5.0 out of 5 stars Fate had a few surprises in store.
Published on 3 Dec 2011 by Jarrak

3.0 out of 5 stars shades of grey
This is a 'Gods live amongst us' story.

Published on 15 Aug 2011 by D. J. Ketchin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fate had a few surprises in store., 3 Dec 2011
Damian's Oracle is a good example of a story I may have passed by if not for a promotional offer from the author via one of my usual haunts in this case a retweet. The book and by extension the series tells the story of a classic good versus evil battle on a scale as large as the universe and beyond time itself. The immediate concern is the fate of the Earth and humanity fought between what amounts to Gods and their host aided by humans with gifts which set them apart from the normal everyday homo-sapiens. Thrust into the middle of this battle is Sofia a young woman who is suffering from an unknown malady but in reality she is on the "naturals" who is destined to serve the White or Black Gods whether she wants to or not.
I found Damian's Oracle a very easy read, it's not that long or complex and serves up some nice characters and situations. The mythology is certainly interesting with the combination of Gods who walk amongst us and what amounts to advanced humans with the "old ones" in the background who will probably remain vague to aid in the mystery of the time and space spanning conflict.
I think the best recommendation I can make is that with the first book costing me nothing I am quite prepared to pay for the second in the series, given the choices in the market that has to be a good thing:)

3.0 out of 5 stars shades of grey, 15 Aug 2011
D. J. Ketchin "living in books" (Edinburgh Uk) - See all my reviews
This is a 'Gods live amongst us' story.

It doesn't quite slip into the erotic horror category, which I was a little supprised by as it seems to have all the hallmarks of the genre. A young woman is drawn into the supernatural underworld by her secret legacy and protected by the strong handsome immortal who needs her aid to wage his eternal war against his evil counterpart. After being abducted our heroine in peril finds she is the first Oracle in thousands of years and is sought by the White god and the Black god who have been conducting a secret war since history began.

Its a bit cheesy and formulaic but not badly written. I think may have been a lot better if it had succumbed to the lure of romance/horror but it just sets up the potential for romantic entanglement and doesn't really deliver much in the way of horror, romance or fantasy. Its an introductory novel , but Im not hooked enough to want to read the next couple even if they are free. Its not bad , but its not gripping either.

It and the next couple in the series are free on kindle. If you are looking for some dark fantasy - which may develop into romantic horror later this may be your cup of tea if you don't want to shell out.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read!, 14 Jun 2011
I really enjoyed this book - so much so that I finished it the same day and purchased the next one! I thought that the storyline was great and the characters were engaging. Well worth a read!

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 10 April 2014
Loved the story. It started off slow but picked up fast. I enjoyed Sophie and Damian's story. Nothing erotic, just romance and lots of action. 4.5 starts from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first book but needed a little work, 21 Oct 2013
Good plot, characters and had an easy pace that kept the story flowing.

The characters were developed although the build up of their romance was a little tedious considering it seemed like it would show erotic scenes except it was more along the lines of "he led me to the bedroom" and then skipped to "I woke up sore and sated". If your going to write about the details of someones body and their attraction you should go the extra mile or keep it strictly YA.

The concept of the story with it being about ancient gods was fresh, although I can never wrap my head around stories where someone is single for thousands of years and then suddenly all the main male characters meet their soul mates within a few years of each other. Abit stale and unbelievable but still enjoyable.
Also adding to this point is the villain Czerno states he's going to rape Sofia as part of her torture so if your going to put content such as that in there then why no sex scene?

Actually wish there was more about the Guardians as a whole in it as I thought they were interesting and the concept of the Naturals could have been the main focus of the story so hope their elaborated upon in future books as i'm still not sure where they come from or how the Guardians become immortal.

It seems i've written it negatively but I did enjoy the story and am currently reading book 2 which i'm glad to say still has Sofia in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 July 2013
I really liked this book and went on to buy the rest of the series. This is my kind of series where you find out what is happening to previous characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 12 July 2013
Rosalind DETERVILLE (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This is a kind of romantic/horror book. I downloaded this free and was not disappointed with the storyline. My only negative point is that it was too short and not enough im spent on each character.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 25 Jun 2013
I liked this book, but I really wanted to love it.

The characters are likeable and you really empathise with the heroine and the situation she is thrust into. The supporting characters are both entertaining and engaging, adding bits of humour to the story along the way.

The only negative I have really is that it just isn't long enough. The book is good but I feel like it would have been great if things had been expanded on and the author spent more time on Sophia's transformation, her and Damien's relationship and how it grows into them falling in love. It all felt a bit rushed and I was surprised when it ended as I thought there would be so much more to Sophia and Damien's story arc.

Guess I will just have to read the next ones to find out :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars War of gods, 19 May 2013
Wow, what a start to a series. I bought this book just recently,. I loved it from the first few pages, the chemistry between the characters Damian and Sophia sends sparks across the pages. I can't wait to start the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars A++, 27 April 2013
My favourite of the whole series, I was really pulled in the world of the characters, I found myself laughing, had a little tear in some parts also lol, great story plot and characters, would highly recommended this author as her work is fantastic

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Damian's Oracle: War of Gods, Book One
Damian's Oracle: War of Gods, Book One by Lizzy Ford (Paperback - 1 Jan 2011)
5.26