4.0 out of 5 stars Slumber
I don't really read many fantasy books because to be truthful, quite often I find them really heavy going, but this lovely romantic fantasy by Samantha Young was a delight to read. With adorable main characters and a great plotline it was hard to put down.

Published on 30 Aug 2011 by The Slowest Bookworm

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
I did not find this book Slumber at all easy to get into.I was half way through before I began to enjoy it. I am now reading another of Samantha Youngs books Moon Spell .I am finding it very similar difficult to get into at the beginning.As a result I will not be trying any more. Moon Spell (the Tale of Lunarmorte.
Published 22 months ago by Ivy Mcgregor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Slumber, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)

The story is set in the fantasy world of Phaedra where the Princezna (Princess) Haydyn has ruled, with the help of the Rada (her council) since her fathers death. The main character, Rogan, is Haydyn's handmaiden and best friend and has to go on a terribly dangerous journey to save the Princezna's life when she falls sick with the Sleeping disease.

Rogan was such a fun character to follow. With her determination to save Haydyn's life come hell or high water and her denial of her attraction to the head of the Guards, Captain Wolfe, she made for very interesting reading. My favourite character was Wolfe, who I loved before I knew how the story was even going to unfold. I don't think anything would have put me off him. Tall, strong, handsome, a little moody and a nobleman to boot. The snarky conversations and comments between Wolfe and Rogan made me laugh so much.

This story wasn't all just love though. Rogan had a tough quest to follow and went through many hardships along the way and I loved how she became a much stronger and decisive person whilst on her journey. There were many secondary characters along the way - some scary and had me on the edge of my seat while others were kind and sincere. My favourite of these characters was young `L' Moss who was a mountain girl and as rough as they come, but also very dependable and sweet (although I think if `L' knew I'd just called her sweet she'd probably throw up!)

Slumber swept me through a full range of emotional highs and lows, and yes at one point I was trying to read through teary eyes whilst at others I was holding my breath so long my chest hurt.

There is a very handy guide at the beginning of the book which includes a map of Phaedra, covering the countries Provinces so that you can follow Rogan on her journey and also an index of the names/terms used in the book. Both of these I found very useful.

Slumber is a definite must read for YA fantasy lovers and if you've never read fantasy before, but have been thinking about giving this genre a go, Slumber would be a great place to start. Some of the content in Slumber may not be suitable for younger teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give me more Slumber!, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
I really loved this book. It was fast paced throughout, full of adventure, excitement, magic, wit and a little romance thrown in - everything you would want and expect from what has been said to be based around the Sleeping Beauty story. I couldn't put it down.
I really loved the main characters Rogan and Wolfe and think that they are the best so far from Samantha Young. I have now read all her books on my kindle and i really enjoy her writing. Slumber was different too the other Samantha Young books that i have read so i was unsure if the story was for me, but i must say that i am glad that i bought it. I finished very quickly and it left me wanting more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ms young has done it again!!, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
I'm only half way through this book, but feel compelled to write a review. Its brilliant - so diffrent, but utterly addictive - I cant put it down. Ms Youngs leading men are getting hotter by the book, but whos complaining!! Its great and i cant wait for part two.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 13 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Slumber, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
Rogan's childhood is cut short when a man called Stovia kills her family and takes her and others who have magical talents to secure Princezna Haydyn power after her father's death. Now having growing up together Haydyn and Rogan have become as close sisters but when Haydyn starts dying, only Rogan's powers can find the flower that will save her. However, the man who is meant to look after her is Wolfe, the son of the man who ruined her life, can she trust him or will she fall for the man who she should hate.

Slumber is a unique retelling of sleeping beauty because it is told from the point of view of her best friend. This book is a great mix of romance and fantasy with nonstop action.

Rogan is a really likable character who has not had an easy life but has come out stronger for it and I could empathise with her and understand her decisions. I also like Haydyn who is sweet and does not really believe in herself. However my favourite character is Wolfe as he has a clear sense of right and wrong and is the perfect fantasy hero.

Young has also put a lot of detail into the secondary characters especially L who is brave yet sweet at the same time. Also the world building is interesting with the different types of magic especially Haydyn's Dyvatzi power which I have not heard of similar before.

I love Slumber and cannot wait to read L's story in Sneak Thievery when it comes out. I would recommend Slumber to people who like fantasy romance and fairytales.

5.0 out of 5 stars refreshing, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
refreshing new release. Like the new world and concept. Give it a try if you like the author. Enjoy!!! New !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 12 Aug 2011
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, it had everything you want in a story! :D Must read! :D Once again, Well Done Samantha! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Slumber, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
Very exciting books, holds me so I cannot put them down, and cannot wait for the next book to arrive

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy, adventure and romance in a good story, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
It's with this book I've discovered how Ms Young is a really good story teller.
This book is so good that I couldn't put it down until I've reached this end.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
I'm not usually into fiction like this, different world, beings etc....but, I was quickly drawn into this book and disappointed when it ended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Slumber: The Fade: Book One
Slumber: The Fade: Book One by Samantha Young (Paperback - 26 Oct 2011)