5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and practical

Published 11 months ago by Sylvia K. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and practical, 13 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Mindfulness Meditation (Paperback)
Jon Kabat-Zinn's work has the ring of truth about it; he speaks from experience and that counts fora lot in my world. His approach to meditation is entirely practical - he deals with so many of the issues and problems that inevitably arise in starting a meditation practice in a gentle and understanding way; this in itself inspires me to keep going! I very much recomment his guided meditation tapes available from his website - excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 24 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Mindfulness Meditation (Paperback)
This is the classic book on the subject of meditation by Jon Kabat-Zinn (published in America as Wherever You Go, There You are). If you only read one book on meditation try this one. It enables you to thik differently and experience every aspect of your life from a radical new viewpoint. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lights on. Lights off!, 27 Nov 2002
This review is from: Mindfulness Meditation (Paperback)
This book will guide you into the world of presence. As a companion to Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now, I have found it invaluable. I've been turned on and off by meditation over the last 25 years. This book reveals that it's ok just to be yourself in the meditation. The sessions are to be present. An understanding of being 'present' and the life-transformation that develops thereafter is explained beautifully in Eckhart Tolle's book. To take his work into meditation look no further than Kabat-Zinn's brilliant book. If you're looking for something that's missing in your life it's living in the moment. All past and future can only happen in the present moment. This is the only reality. I also like this book because I can relate to Jon's encouragement to be natural in you meditation. There are some beautiful imagary meditations given here as well. I really like the mountain meditation.
What you'll feel in this book is someone who's real, has kids, helps others, cares and walks the path of living in the present moment. His words are those of someone whose stripped away the fluff and revealed the beauty of what's underneath.
If you're looking for meditation to reduce stress, become more connected with your true self, move into a place of peace and serenity, then move away from you mind. Understand the mind as the most powerful tool on the planet, yet very dangerous as well. I think of it as I've been downloaded into a body that has zillions of thoughts, feelings and distractions. It's a game that involves our very souls. However, somewhere in that game is the right way to play. When you discover that, you awaken to find a new world. Now you're in a world where you have all the time you'll ever need because the present moment is timeless. However, once the switch is on, the mind keeps switching it off. You'll need hooks to switch it back on again. The fun is trying to keep the light on more than it's off! If the lights do go on enough times, there's no going back to a cosy permanent unconscious state!
I'm not sure if I'd read this book before Eckhart Tolle's book, being in the moment would have made any sense. I see Jon's book as a real gem now, and worthy of a front row seat in my top 5 books. Each person has there own trigger to awaken them. Mine was 'the power of now'. I can't recommend it enough. It is so deeply profound it's like the words from the parent of our universe. Each book I buy now in this category is about 'being in the present moment'.
Jon's book, therefore, is highly recommended. I feel a lot can be gained even as a novice. Equally though those with more experience will gain loads from this brilliant book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mindfulness Meditation - for everyday life., 1 May 2013
This review is from: Mindfulness Meditation (Paperback)
This is my first foray into Meditation recommended by a friend. It is sensible for everyday living. Hard at first but making sense by the 5th page. Well worth reading. I think it has helped me a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars First choice for mindfulness, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Mindfulness Meditation (Paperback)
This is the best book on the subject - easy to read and straightforward explanations of how to use mindfulness right now. If you are going to grasp what it is all about in one book, this is it. I have read many other books on mindfulness and this is the only one that I found comes close to life-changing on first read.

5.0 out of 5 stars taming the 'I', 'Me', 'Mine', 23 July 2010
This review is from: Mindfulness Meditation (Paperback)
One of the simplest books on meditation I have ever read with lots of tips on how to bring mindfulness into every day life and thus learn to live life to the full in the present moment.

The present moment is all the reality we have and we have the power to make that moment heaven or hell by our thoughts and reactions to what is happening to us in that moment.

The author outlines the importance of learning to just 'be' and how if you should do this every morning for even 10 minutes your experience of the day will take on a different aura.

Meditation can take place at any moment in your life not just when you sit on your cushion. You can meditate whilst walking round the supermarket with a trolley or standing in queue. The issue is what is going on in your mind. Are you aware of what is happening within and around you in the moment you are in or are your thoughts focused on the past or future thus missing the fullness of life?

This is not a recipe for becoming a hermit or a recluse but a set of practical techniques for becoming aware of the interconnectedness of all life and the beauty of what is all around you at any moment. Even in the darkest moment there can be a bright spot of beauty if you but look and listen to what is there.

Even when cleaning a stove if you do it with mindfulness you can merge into the activity and get rid of the 'I', 'Me' and 'Mine' that dog us all our lives.

The Chapter on 'Selfing' shows that we are continually producing thoughts of 'I', 'Me' and 'Mine' but this self is impermanent and gets in the way of who you really are. As Kabat-Zinn says: 'By recognizing and letting go of selfing impulses, we accord the universe a little more room to make things happen.' Clearing out the self and its many impulses such as anger opens up huge potentiality and opportunity.

Zabat-Zinn ends the book by asking whether mindfulness is 'spiritual'. He states that he prefers not to use the word 'spiritual' because it means many things to many people and can impede progress. However, often the mindfulness practice has evoked 'spiritual feelings' in people. Ultimately it is for all human beings to become aware of the depth of their own inner experience and to explore it with all its storytelling (he mentions the archetypes in fairy tales). Meditation practice is a mirror of the archetypal hero's journey to growth and development taking us through the ups and downs of life where we need to accept both the darkness and the light in life meeting the demons, dragons, fairy godmothers and so on in the psyche and becoming fully human as we embrace our individual path.

Highly recommended. An easy read. Plenty of good advice for everyday living.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 23 Aug 2013
I was truly disappointed with this. It is a recording of a symposium Kabat-Zinn had given some years ago.The first part is an address to the audience, followed by a breathing meditation. This is followed by some hatha yoga. During this he appears to walk about the room, asking for the lights to be dimmed and telling the audience how to find enough space;then when he starts the yoga there is a woman with an irritating cough, as well as the level of sound coming and going and more requests for light dimming.The final section is questions from the audience.
This does not do what it says on the cover. Don't waste your money on it. I have since found many meditations led by Kabat-Zinn on U-tube and they are free to access. I wonder whether Amazon know what is contained in this CD. It is not simply meditations as this says.

Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life & Exercises and Meditations