5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for cyclists and non cyclists alike
Published on 7 Mar 2012 by JenCB

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Amusing in parts but rambled on too much for me near the end. Was ok to dip in and out of to pass time occasionally .
Published 20 months ago by M.C.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for cyclists and non cyclists alike, 7 Mar 2012
I should declare an interest in this book as I am Dave's mum, but I am very proud that he has managed to finish something for once in his life as he never got round to tidying his room or doing his homework on time. I've read each of his stories and can confirm that they are mostly factually correct and in some places a little too much information has been supplied. They made me laugh, cry, reminisce and also email him a stern ticking off for some of the naughty language he has used. His dad read it as well and is currently in discussion with lawyers concerning the paragraph concerning labelling. On a serious note, I am not a fanatical cyclist and confess to a bike with a shopping basket attached. Yet I enjoyed reading Dave's "tales from two wheels" as he has made a real effort to bring non-cyclists into his world. I'm still not sure I understand all of the jargon but get the general gist. So I am going to give this book five stars on the condition that Dave pops round in the near future and helps us with some gardening.

5.0 out of 5 stars An obsessive, compulsive read!, 9 Mar 2012
With no knowledge of cycling other than the odd bike ride down country lanes, my initial thought was that this book was not going to be something to get stuck into. How wrong I was.

Dave Barter captures the readers attention from the first few pages, and writes from both heart and soul. His sense of humour shines through - even when the going gets tough - as does his heartfelt determination and self deprecation when tackling the most trickiest of rides and challenges. It's a wonderful book that captures his ups and downs and even makes you feel like you are riding alongside him at times.

I wish him every success with this and future publications - and would recommend it without doubt to all cyclists and non-cyclists looking for a different read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly brilliant, 2 May 2012
OK, let's get the criticism out of the way first. I'm aware that the following observation is going to mark me out as a friendless, pedantic sociopath, but I need to say it: there are a few too many spelling mistakes and malapropisms in this book. It's distracting and can look a bit amateurish. But Dave, our author, comes across as an engaging and pleasant chap, so I'll go easy on him and blame his English teachers instead.

Criticism over. This is a good book. It contains a number of self-contained short stories and articles on various aspects of cycling. Each is interesting, and as a bonus they're usually about the right length to read on the toilet (an advantage which rarely gets enough praise in the Times Literary Supplement).

Dave's cycling adventures cover a wide range of two-wheeled derring-do (and derring-don't). Those who spend their spare time riding and fiddling with bicycles will find themselves nodding in agreement and sympathy with Dave's various highs and lows. Those who don't have any interest in cycling will probably overlook this book in favour of Jeremy Clarkson's latest nonsense, let's face it, but it's their loss. OCCD is amusing, perceptive, and even inspirational in places.

I've paid much more and been entertained much less. Do buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cycling stories which all cyclists can relate to!, 5 Sep 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
As someone who has had an on/off love affair with bikes over the last 40 years this book caught my eye.

Dave's life musings and cycling anecdotes are put over in the manner of telling stories down the pub and having everybody in stitches which I personally loved! Who gives a hit (silent 's') about the odd spelling mistake, this is just like talking to your mate! Brilliant.

His descriptions of getting his bike ready for the night ride made me laugh as I could absolutely relate to it! Worn brakes, half inflated tyres, dodgy lights and loose gear chains, getting hammered by wind, rain, mud and snow, nearly getting killed by lunatic wagon drivers on roads full of holes that seem like asteroid impact craters to us cyclists, but yet we still think . .ahh I'll be okay!

Loved it, highly recommend it to any level of cyclist!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and inspiring ebook all cyclists will relate to., 1 Mar 2012
This is a excellent and inspiring e-book that all cyclists can relate to and sigh with relief that you are not the only one who suffers from the obsessive disorder that is cycling.

If you ever loose your way and wonder about whether cycling is worth all the effort then read this e-book and it will be sure to get you back on track and more into cycling and challenging yourself than ever before.

Buy it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and enjoyable, 30 April 2012
Nick Blades (Bogota, Colombia) - See all my reviews
This is a book of a collection of writing that Dave has written in the past with a short introduction to each piece.
Although I would class myself as an enthusiastic cyclist I would say this book also appeals to people who don't ride. The articles are well written and you can really relate to what Dave has been through.

My favourite article was "Back to School", this is what I do however after showing this to my wife who runs rather than rides she also relates to the situation, especially "excusamatics".

Thanks to Dave for putting it together, I am already looking forward to his next book.
Nick

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable and inspiring collection, 19 April 2012
Dave gives us a wonderful collection of cycling articles he has written over the years. There is a good mix of informative, philosophical and funny. They represent the joy and frustration that cycling gives him. I particularly enjoyed the variety between mountain biking and road biking; and personally has given me a desire to try my hand at trains rather than just tarmac. My favourite article is one where he decribes the elation at riding the route of the Tour de France when it left from London and finding that when roads are not closed and traffic lights are not switched off the experience if very different.

Why only 4 stars? Because you can tell the articles that are authored later as the quality of the writing improves. Really though at less than a pound it is immense value. At the risk of disagreeing with Dave's Mum, I think this will really appeal to cyclists more than to non-cylists.

He mentions another book he is writing this year - I look forward to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining., 8 Mar 2012
Dave's ebook is an eclectic collection of part musings, reminisces, and travelogue. His self deprecating tone hides a steely determination to enjoy to the full his chosen sport of cycling in all its many guises. I found it hugely entertaining and also inspirational, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cycling widow, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder (Paperback)
I hate cycling. Its just far too much effort if you ask me. Unfortunately, the husband doesn't feel the same, and is never more than 24 hours away from sticking a bike between his legs, and scarpering with a camelback full of water.
In a quest to understand the male cycling psyche, I happened upon this book and decided in my wisdom to give it a go. Actually, he had downloaded it to my Kindle - maybe it was subliminal messaging?
Much to my chagrin, I have to say, it was an enlightening read. I wanted to find it a mind numbing techno cycling nerdy piece of cheap narrative extolling the virtues of biking on the middle class male.
But (and here's the thing), what I actually discovered was a fresh set of eyes through which I could view my husbands cycling obsession.
Why does he love to spend two hours getting the damn thing ready to ride, then disappear for a large part of the day, returning cold, wet and filthy with a new sense of calm and a ravenous appetite? Well, the answer my fellow cycling widows, is here. I have a new understanding of my husbands 'hobby'. I'm not saying that I nesseccarily agree, with his point of view, but at least I get it. I'm not saying I am delighted with the large sums of money that mysteriously disappear from the bank account, only to be followed 3 days later by the arrival of yet another 'Wiggle' stamped parcel. But at least now I get it.
In short, if you are struggling to come to terms with your other halves cycling addiction, or can't understand why he would rather spend large quantities of time researching new headsets and gear ratios, than watch a repeat of Sex in the City with you, then maybe this book is for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 3 Jan 2013

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder by Dave Barter (Paperback - 25 Sep 2013)
9.15