 70 next year and have just bought my first road bike since I was at school with my Lincoln Imp. I now have a Lapierre Audacio 300. This book makes me feel justified that I'm not the only unbalanced person around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational., 21 Aug. 2012
Amazon Customer (West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
Before I got to the end I just had to get my bike out of the garage and dust it off. Many of the tales I can say struck a cord, remember such incidents from my previous exploits. A really good read, each story just about enough for a bed time read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsessive Compulsive Cyclist, 7 Aug. 2012
I was bored waiting for a train when I decided to purchase this book. The day had been long and tiring, it was raining hard and the station was packed. Faced with another hour long battle of sudoku on my phone I gave in and bought the book. Ten minutes into my commute I had managed to block out the fact that I was pressed uncomfortably against my fellow travellers as I was busy laughing my way through the tales within the book. I defy any cyclist not to find elements of themselves within the various tales, my wife quizzed me as to wether I had actually written half of this. Sadly I am not nearly as eloquent as the writer who captures the many facets that keep cyclists turning the pedals. Russian bride struck a particular chord in my house!

A great fun read, easy to dip into as it is comprised of many short tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant!!!, 6 Aug. 2012
My family bought me a Kindle for Father's Day, as I don't read enough books! As I needed to download a few books for an imminent holiday, i had a quick scout around the Kindle website and this book caught my eye. I enjoyed cycling as a youngster and since then have always had a bike - albeit that at an age not far short of the free bus pass, I rarely use it. That said, Dave's book had me hooked - to both the convenience of the Kindle, but also to be interested in cycling again. It is thoroughly entertaining, very well thought out and one of those books that is difficult to put down.

Since reading it, I have looked again at the latest machines available (but unlike you Dave, can't really justify a new one) and, in this fabulous year for Great Britain, have found myself glued to the Tour de France and all aspects of Olympic cycling, whether on the road or in the magnificent velodrome. It helps that, with Dave's assistance, I now understand far more than I ever did about the sport at the highest level.

So thanks Dave. Your Mum's review as well as those of other contributors made my purchase decision an easy one - and I'm so glad I did. I really look forward to your next effort which will, I am sure, be just as good.

Well done,

Neil

5.0 out of 5 stars So much to relate to, 27 April 2012
A really enjoyable read, made all the more enjoyable by being so easy to relate to.
Dave has put into words so much that many cyclists have experienced. Simple things like all
the fuffing around before actually getting out on a ride, forgetting something, going back and forth to
the garage before leaving the house.
A good mix between the different disciplines... although I think of myself as a "roadie" I also enjoyed the mtb related stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cycling in small funny informative bites, 26 April 2012
I read this book as my holiday read - big mistake... my bike was at home and I was not, this book made me want to get out and pedal. A really good read which is funny, informative and well written. Dave is clearly a cyclist to his core and truly 'gets' it. I highly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in bikes or like laughing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Stoked!!!, 22 April 2012
I totally stoked up my stove then sat in front of it with this awesome ebook and some whisky. I read for a while then fell asleep.
I did the same for a few nights until it was all done. I liked it and am looking forward to the next insallment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder by Dave Barter (Paperback - 25 Sept. 2013)