‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way of thinking, 24 Jun. 2012
Mr. A. Hodgson "Pursuivant" (Ascot, Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
'How To Change Your Life One Day At A Time' challenges our thinking and reminds me of another book written some forty years ago by Edward de Bono on the subject of lateral thinking (one of over eighty by that author). His challenging ideas started a philosophical revolution. Stuart Young also challenges us with new thinking but in a different way. Where Dr de Bono's theories are intellectual and involve study, Stuart Young challenges our outlook on a more emotional and personal level. One can follow his suggestions with immediacy and to do so may well promote a new and revolutionary chain of thought. The logic behind each of his daily suggestions makes much sense. There may however be obstacles to following every example of advice because of the reader's situation. I find myself unable to follow every sensible suggestion because to do so would make too large an impact on the lives of others. Nevertheless with 365 ideas to follow it strikes me that to observe as many as one possibly can would result in improvement in one's life in direct proportion to the number of suggestions taken up. Yes these really are new ideas and deserve to be taken seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those books that you want everyone you love to read, 24 Jun. 2012
N. Torbett (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
Whether you feel totally disillusioned with the way your life has unfolded and want a complete change, or there are a few small tweaks which would make a small difference, this book is the one you need if you really want to change your life. Taken as a whole, (I am nowhere near finished) it is enormously powerful, but is cleverly delivered in managable daily suggestions to break down the process and make it a whole lot easier. The most important thing this book has done for me is to help me identify the changes that I really want to make, and for that I am very grateful. This book does exactly what it says on the tin, if you use it and don't just leave it gathering dust on the shelf along with your life!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it is the little things, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
I feel I am in quite a good place in life at the moment, so when a friend recommended this book I did not think I would get much out of it, but having read through it, I would be surprised if everyone couldn't take something, however small. Although some of the chapters are aimed at helping the reader to make some considerable changes in their lives, some point out small changes you can make which give you a different outlook on life and on other people. I have now become much more tolerable of others at work who used to grind on me and I feel more relaxed generally which is also helping me sleep sounder, due to the guidance about my outlook on life. You may think there is little change to make in the way you go about life, but this book will certainly make you look at things differently and definitely help you make improvements to how you approach life's challenges.

4.0 out of 5 stars How it improved my life, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
This book was a recommendation from a friend, without which I may not have purchased it based upon the title. I've been reasonably successful in both my professional and personal endeavors; so wasn't particularly looking to change my life.
How wrong I was.
Whether you are looking for a significant life change or gradual self improvement, this book has both the simple insights and thought provoking ideas to stimulate the catalyst for continual growth that lies dormant within all of us.
An unexpectedly, pleasant and easy going read. Whether taking it a day at a time or jumping ahead (which I couldn't stop myself from doing); the author provides not only insights, but also tools that can be applied and case studies for those already achieved.
I normally pass any self improvement books to my friends having read them, not with this one.
Within these pages are insights both previously learnt (and some forgotten) and new ideas I will wish to return to. To recognize the changes I've since made.
So I recommend this book and will kindly, politely ask my friends to buy their own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring stuff, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
I have book shelves stacked full of self improvement books, most of them not finished. But I have to confess I've cheated with this one and read right up to December already!

What makes this one different is that it's an idea a day and it's guided by the principle that small changes make a big difference. We're all so busy and so easily distracted these days and I'm no different, but a page a day is an easy habit to get into. It's got a nice down-to-earth style and is really easy to read, which is probably why I've cheated and read nearly a whole year's worth already!

It's crammed full of great ideas and I also like that the author has commented on how he gets on trying to implement his own ideas. It makes it feel more genuine than others I've read which are more 'do as I say, not do as I do'.

I've given it four stars - I wanted to give it 4.5 but it doesn't allow for halves! The only reason I didn't get it five was because I would have loved more case studies. The ones included are great but I would have liked a few more - but maybe I'm being greedy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Buddy!, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
Now, THIS is a must on everyone's shelves for all you fellow bookworms! It's easy to read (and do), laid out in bite-sized chunks, is witty, inspiring and powerful. It is a complete mixture of understanding, philosophy, wit and practical tasks, which are easy to incorporate into your every day life. Whether you are pressed for time or have all weekend, it really is something you can either dip in to or read for hours on end. However you decide to do it, you will relate to it. It is helpful and motivating, you really can make big changes in your life, it all starts with small steps, and this little book is key to assisting you with that. Laid out over a 365 day period, incorporating advice and daily challenges, some small, some will take more time, but they will all help you to make positive changes and further enrich your life. Look at this as a little Buddy you take everywhere with you, I challenge you not to enjoy it! Thanks Stuart :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing gift, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
I was given this book as a gift and have been reading it each morning for a month now. I have found that the bite size chunks easily fit into my day and have encouraged me to think about things from other perspectives. It reminds me that everyday everyone can make small changes that improve their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes, the best we can do is pass on what we know, 8 Oct. 2012
Just about everybody must have heard of the chaos theory/butterfly effect: tiniest of changes having dramatic repercussions. Or even, as ELO would sing: 'Accroches-toi a ton reve'. It must be the time of year: I find myself browsing amongst high-end diaries in a high-street bookstore. One of the few remaining high-street bookstores. (See previous review.) At the time of penning this review, I have been shocked to hear of yet another local old favourite about to slump into the dust, despite its excellent discounts. But I digress.

As a writer, I need constant inspiration to keep my work fresh and original. Imagine, then, dear reader, my delight when I stumbled across this little gem. Not only a thought for each day, but a creative one to boot! I'll definitely (or should I say 'definately', as so many seem to spell it that way these days) be attending WorldCon 2013, for yet even more inspiration.

At a price point of £2.66 - the ebook not the Con - it's much cheaper than its paper and card counterparts. Though maybe not cheaper than chips. Again, I digress.

4.0 out of 5 stars Actionable inspiration in bite-sized bits, 2 July 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
How to Change Your Life one Day at a Time is packed with great ideas on how to add inspiration to your life, day to day. From the most practical "Take the opportunity to catch on some sleep if you need it" to the most profound "Take the opportunity today to think about your death bed speech", Stuart Young captures bits of human nature, in a good natured, encouraging yet straight-shooting way.

I especially like that the book is organized in bite-sized pieces, and is easy to read and digest. Lately, I've begun using it, when I need some inspiration, but I don't know quite what. I ask my soul what I need to consider most today. Then I randomly open a page. Today's open: "Take the opportunity to stop believing everything you think." Hmmm. Let me think about that. :-)

If you're curious about this book but aren't sure, I recommend you take the leap!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
Not only have I got the book in paperback form, I've also bought it for my kindle so that I can take it with me when I go on holiday to visit my brother and his family in Canada. For the last 23 years I beleived I could not afford to visit him,.... then I read this book and realised the limitations I was placing on myself. Once I could see that, I was able to do something about it and immediately set about booking my long overdue trip. (I fly out in July)
This book has helped me to focus on the things I REALLY want out of life and to let go of the things I don't. I love it. It has become my favourite choice of birthday present for friends and family alike. I challenge anyone to not get something invaluable from this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How to Change your Life: One day at a time
How to Change your Life: One day at a time by Stuart Young (Paperback - 23 Mar. 2012)