5.0 out of 5 stars Different, inspiring and well recommended.
I've read countless adventure and travel books and the majority fail to address the psychology of why we love to travel - a genuinely interesting subject matter. This book manages to explore our constant desire for travel in a clear and tangible way by following a simple walk across India.

The journey itself is not as spectacular or 'epic' in comparison to his...
Published on 21 Feb 2012 by J. Atkins

Published 5 days ago by diabla

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, inspiring and well recommended., 21 Feb 2012
J. Atkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: There Are Other Rivers: On Foot Across India (Paperback)

The journey itself is not as spectacular or 'epic' in comparison to his other adventures, yet it manages to perfectly capture the essence of an adventure. He really emphasizes key elements such as the 'get up and go' factor and I love it.

Simple chapter headings, 'sunrise, dawn, challenge, alone' etc will keep the reader entranced and enthralled in this journey. As with all of Alastair Humphrey's books they are beautifully written, a rarity for this genre, it really does make such a difference to read, for the simple element of expression.

If you are a 'traveller' (I use that expression reluctantly), or a more noble adventurer, then this is the book for you. I myself have done cycle touring and I could now comfortably settle down to life of cups of tea and heated car seats, this book reignites the spark in me to get back on the open road, and when I do, the first thing I do will be to pack this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is another India, 17 July 2013
This review is from: There Are Other Rivers: On Foot Across India (Paperback)
This was the first book I read by Alastair Humphreys which I came across quite by accident whilst looking for something else but I'm so glad I did. It is not like any other travel book I have read before where you get an almost day-by-day account of a journey in diary form. This book captures 'Alastair's India' as he walks the length of a holy river, condensed into what appears to be a single day. Alastair writes, "I don't have the capacity to bottle the extraordinary essence of India" but in the 121 pages I felt he did exactly that. Not only are there some incredible descriptive passages of daily life in rural India, some wonderful insights into the philosophy of travel through the use of interior monologues, but the occasional dramatic aside pulls you into the action, and the vocabulary and patterns of language used throughout complement the content and make this a highly sensory read.

For those of you who are thinking about dipping your toe in the water and setting out on a journey of your own, be it a small 'Microadventure' at home or a 'Macroadventure' in far flung lands, this book would be a great travel read and inspiration for your own journey.

This is short enough to read in one sitting and yet packed full of interesting thoughts about travel and delivered with great humour. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to chuck it all in and get on the open road!, 22 Nov 2011
I'm one of those people who devour adventure books because vicariously I can be out there experiencing it too. In this book Alastair takes us on an internal journey as much as describing parts of his walk across India. It resonated with me deeply in parts, the need to be someone extraordinary, the desire to shed all physical possessions and just exist simply. I identify with the need to keep moving - I move every few years but I'm not as brave as Alastair. I also fell in love with India when I travelled there. It's one of those places I felt at home in so it was great to revisit some of those impressions through the eyes of such a seasoned traveller.

I find myself strangely jealous of the freedom to sleep under the stars, to walk towards the setting sun, to take each day anew. If you sometimes feel this way, you'll love this book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside the mind of a solitary man, 30 Aug 2014
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: There Are Other Rivers: On Foot Across India (Paperback)
Right at the start of this book Alastair Humphreys lists three things this book is not about.
1. A book about India
2. A chronological account of a coast-to-coast walk across southern India
3. An epic adventure tale

This a very short book, about 100 pages, and it is none of the above-mentioned though elements of each of them do crop up in the narrative. It is easier to say what this book is not about than what it is about. I think it is about a journey into the mind of this adventurer who happens to be walking across India following the course of a river, coast to coast.

Anyone who has travelled alone, outside their comfort zone whatever that might be, will very quickly get in tune with the mind, musings and thoughts of this book. The question why? is confronted from different perspectives. The seeking out of a challenge for its own sake, physical and psychological striving, and the achievement of the End.

I was hooked from the I read the Author's Note referred to above and found it a thought-provoking read. It is a very personal insight into the mind of a solitary traveller and worthy of a second reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and tranquil, 11 May 2012
There Are Other Rivers. This book is a dream to read. It has turned me from a person with a "Never in a million years" desire to visit India. Into one who cannot wait to go..
Al has the knack of drawing you into his journey and all the trials and tribulations. It is a wonderful insight into the India most of us would never get to see. The places off the tourist route.

Well worth reading if your like me and an armchair traveller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure inspiration, 26 Feb 2012
In a world of cliche-ridden "man/woman conquers the world" adventure accounts, Al's latest book stands out. There Are Other Rivers compresses his recent walk across India into a single day on the road, during which he explores different aspects of the travelling experience. It's a bold break with adventure writing convention which he pulls off with great success. Passionate and irresistible, this book is ultimately a rallying call to switch off the TV, set yourself an ambitious goal - whatever that may be - and make the most of every precious second of life. I can't think of a better way to spend a couple of hours and two pounds!

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book on an approach to life and understanding why we want to travel, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: There Are Other Rivers: On Foot Across India (Paperback)
This is not your average travel book, don't expect it to focus to much on the walking/India/Culture... though you do get a degree of insight into the journey Al undertakes across India. This book is more an introspective review of himself and an exploration as to why he travels. Some wonderful thoughts and ideas which may cause the reader to examine themselves and the reason why they aren't out travelling.

There is a great chapter about Flabbiness which is worth reading by itself.

Its a short read and definitely not a waste of time, if it is Al ain't shy about hearing about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought this as a present but glad I read most of it as I shan't give ..., 21 Dec 2014
Have been to India many times. Bought this as a present but glad I read most of it as I shan't give it. It is boring, tedious, incredibly repetitive. I can't believe that someone has made money from this 'all about me and my wanderlust' book. Amazed by all those good reviews - I feel that either it's 'The Emperor's New Clothes' syndrome or I'm a greedy reader wanting more from a book! I know that he states that it is not a book about India but why not make it a bit more about India and less about himself - would make it more interesting! Why does the word 'exploitation' resound in my head?

4.0 out of 5 stars More why than what, 7 Jun 2014
M. Fields (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: There Are Other Rivers: On Foot Across India (Paperback)
If you're interested in why someone leaves a wife and a comfortable life in the UK to go and walk the course of a river in India, then this gives a personal view. If you want to be challenged about what's important in life and whether you're making the most of what you have, then prepare to think and consider your lot.

If you want a guide to India in general or this river in particular, then this is definitely not the book for you. The adventure is in the unknown, not in following the footsteps of others.

5.0 out of 5 stars and enjoy the words and the images of places I will ..., 3 Dec 2014
I am a big fan of this writer, I subscribe to his newsletter, and find his writing blissful. I can't imagine how on his round-the-world bike trip he had the energy at the end of the day to journal his thoughts - as is evident by the detail of the subsequent book he has written for us. I read it every day, and enjoy the words and the images of places I will probably never see, yet know something of the places and people through his writing. I can highly recommend this book for anyone interested in our planet.

There Are Other Rivers: On Foot Across India
There Are Other Rivers: On Foot Across India by Alastair Humphreys (Paperback - 28 Nov 2011)