5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for cyclists and non cyclists alike
Published on 7 Mar. 2012 by JenCB

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag
A collection of articles , some good . Some are boring . Bit daft reading how he turns up to major Gran Fondos without prep and passes this of as something to be proud of? Fair value though and as an obsessive cyclist I had to read it . Glad I went for the cheap kindle deal. If I had bought the print copy at full price this would be 1 star review
Published on 25 Mar. 2013 by the colin

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for cyclists and non cyclists alike, 7 Mar. 2012
I should declare an interest in this book as I am Dave's mum, but I am very proud that he has managed to finish something for once in his life as he never got round to tidying his room or doing his homework on time. I've read each of his stories and can confirm that they are mostly factually correct and in some places a little too much information has been supplied. They made me laugh, cry, reminisce and also email him a stern ticking off for some of the naughty language he has used. His dad read it as well and is currently in discussion with lawyers concerning the paragraph concerning labelling. On a serious note, I am not a fanatical cyclist and confess to a bike with a shopping basket attached. Yet I enjoyed reading Dave's "tales from two wheels" as he has made a real effort to bring non-cyclists into his world. I'm still not sure I understand all of the jargon but get the general gist. So I am going to give this book five stars on the condition that Dave pops round in the near future and helps us with some gardening.

5.0 out of 5 stars An obsessive, compulsive read!, 9 Mar. 2012
With no knowledge of cycling other than the odd bike ride down country lanes, my initial thought was that this book was not going to be something to get stuck into. How wrong I was.

Dave Barter captures the readers attention from the first few pages, and writes from both heart and soul. His sense of humour shines through - even when the going gets tough - as does his heartfelt determination and self deprecation when tackling the most trickiest of rides and challenges. It's a wonderful book that captures his ups and downs and even makes you feel like you are riding alongside him at times.

I wish him every success with this and future publications - and would recommend it without doubt to all cyclists and non-cyclists looking for a different read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cycling stories, 5 Sept. 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
As someone who has had an on/off love affair with bikes over the last 40 years this book caught my eye.

Dave's life musings and cycling anecdotes are put over in the manner of telling stories down the pub and having everybody in stitches which I personally loved! Who gives a hit (silent 's') about the odd spelling mistake, this is just like talking to your mate! Brilliant.

His descriptions of getting his bike ready for the night ride made me laugh as I could absolutely relate to it! Worn brakes, half inflated tyres, dodgy lights and loose gear chains, getting hammered by wind, rain, mud and snow, nearly getting killed by lunatic wagon drivers on roads full of holes that seem like asteroid impact craters to us cyclists, but yet we still think . .ahh I'll be okay!

Loved it, highly recommend it to any level of cyclist!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly brilliant, 2 May 2012
OK, let's get the criticism out of the way first. I'm aware that the following observation is going to mark me out as a friendless, pedantic sociopath, but I need to say it: there are a few too many spelling mistakes and malapropisms in this book. It's distracting and can look a bit amateurish. But Dave, our author, comes across as an engaging and pleasant chap, so I'll go easy on him and blame his English teachers instead.

Criticism over. This is a good book. It contains a number of self-contained short stories and articles on various aspects of cycling. Each is interesting, and as a bonus they're usually about the right length to read on the toilet (an advantage which rarely gets enough praise in the Times Literary Supplement).

Dave's cycling adventures cover a wide range of two-wheeled derring-do (and derring-don't). Those who spend their spare time riding and fiddling with bicycles will find themselves nodding in agreement and sympathy with Dave's various highs and lows. Those who don't have any interest in cycling will probably overlook this book in favour of Jeremy Clarkson's latest nonsense, let's face it, but it's their loss. OCCD is amusing, perceptive, and even inspirational in places.

I've paid much more and been entertained much less. Do buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable and inspiring collection, 19 April 2012
Dave gives us a wonderful collection of cycling articles he has written over the years. There is a good mix of informative, philosophical and funny. They represent the joy and frustration that cycling gives him. I particularly enjoyed the variety between mountain biking and road biking; and personally has given me a desire to try my hand at trains rather than just tarmac. My favourite article is one where he decribes the elation at riding the route of the Tour de France when it left from London and finding that when roads are not closed and traffic lights are not switched off the experience if very different.

Why only 4 stars? Because you can tell the articles that are authored later as the quality of the writing improves. Really though at less than a pound it is immense value. At the risk of disagreeing with Dave's Mum, I think this will really appeal to cyclists more than to non-cylists.

He mentions another book he is writing this year - I look forward to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and inspiring ebook all cyclists will relate to., 1 Mar. 2012
This is a excellent and inspiring e-book that all cyclists can relate to and sigh with relief that you are not the only one who suffers from the obsessive disorder that is cycling.

If you ever loose your way and wonder about whether cycling is worth all the effort then read this e-book and it will be sure to get you back on track and more into cycling and challenging yourself than ever before.

Buy it !

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I hadn't yet reviewed this smashing book, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder (Paperback)
This has been one of my favourite fun reads of the year - and once finished I started delving (and still do) into Dave's blog too. I love his humour. I love his obsessional devotion to cycling... and challenges... and pain... and his family (talking of family, they are clearly obsessionally devoted to him too, otherwise how could they put up with him and his bike mania?!). But apart from the laughs, this book has accompanied me on my own journey into cycling madness. From being a fair-weather, hybrid-with-panniers riding granny - I've now metamorphosed into an all-weather, carbon-fibre road cyclist in screaming-yellow gilet and lycra knickers... and I blame a lot of it on Dave (though my brother has to carry some blame too - oh, and Brad, Cav, Pendleton, Rowsell, Hoy et al). Could it be that OCCD is infectious? Is there therapy for it? Well don't tell me about it because I'm very happy to indulge my new obsession and fill my house and garage with bike stuff.

If anyone had told me at the beginning of 2012 that by the end of the year I'd be waiting impatiently for Dave Barter's next book on cycle routes, I'd have laughed in their face... yet it's nothing but the truth. So bash on Dave, and nurture your OCCD for our benefit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and enjoyable, 30 April 2012
Nick Blades (Bogota, Colombia) - See all my reviews
This is a book of a collection of writing that Dave has written in the past with a short introduction to each piece.
Although I would class myself as an enthusiastic cyclist I would say this book also appeals to people who don't ride. The articles are well written and you can really relate to what Dave has been through.

My favourite article was "Back to School", this is what I do however after showing this to my wife who runs rather than rides she also relates to the situation, especially "excusamatics".

Thanks to Dave for putting it together, I am already looking forward to his next book.
Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to remind the reader why they love cycling, 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book immensely a wonderful journey of cycling experiences through Dave's eyes.His disarming modesty and charming self deprecation endear the reader, although once read you will understand Dave is pretty damn good on a bike. The book is written as a series of short stories and is quite easy to refer back to time and time again. I now know of the Dunwich Dynamo a wonderful annual unorganised event where anyone can just turn up join the fun and ride. London Fields is the setting for the start,there is no race or any official time keeping.Participants just pedal through the mid summers night to reach Dunwich on the Suffolk coast a very English experience indeed.Enjoy reading that and I'm sure if your'e like me you'll be marking up July for next years event. Dave has a wonderful tone and expression with words and on a few occasions I was literally laughing out loud...I lie not...'No lights and a grey triangle' being one such tale. I recommend this book for anyone with a passion for cycling there will be a story or two all can relate too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bicycle ramblings, 13 Oct. 2013
I'm very grateful to 'DB' for his very amusing whitterings about all manor of cycling
It is reassuring to know as a more rounder cyclist, 'fat', that even skinny mallinkies find bikes hard work & sometimes downright bloody irritating, however this book has more than lifted my spirits & reinvigorated my love for all things cycling, good & bad,
So thank you for that, keep pedalling & writing

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder by Dave Barter (Paperback - 25 Sept. 2013)