‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way of thinking, 24 Jun 2012
Mr. A. Hodgson "Pursuivant" (Ascot, Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
'How To Change Your Life One Day At A Time' challenges our thinking and reminds me of another book written some forty years ago by Edward de Bono on the subject of lateral thinking (one of over eighty by that author). His challenging ideas started a philosophical revolution. Stuart Young also challenges us with new thinking but in a different way. Where Dr de Bono's theories are intellectual and involve study, Stuart Young challenges our outlook on a more emotional and personal level. One can follow his suggestions with immediacy and to do so may well promote a new and revolutionary chain of thought. The logic behind each of his daily suggestions makes much sense. There may however be obstacles to following every example of advice because of the reader's situation. I find myself unable to follow every sensible suggestion because to do so would make too large an impact on the lives of others. Nevertheless with 365 ideas to follow it strikes me that to observe as many as one possibly can would result in improvement in one's life in direct proportion to the number of suggestions taken up. Yes these really are new ideas and deserve to be taken seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those books that you want everyone you love to read, 24 Jun 2012
N. Torbett (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
Whether you feel totally disillusioned with the way your life has unfolded and want a complete change, or there are a few small tweaks which would make a small difference, this book is the one you need if you really want to change your life. Taken as a whole, (I am nowhere near finished) it is enormously powerful, but is cleverly delivered in managable daily suggestions to break down the process and make it a whole lot easier. The most important thing this book has done for me is to help me identify the changes that I really want to make, and for that I am very grateful. This book does exactly what it says on the tin, if you use it and don't just leave it gathering dust on the shelf along with your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes, the best we can do is pass on what we know, 8 Oct 2012
Just about everybody must have heard of the chaos theory/butterfly effect: tiniest of changes having dramatic repercussions. Or even, as ELO would sing: 'Accroches-toi a ton reve'. It must be the time of year: I find myself browsing amongst high-end diaries in a high-street bookstore. One of the few remaining high-street bookstores. (See previous review.) At the time of penning this review, I have been shocked to hear of yet another local old favourite about to slump into the dust, despite its excellent discounts. But I digress.

As a writer, I need constant inspiration to keep my work fresh and original. Imagine, then, dear reader, my delight when I stumbled across this little gem. Not only a thought for each day, but a creative one to boot! I'll definitely (or should I say 'definately', as so many seem to spell it that way these days) be attending WorldCon 2013, for yet even more inspiration.

At a price point of 2.66 - the ebook not the Con - it's much cheaper than its paper and card counterparts. Though maybe not cheaper than chips. Again, I digress.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing gift, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
I was given this book as a gift and have been reading it each morning for a month now. I have found that the bite size chunks easily fit into my day and have encouraged me to think about things from other perspectives. It reminds me that everyday everyone can make small changes that improve their lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it is the little things, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
I feel I am in quite a good place in life at the moment, so when a friend recommended this book I did not think I would get much out of it, but having read through it, I would be surprised if everyone couldn't take something, however small. Although some of the chapters are aimed at helping the reader to make some considerable changes in their lives, some point out small changes you can make which give you a different outlook on life and on other people. I have now become much more tolerable of others at work who used to grind on me and I feel more relaxed generally which is also helping me sleep sounder, due to the guidance about my outlook on life. You may think there is little change to make in the way you go about life, but this book will certainly make you look at things differently and definitely help you make improvements to how you approach life's challenges.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Buddy!, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
Now, THIS is a must on everyone's shelves for all you fellow bookworms! It's easy to read (and do), laid out in bite-sized chunks, is witty, inspiring and powerful. It is a complete mixture of understanding, philosophy, wit and practical tasks, which are easy to incorporate into your every day life. Whether you are pressed for time or have all weekend, it really is something you can either dip in to or read for hours on end. However you decide to do it, you will relate to it. It is helpful and motivating, you really can make big changes in your life, it all starts with small steps, and this little book is key to assisting you with that. Laid out over a 365 day period, incorporating advice and daily challenges, some small, some will take more time, but they will all help you to make positive changes and further enrich your life. Look at this as a little Buddy you take everywhere with you, I challenge you not to enjoy it! Thanks Stuart :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read from start to finish..., 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
An inspirational book that's easy to read and practical ideas which are easy to implement. Has definitely made a positive impact on me...can't wait for the sequel!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope in a Book, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: How to Change your Life: One day at a time (Paperback)
A book full of opportunities and so a great reminder that we have them every single day. In times of "doom and gloom" Stuart Young reminds us that we can take positive change in our own hands a little at a time. This book is easy to use and promotes a more mindful lifestyle. I actually use the book often to theme my yoga classes. Students enjoy it and go away with a thought and joyful task! I warmly recommend this book to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult To Avoid The Temptation To Read On!, 11 Aug 2012
This book is quite a refreshing approach to getting more inspiration in your life.
For every day of the year , you are invited to 'Take The Opportunity To. . .' followed by an inspiring idea. Suggestions come from the world of personal development, NLP or self help. It could be to take action of some kind, or write some goals, give someone a hug, etc.
I have come across most, but not all, of the tips in one form or other, hence the four stars.
The author advises that you concentrate on one day at a time, and really allow that day's topic to really sink in, and I think this is the best way to proceed with the book. You don't have to start on January 1st, you simply turn to the date you start the book.
The style reminds me very much of Richard Carlson's in that a topic is covered in a page or two.
My downfall is reigning in the enthusiasm for looking ahead to future suggestions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of My Daily Routine, 3 July 2012
Like many other reviewers I've read a number of self improvement books over the years. Some have helped through dark times, others I've not got beyond chapter 3.
The beauty of Stuart's book (which was given to me by a colleague who had read it) is that it takes a very straightforward approach both by breaking the guidance and advice into one day chunks and secondly by putting its point across simply and clearly. By doing this, it not only means I can take each idea or suggestion on its own daily merit (thus building up what works for me...and let's be honest not every opportuntity works for everyone every day), but it also means that the idea stays with me as part of my daily thinking.
I cannot praise this book highly enough. It has helped me think more clearly about what's important (and what's not) and reading each day's entry is now part of my morning routine. Thank you Stuart for helping me to get my head together every morning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How to Change your Life: One day at a time
How to Change your Life: One day at a time by Stuart Young (Paperback - 23 Mar 2012)
16.69