1,535 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best thriller books I have ever read.
Published on 26 April 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Series Opener -if a little too straightforward
Great opener to a series and kept me entertained, but "entertained" is definitely the right word as I was not kept guessing or intrigued by complex characters or subtle plot.

Published on 27 Jun 2011 by Chunky Monkey

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best thriller books I have ever read., 26 April 2001
By A Customer
I discovered Lee Child's work when I was given a novel for a present. I finished it in 2 days. 'THE KILLING FLOOR' is a dynamic, intricate thriller which literally keeps you turning the pages. The character of Jack Reacher is very strong; deceptively simply written and wholly engaging. He is quickly becoming one of my favourite fiction charcters. 'THE KILLING FLOOR' takes us through the perfect small-town America deep into the heart of Georgia. Here, Reacher becomes embroilled in a series of horrific killings - and recieves some news which makes the situation intensely personal. The relationships that the charcters develop balance the horror against which they are fighting, and up the stakes to breaking point. The story that unfolds is pacey; detailed and convoluted and manages to deliver a surprise with every turn of the page. Lee Child is one of the most talented writers to come out of England for many years. I hope the books continue with the same vitality that the predecessors have had. The films will be hardpressed to reproduce Reacher's dynamic charcter - good luck to them. If you intend to read one last book in your lifetime - read this one. Then read the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of light posts!, 6 Mar 2001
Christine L (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I'd already read "Die Trying" and "Tripwire" when I got this book and I was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as those two, since it was Mr Child's first novel. How wrong I was!!! It's absolutely brilliant and really difficult to put down. I started reading it when I went away on holiday and as I could not put it down while walking through the airport I only narrowly escaped an embarassing accident.
As with the other two Jack Reacher books that I've read, I think the plot is really clever and exciting, the characters are well developed and the scenery is very easy to visualise. And contrary to a lot of other series with the same main character I'm amazed at how different Mr Child has managed to make these books. I'm ready to read number 4!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Series Opener -if a little too straightforward, 27 Jun 2011

The clichés about Small Town America were many and, being a UK citizen writing about people and places of the USA, Child's made a little too much effort to sound American. Count how many times he uses the phrase ". . . as he nosed the car out of the parking lot . . . as he nosed the car into traffic. . . " - I actually started to laugh out loud. One of the characters is described in a way that made me envisage him as Colonel Sanders complete with white suit, string neck tie and rootin', tootin' manner about the way he patronises town folk!

That said, you may get the impression from the above that I am extremely critical, yet strangely, I thoroughly enjoyed the pace of the book and the amount of 'stuff' that happens on almost every page. It was sufficiently satisfying that I have begun reading the second book and, no doubt, I will find myself hooked on the series.

I suppose, in many ways, it's a bit like first discovering John Grisham: You can't deny the 'readability' of his books, but they won't exactly challenge your intellect.

Great solid read, don't pass over due to some poor reviews here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the ride - but don't look too deeply !, 15 May 2007
BikeMan (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Lee Child has a smooth, minimal, easy to read style - not a word or a sentence is wasted. This means that the plot moves along rapidly and plenty happens as the story flows at a good pace.

The main character is Jack Reacher who must be the ultimate hero - ultra-tough, resourceful and of course very attractive to the main female lead. So the main attraction of the story is seeing Jack blast through the action. Don't worry too much about the plot details - just enjoy Jack's progress as he uncovers the evil scheme, copes with the unexpected twsts and ultimately gets the bad guys (of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book!, 1 Mar 2011
This is currently my favourite novel of all time.

It might not be very 'deep', but for pure literary enjoyment I've yet to read anything as gripping. The structure of the story is inch perfect, the pace spot on, the revelations brilliantly placed. I can't really offer up any criticisms. It's just an absorbing read from start to end.

Reacher is a fantastic lead character. It's no surprise to me he ended up spearheading countless other novels by the same author. This particular Reacher book is also blessed with an excellent female lead and a very disturbing bad guy. Even the locations are interesting (I'll doubt you'll read too many other thrillers set in Georgia and its surrounding areas). All in all, faultless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cops and Robbers, 13 Feb 2013
Jack Reacher, ex army major, is enjoying the freedom to travel as and where he likes, with no ties. It is when he drops in to a cafe in a little town in Georgia, that he finds himself arrested, and facing a possible murder charge. Reacher senses that all is not as it should be in the town, and a story of murder and corruption on a large scale unfolds, with our likeable, super-hero putting it all to rights.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Reacher, 12 Mar 2012
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This was my first Reacher novel and I'd heard lots of good things (and some bad) so wasn't really sure what to expect. I'm glad I started reading these and I'm now on the 15th book back to back - they are proper page turners!

Lee Child doesn't write the worlds greatest prose but it does work unusually well - it's almost like bullet points descriptions. For example "Reacher got in the car, he started the engine and began to drive".

Normally this kind of writing style wouldn't be to my personal preference but sets the scene well and flows the story along at a nice pace that makes for a compelling read.

The actual story is just about believable, but once you've read more of the Reacher tales then I'd suggest that this may have been better more along the timeline - but that's just me nitpicking on my part! The characters can be a little wooden at times, and some of the plot lines are stretching credibility (without spoiling too much, the location and two related people being there very close in time is unlikely) However, there has been a lot of reviews on the story and how good it is, and my advice is just to give it a try - at around 5 or so it's not a lot to loose but a lot to gain. Be warned though, you may just find it compelling enough to start reading them all one after the other just like I did!

Highly recommended as a good introduction to the character and his story, but there are stronger Reacher books hence the 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd want Jack Reacher on my side !, 4 Oct 2011
Great thriller with real he-man hero, a trained killer who happens to be a bit of a lady killer too. The plot grips immediately, then you are swirled away until the end. Yes of course there are a couple of outrageous coincidences but you know what - it's a work of fiction ! I had no idea the author was English, the American voice was authentic enough for me, all credit to him. This book marks the start of a beautiful friendship!

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book I've ever read., 13 July 2013
I remember back in High School my English class were given a creative writing exercise. I can't remember if it revolved round a particular theme, or it it was just a "write whatever you feel" thing, but I wrote about a guy being held hostage in the Middle East and what he imagined doing to his captors if he had the chance. I don't know if this was around the time Terry Waite was released, as that's a bit of a bizarre subject matter for me to had written about back then (I'd almost always opt for something sci-fi), but it was a revenge fantasy from the point of view of the captive. He never escaped, but he imagined doing so, and getting even on the way out.

I got it back a week or so later with a disapproving look from Mrs McCallum with large capital letters on the front in red pen informing me that I watched too many violent videos. Fair point Mrs. M. My short story was as bad as it sounds. Poorly written, flights of fancy, violence for violences sake and absolutely the kind of thing you'd read from a 13 year old who knew every Schwarzenegger movie made up to that point inside and out.

If you'd told me that Lee Child was my idiot 13 year old self when he wrote this book, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

It was the most stupid, arrogant, chauvinistic, simple, pre-pubescent book I've had the displeasure of reading, but read it I did. I must have read a third of the way through it trying to convince myself it was satirical before it became more and more apparent Child was writing this trash seriously.

The problem with Reacher is that he is invulnerable. There is never any real threat to him. Oh he get's a couple of smacks along the way, nothing serious, but in return he kills indiscriminately and extremely violently. Over the course of the book, by my reckoning, the bad guys kill 5 people, whereas Reacher kills 15. He's an absolute psycho. Now that in and of itself isn't a bad thing, there's nothing like a great anti-hero, right ? Reacher isn't even that.

He's always right despite doing very little detecting or investigating, as the ridiculous coincidences and lucky breaks just come tumbling at him in this story, wiping out any sense of believability. Stuff like he manages to acquire the firearm of the previous Chief Of Police in this tiny desert town, but it ain't a Police issue .38 special, oh no, it's the Israeli built .44 Desert Eagle. Of course it is. There isn't so much of an investigation as evidence/persons of interest fall right into his lap. He displays deductive reasoning like an amateur Sherlock Holmes at one point yet switches it off after that, as at 47% (thanks Kindle) I had the whole thing figured out, yet it took Reacher to 63% before the pieces started to fit together.

Child also tries to ape the snappy effortless prose of the likes of Ellroy by having the book written in the first person by Reacher, so that everything is written in short stacatto sentences, the longest of which never exceeds 15 words. Everyone is called by their last names ( I honestly couldn't tell you the first names of Finlay, Roscoe, Teale, Kliner, Baker, Kliners son, Hubble etc), it's like it should be read by an old grime covered 1950's detective with a dry mouth and clicky tongue, whilst gargling gravel and chewing a brick on a long hard wet night.

The women in the book exist for no other reason than to be rescued or to have sex with Reacher, because he's so damned attractive of course. It was extremely hard to read this as the previous book I'd read was the first Game Of Thrones, which has fantastically strong, three dimensional female characters. To read this just made me wonder if I'd gone back in time 50 years.

Then we come to the writing itself which was a bore. The constant repetition of phrases and the simple language destroy any sense of tension. There's a car chase and shootout sequence that any other writer could make exciting, but for the 4 or 5 pages it covers, Child never once lets you forget Reacher is driving a Bentley. He drove the Bentley. The Bentley turned. The Bentley accelerated etc etc.

It took me till nearly the last third before I clicked onto the fact that I could highlight passages on my Kindle and save them for later so I could laugh at their idiocy, the two choicest and spoiler free ones being : "The hall had four walls and a floor and a ceiling" and "It was as distinctive as the most distinctive thing you could think of." Powerful words indeed, Mr. Child.

This book is pure wish fulfilment if you are a 13 year old boy, an idiot and have no real grasp of the way the world works, or how women are supposed to behave towards you, or how interesting conflicts can arise.

So to finalise, as Lee Child himself would no doubt write :

This was the worst book I'd ever read.
"This is the worst book I've ever read", I told my wife.
"That's the worst book you've ever read ?", she asked me
This was the worst book I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will keep you gripped until the tantalising end!, 15 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This is an excellent read and truly sensational for saying that it is a debut for the talented Lee Child. From the moment Jack Reacher gets off the bus, he becomes embroiled in a non-stop roller-coaster ride of conspiracy and crime with the potential to rock the US. Jack struggles against time to stop the crime in hand. Childs development of the Character- in this novel and his others (DIE TRYING, TRIPWIRE, & THE VISITOR)is truly sensational- why hasnt this guy cleaned up on awards??? I cant wait or his next release.

Killing Floor (Jack Reacher Novels)
Killing Floor (Jack Reacher Novels) by Lee Child (Audio CD - 1 Dec 2012)
5.74