5.0 out of 5 stars Written with wisdom and love
Life's problems - family, love, jobs - take place in many "wrappings". Hollywood and LA, movie stars, producers and fame, are not what most of us have to deal with. But our needs and dreams are yet amazingly alike.

Published on 5 April 2009 by Sissel M. Østdahl

1.0 out of 5 stars What on earth has happened to Danielle Steel?
I've been reading Danielle Steel's books for years and have almost amassed the whole collection, but this was one of the more recent few I'd missed for some reason, so when I chanced across it in a charity shop I was more than happy to add it to the others and settle down for a good, girly, romantic read.

Erm...

If I was being kind I could say that...
Published on 7 Oct 2010 by Nicola F (Nic)

1.0 out of 5 stars What on earth has happened to Danielle Steel?, 7 Oct 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Erm...

If I was being kind I could say that the plotline itself is ok but very `same-same' in contrast to a lot of other recent novels. Infact, it's rather Jackie Collins-y at times with its tale of three women from a legendary Hollywood family with very different paths in life. Luckily, I'm feeling the need to be more honest than kind. This book is so poorly written in contrast to Steel's earlier novels that I'm finding it hard to believe that this was written by the same person. As another reviewer has said: if this was a first time manuscript, there's no way it would have been published, because it is just dire.

Sisters Jane and Coco are worlds apart. Jane is a movie producer and lives with her life partner Liz in an elegant San Francisco home, whilst single younger sister Coco is quite happy living in a tumble-down beach cottage and walks dogs for a living, eager to escape the trappings of fame. Throw into the mix their plastic-surgery loving novelist mother who is dating a much younger man in LA and you can see that families aren't always the same. When put-upon Coco agrees to house-sit Jane's house whilst she's away and encounters an unexpected houseguest, the sparks are soon flying.

I had hoped the characters would be fairly well-developed like her hero's and heroines have been in the past, but instead they come across as either *too* perfect or very unlikeable at times- particularly Jane and the girls' mother. Daydreamer Coco meanwhile comes across as downtrodden and pathetic and as the twenty-eight-year-old is unable to stand up to anyone including her own selfish sister and picky mother, it's hard to feel any real empathy for her at times. The romantic interest is another prime example: he is written as the `perfect man' and is portrayed as having hardly any faults. Steel could have at least given him a few believable character flaws, even if they were relatively minor--but nope, he is of course the perfect friend/father/lover. A bit weak in my opinion. Also, the speed of which the two characters fell in `love' and were declaring it to one another (two days!!) was just laughable. I mean, I know this is a romance, but come on... give the reader a bit of credit instead of just rushing in like that. I'm not saying I expected it to be like real life, but sheesh!

Finally, the story is also written in a rather amateurish way compared to past Steel books with no real sense of flow or detail; infact, in places it almost reads like: "they went to the beach and then they went to get dinner. Then they went back to the house and watched a DVD." Summarising a whole weekend or even a week in a matter of paragraphs or *paragraph* in places! Ok, I'm probably exaggerating somewhat, but this has nowhere near the readability or complexity of plot that her earlier novels do and it grew very tiresome after a while. There's nothing bad about adding a bit of extra detail or drawing the story out to be longer if it will give the book a little bit more substance (and the readability factor), but it's clear that in this novel the writing style is somewhat `minimalist.'

It's so difficult to believe that this book was supposedly written by the woman who is famous for the romantic classics millions of women have loved in the past ("Message from Nam," "The Accident" and "Zoya" amongst others). Do yourself a favour: if you're a Steel fan, don't read this--you will be so disappointed. My recommendation to non-Steel fans would be the same: keep on walking by! Don't even glance in this book's direction. If you want a good Steel read, look at her earlier novels- and stick with them instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Written with wisdom and love, 5 April 2009
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Hardcover)

22 year old Coco is a disappointment to her bestselling author mother and producer sister. Her sister lives in a lesbian relationship with her partner Liz, but any flaw this might have caused, has long been redeemed by her professional success.

Coco works as a dog walker and lives in a small cabin on the beach. She dropped out of law school and loves her simple, free and unpretentious life with her dog Sallie. At least for now.

While house sitting for her sister, Coco meets famous movie star Leslie. They fall in love - et voilà! But not quite. Is it only bliss to be rich and famous? Do mutual feelings mean an automatically happy end?

Danielle Steel touches many of life's important questions in her latest novel. In particular, the matter of materialistic things - fame, wealth and appearances - vis-à-vis the beauty of nature, children and animals. Time for each other and accepting and respecting each other as we are.

A page-turner, yes, but with lots of inspiring moments and words of wisdom inviting pondering stops all along.

An important book, written with wisdom and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing piece of literature, 9 Mar 2010
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Paperback)
Danielle Steel is an amazing author and yet again she has outdone herself with another thrilling novel which gripped me from the beginning to end. I literally couldn't put it down until I had finished it and she has once again created a masterpiece of writing which I will re-read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book !, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Kindle Edition)
Fab easy reading keeping you interested right up to the end :) another Danielle steel must buy towards your novel collection !

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book on holiday it was very good ,I found it hard to put down I wanted to get to the end to see what happens

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Kindle Edition)
delivered to my kindle as requested-haven't read it yet as keeping for my holidays but knowing Danielle Steele I know it will be great

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Kindle Edition)
Dan Steel is always a great read. Love her books, that's why I have so many. Great!! Hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping novel, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Kindle Edition)
enjoyed the book very much as usual with danielle steel, going to get another soon for my holidays cant wait.

3.0 out of 5 stars Once again..., 26 Mar 2009
Denise Cookson (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Hardcover)
I have read all of Danielle Steels books, once again this is a nice easy read but very much like all of her newer books. Something different would be nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously bad., 17 July 2010
helen mason (Brighton, East Sussex Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day at a Time (Paperback)
I totally agree with the other one-star review. I can't understand how this was even published. It is so badly written that I literally laughed out loud at some points. It's as if Danielle Steel has read a book on how not to write and then included every single thing they say not to do. If this had been written by a first-time writer, it would have been rejected by every publisher and sent back with some pretty stern suggestions. Danielle Steel may be a best-selling author, but she is in need of a good editor. Avoid.

One Day at a Time
One Day at a Time by Danielle Steel (Audio CD - 4 Jun 2013)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 weeks