5.0 out of 5 stars well written
A well written and enthralling book. Totally original story and plot, charaters are extremly well developed. I would recommend reading in order otherwise will not make sense, but definately read.
Published on 10 Jun 2012 by Mr. S. M. Elliott

2.0 out of 5 stars Queensland invaded by aliens, no-one cares
Convoluted strands flicking from Fantasy World X to Queensland, Australia. (Any Aussie will tell you that all sorts of weird stuff happens in Queensland). This also applies to the spelling.

Published 20 months ago by jacw2000

5.0 out of 5 stars well written, 10 Jun 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Pradox - Progeny of Innocence, 9 Dec 2011
Tara Webb (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews

Firstly, I should say that the attention to detail in this book is every bit as good as in the first - there is still good artwork within the book, and ...moreI was really excited when I got asked if I'd like a review copy of the second book in the series. I enjoyed The Angels are Here but I had loads and loads of questions after finishing the book, which I assumed would be answered further in the story - and let's just say that in Progeny of Innocence, a lot of my questions were answered.

Firstly, I should say that the attention to detail in this book is every bit as good as in the first - there is still good artwork within the book, and it really does add a nice touch to the story. I know looks aren't everything, but it can certainly help!

Secondly I should say that I enjoyed Grace a lot more as a character in this book than in the previous. She's no longer a little girl, which made her much more relatable for me, and it's also gradually becoming more clear why exactly she's so special, and why she needs protection. Obviously in this review I'm trying not to give too much away, but there are definitely new dimensions added to Grace's character.

I also appreciated Angela more in this book, and I liked the continuity of her character. Roberts clearly hasn't forgotten what made Angela so interesting to her readers, and she definitely provides some comic relief when needed, even when she's clearly not trying to.

One of my main problems with the previous book was the lack of information regarding the Angel's world, and how the war from there is affecting the human world. Again, this is addressed in this book, and a large chunk at the beginning of the novel is set in the Angel's world, and really describes what's going on there, as well as adding new threads to the story - which I will be interested in seeing where they lead. Also, without giving too much away, I think that following this book, the effects of the Ancient world on our world is going to become a whole lot more obvious.

This book really captivated my attention, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself whilst reading it. The first book was good, but this book was much better, in my opinion. Roberts really has a gift for keeping the story flowing nicely, and giving enough away to keep the reader in the loop, whilst they're still hanging on to find exact details.

For anyone who hasn't read the first book, both books are available in a double pack special edition now, and I'd totally recommend that to them. However, if you have read the first book, I'd totally recommend this - I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One page and you are hooked, 30 Aug 2012
I cant recommend this series more. It is an ever evolving world that becomes more complex as you read on. It will make you want the next installment instantly. Please read in order and enjoy the expirence- you wont regret it- I wish someone would make this into a film. Eagerly waiting for the third book in this GREAT series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 30 Mar 2012
M Medler "Ella" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paradox - Progeny Of Innocence: 2 (Paperback)
I do not remember when I have been more spellbound by a fantasy book before.
I thought `The Angels Are Here' was good, but not quite fully cooked. With Progeny of Innocence Patti Roberts is just showing off. This book delivers on so many levels.
There is so much emotion in this story, so many human traits - the good (love, friendship, bravery and boldness) and the shameful (lust, egotism, self-indulgence, viciousness) all thrown together. But you can never misinterpret the true colour of a person. That weaker characterisation I saw in Book 1 here and there has gone completely. Patti Roberts has grown up. Her writing skills rival some of the very big names out there and I would be surprised if awareness of her talent doesn't sky-rocket within a few short months.
`The Angles Are Here' was a sweet little introduction to a fantasy world that might or might not be real. With `Progeny Of Innocence' we have no choice but to believe. It's not a fantasy anymore, it is a certainty. `It is a shame,' Patti says, `that real life events very rarely portray the grandiose victories personified in fiction'. Because we know, we feel that undercurrent to all of our lives. We've always suspected there is more to this inconsequential human existence and Patti Roberts makes it easy to imagine what this might be.
The WAFEs slowly awake and remember, and the guardians pull together. Sparks are flying and you find yourself gnawing on your nails with increased anxiety. The good and the evil dance around each other in ever-decreasing circles until you shiver with the imminence of the epic battle you can see will be unleashed in the very near future.
There is a YA tinge to most of the second half of the novel, but it is nicely done and the adult world weaves through it skilfully. There are stories within the story, and again they do not detract, but expertly add to the texture and depth of the main plot.
We see heavy symbolism and original threads too, and a little Shakespearean conflict between the two obvious enemies: Damon, in body, hangs out with the Grigorians but his heart and spirit have long belonged to Juliette.
I must make a special mention. Often debut authors are so eager to get on with their story that they don't spend enough time getting to know their own world, and that shows. Sometimes, they are lucky enough to be able to develop it in an acceptable manner in a sequel, and sometimes it is just so seriously underdeveloped, it is jarring. This is not the case here. Patti Roberts is so comfortable with her creation that it leaves no questions unanswered. You can see the prisoners being dragged in, you can see the forest and its people, you can understand the relationships between the six ancient races and feel their resistance to Grigorian rule.
Paradox is not a story in a place - it is the legend of a whole world.
As far as I am concerned, I don't know how Patti's writing could be improved upon. I'm waiting for the third book in the series and will be counting the weeks to its release. And there is a very strong chance that I might be tempted to sneak back to the Paradox blog page to get my fix and check for news.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels Coming Of Age, 4 July 2014
This series must be read in order. The first book is Paradox - The Angels Are Here. This is the second book.

These books are written by an Australian so there was a bit of a learning curve to reading them. That said this book was even better than the first one :) It picks up some years after the first book ends when Grace is a teenager. I was really happy with that as I found it easier to relate to her at the older age. If I had had to read about her whole childhood I would probably have gotten bored eventually.

There really is no series to compare this one to. All aspects of it are incredibly original. In essence the Earth is plagued by demons (Gregorians) and angels but they are all aliens. There are elements of scifi mixed in with the fantasy along with horror, suspense, comedy, tragedy, action, adventure and a dash of romance. You really never know what will happen next! It is fast paced and moves swiftly from the very beginning.

I really love this series and cannot wait to read more :) Paradox - Bound By Blood is the next book. I believe this series would appeal to a wide range of readers especially paranormal enthusiasts and modern fantasy lovers. There's a little bit for everyone in this series :)

***This series is suitable for adult readers only

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 4 Nov 2013
Written with a YA audience in mind, but there's plenty there to hook the older reader. This is a good urban fantasy/paranormal novel. The only downside being the few spelling mistakes that slipped past the proof reading stage, and unfortunately spoiled the narrative flow slightly. Will certainly be looking up the others in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invasion by vampires, 6 Feb 2013
This is yet another young author that I have never read before, but I will be looking out for more of her books in the future. Well written and well rounded charcters. Would recommend this book especially if you like vampire tales.

2.0 out of 5 stars Queensland invaded by aliens, no-one cares, 1 Jan 2013

A bit reminiscent of Twilight except the sun shines and the baddies are evil warriors from another planet, not vampires (even though they leave "puncher" marks on their virginal victims.). The goodies seem to be warriors from Fantasy World X too. Some characters are aliens pretending to be human and vice versa. It's not entirely clear, and hard to care.

Lots of characters but lacking in characterisation - the author names lots of teens but provides little detail, possibly because they are all going to die in mysterious fires, demonic hound attacks and magical sword incidents. This sort of thing might work better as a soap opera - it fails as a novel. It doesn't help that this is volume 2 in a series

Jack Whittaker is a database administrator specialising in SQL Server technologies and author of the DBAtasks Blog -[...]

Paradox - Progeny Of Innocence: 2
Paradox - Progeny Of Innocence: 2 by Patti Roberts (Paperback - 3 Dec 2011)