5.0 out of 5 stars Battle of the teutoburg, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Four Days in September: The Battle of Teutoburg (Paperback)
I have always been fascinated by the battle of the Teutoberg. It always ranked with me as one of the worst and most unexpected defeats of the Romans. I have previously read Major Tony Clunns book on his discovery of the battle site (his book also includes a great fictional account of the battle) and Adrian Murdochs book Romes Greatest defeat. I found Murdochs book brilliant on the lead up to and the aftermath of the battle but not so much on the battle itself.

Four days in September I believe stands tall as the new bench mark for this battle. It is not a perfect book by any means. The author is informative and engaging, the book moves along at a good pace. He clearly knows his stuff and his passion comes across in his writing. At times he can make speculative assessments and conclusions but always admits when this is the case and tries to keep things as logical as they can be given the available information.

One of my gripes (and very minor) is that the flow of the book is slightly disturbed just prior to the start of the battle when the author details the arms and armour of all parties involved. Now this is vital information and needs to be included but just seemed to upset the flow where it was included. Again this is a very minor gripe.

The detail on the battle itself is informative, engaging and a highly enjoyable read. The aftermath is covered nicely with all the participants covered ( I really enjoyed his discussion on the fate of Arminius, thusnelda and their son Thumelicus). With both Clunn and Murdoch books I felt I had read a good book but not all was covered where as with Four days in September I can happily say if I want to read about the battle of the teutoburg again then I have the book that is the best on it. Five star book

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched definitive account of Teutoberg, 3 Aug 2013
Mr. Nj Mcallister (Surrey, Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I found this to be the best account I have read of the battle of Teutoburg forest. It has a good preamble of the events leading up to the battle and a good account of the battle in terms of what we know. The author has a number of very interesting ideas about the event which he elucidates in a clear and well reasoned manner whilst making it clear what evidence there is to support his ideas. He also outlines the current thinking on the issues and does all of this in an engaging style of writing. I believe he is an historian to watch. Someone whose work I will be keeping an eye out for. All in all the best account I have come across on this subject

Four Days in September: The Battle of Teutoburg
Four Days in September: The Battle of Teutoburg by Jason R. Abdale (Paperback - 29 April 2013)
11.45