5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read
Straight forward, easy to understand, description of why we do what we do day after day without thinking. A scientific book without the jargon together with numerous relevant examples to explain every concept. Unusually for such a book, the author is English and so the examples relate to everyday life in the UK: no baseball here.
Every aspect of habits appears to be...
Published 21 months ago by Tony Jarrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy, but some good sources
I nearly stopped reading before I reached the practical suggestions because the long stuff at the start about how important habits are was fundamentally flawed. As I read I realised that many of the phenomena the author was taking as habits weren't really habits at all. He also kept saying that habits are unconscious, which isn't always true.

So, not a good...
Published 20 months ago by Matthew Leitch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Kicking the habit, 15 Mar 2013
Rather lengthy explanations about why people form habits that don't immediately suggest a self-help plan. I'm begiining to lose interest before I've got to the practical help section.

2.0 out of 5 stars A lot of the same, 16 Oct 2014
Lots of research and information. However, a lot of reading for very little understanding or direction on how to make or break habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sep 2014
Really good book

5.0 out of 5 stars so true, 17 Dec 2014
one of the most insightful books ever written. Love it

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, overly academic and bleeding obvious, 2 July 2013
It was painful reading this book.

I could tell the author was a typical middle class white British professor who had been reading academic papers his whole life, with no to little real life/practical experience.

If I buy a self-help book, I want you to give me solutions - quick and to the point. This book is extremely descriptive - the author gives tons of irrelevant examples - such as why Einstein was more creative than his students.

This is not what I want to know. I want to know what exactly a habit is and how specifically I can form a good habit and get rid of a bad one - quickly and effectively. That's why I like American writers - they speak to the point: the problem is A. In order to overcome it, you need to do B, C and D. Failing that's try Z. Give specific, relevant and precise examples. Start a new chapter.

As such, this book is an exercise is verbosity. It is full of sentences like: 'Research has shown that the stronger the habit, the longer it takes to overcome it' following which the author discusses at length the participants of the research, samples etc. I am sorry but you don't have to be a genius to figure this out. Or: 'Happy people tend to focus on positive thoughts'. Yea - butter is buttery.

I am a practical busy successful man who needs solutions not some ephemeral 'research'. As such, I regret I wasted time reading this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars The information is in his website, 21 April 2013
This book is badly written and quite boring. The information is dispersed, and you can obtein it by free in the author's webpage in a concise way.

It is no recommended to waste yout money in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 April 2013
I purchased the Kindle version of this book. It presents the psychology of habits in an understandable and enjoyable way. The quality was good. Highly recommended as you don't have to have done a psychology degree to understand the content!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 July 2014
ok

4.0 out of 5 stars New way of dieting, 17 April 2013
This diet suggests a 5:2 regime - five days of ordinary eating interspersed with two days of 'fasting'. Seems like an idea worth trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Reading!, 30 Mar 2013
I Love Reading! I carry a book around with me most of the day. I most times only buy books that I know I will enjoy reading. I have a preference for certain authors but do like trying new ones too. I treat books as my companion & never leave home without them?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›