5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Historical Must-Have Book!!!!
To begin with I must confess that I am a massive fan of the Dorling Kindersley (DK Publishing) eyewitness series of books. I love their travel guides and when my children were young the eyewitness books were their all time favorites. The History of Britain and Ireland even has my favorite historical figure on the cover: Elizabeth I.

This tome goes above and...
Published on 22 May 2011 by PoCoKat

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather dissapointed
DK produce a lot of these 'encylopedias', but in my opinion would be much better with the inclusion of lots of maps and diagrams. I think that DK rely far too much on old paintings and illustrations which just aren't going to excite today's young generation. I'm in my 50s and I find this book, in the visual sense, totally boring!
Published 11 months ago by zippy

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Historical Must-Have Book!!!!, 22 May 2011

This tome goes above and beyond the normal Eyewitness Book. Beginning with Britain's first inhabitants it creates a pictorial and narrative history that utilizes facts with photographs and illustrations to recreate Britain and Ireland's amazing history for the reader.The book follows the history of these great islands chronologically. It is divided into six sections:

Britons and Invaders Up to 1066
Medieval Britain 1066 - 1485
Tudors and Stuarts 1485 - 1688
Rise of Power 1688 - 1815
Industry and Empire 1815 - 1914
Modern Times 1914 - Present

Each section begins with a comprehensive timeline of the events that took place during that period. The political, military and social history of each period is covered in depth and of course are beautifully illustrated. For example, in the Tudor section there is a piece about Henry VIII, Religious Upheaval, Scottish Troubles, Elizabeth I, English Society Under the Tudors, Sailors and Privateers, The War With Spain, William Shakespeare (just to name a few) and a lovely two page spread on Tudor Life featuring pieces of jewellery, coinage and accessories including a pair of gloves. I cannot overemphasize the beauty of the illustrations included in this volume.

I have a degree in history and I am completely passionate about history and I highly recommend this gorgeous book for young and old alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fanstastic overview of this history of the British Isles, 25 May 2011
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Although I know some history in depth, my more general knowledge of British history is poor - I left the Tudors and Stuarts behind at primary school and haven't been back their since. I may have a vague idea what the War of the Roses was about but would probably fail to get even the most basic questions wrong in a pub quiz about the Dark Ages. So, this book was a very welcome addition to my shelves, provding as it does a comprehensive guide to the history of Britian and Ireland since the dawn of time.

Dorling Kindersley are famous for their illustrated guides - I have some of their travel guides which are guaranteed to make you want to visit the places described - and this new history book is up to their usual standard. I've been happily browsing it for the last few days and have found it to be a great book to pick up for half an hour or so and its certainly attracted the attention of any visitors to the house - most of whom seems to have as patchy a knowledge of Britain's history as I do.

The illustrations and double page spreads have to be seen to be believed. Browsing its pages is a little like visiting a museum - many artefacts are brought to life by excellent photographs and graphics.

Of course, for most of the topics covered, the book will me more of a jumping off point for further reading - you can't really expect to cover thousands of years in 400 pages. But for a brief overview of each period, its about as good as any I've seen. I would think it would be invaluable for families with enquiring children, but there are few adults who would be able to resist browsing it to fill in the gaps in their knowledge.

Now that history is not even a compulsory subject under the national curriculum for secondary school students, I think that this book like would go some way towards helping those families who have missed learning about Britain's heritage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much entertaining, and a reference for those of us who don't have a good memoir!, 26 Jun 2011
Of course, a History of Britain and Ireland in one book has to be shortened. Some main issues may even lack. But the essential is there, to replace the main elements of the two countries (and more nations). This is a luxury attractive very well illustrated book, to be used as a reference, even for those who are specialized in a certain period of history, jus as a reminder that history is built by history. The links with Europe and the world are not forgotten. A useful reference book for all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Book, 1 Nov 2011
I bought this book to dip into whenever a bit of history whetted my desire for more knowledge. I was not disappointed, this is just what I was looking for

5.0 out of 5 stars great book , great service!, 24 Jun 2014
I ordered this book through Amazon with fleetbargainbook company , they were really helpful and gave great service.
The books really informative and great for all ages . I leave it on the table and dip into it all the time.

I would highly recommend Fleetbargainbook company for the help and friendly service they gave .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Summary of our History, 29 April 2014
An absolutely brilliant book I have to say. I’d already read Jeremy Black’s, ‘History of the British Isles’ which I found quite hard going, especially the early years, where there were so many changes going on . It was hardly a fascinating or enjoyable read, more a compilation of facts.
This book is totally different with its wonderful illustrations and paintings adding brilliantly to the written piece. – I really enjoyed reading this and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants an ‘overview’ of our very colourful history. It is laid out chronologically and very easy to follow.
Yes, there’s a lot to get through, but there’s going to be isn’t there in over 2,000 years of history!
Of course a book of this size and subject matter can only give a brief summary of events but it will encourage you to explore further certain subjects, perhaps you’d like to read more on the Romans, the Vikings, the Victorians or the Georgian Periods? It has certainly encouraged me to buy a few more books to learn even more.
Having also read ‘DK’s ‘book on the ‘American Civil War ‘ I really do feel these titles cannot be beat for value, ease of reading and reading enjoyment.
They are not the ultimate book on the subject as you’d need 100 volumes and 30,000 pages, but if like me, you’d like to have a decent overview on most of our history but do not want to read every last detail then this book is just perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars History of Britain and Ireland, 10 Nov 2013
I bought this tome for my three grandchildren to use as an encyclopaedia to answer their every day questions - not even
grandad and granny know all the answers. It's use also encouraged the proper use of an index to find the information.
(It also helped granny and grandad).

4.0 out of 5 stars Another superb DK publication, 9 Nov 2013
Beautifully laid out on high quality glossy paper & extremely well written.
I have no hesitation in recommending all the DK books written in the series

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 2 Oct 2013
I really love this book, it is one of my favourites to look at as a quick reference for dates or a quick run down of events within a certain period in history.
I have always enjoyed the Dorling Kindersley books ever since I was a child and this one is no exception. It is well illustrated and whilst it does not go into depths, it offers quick insights into the era's which can be used as a place to start before you go on in your own more in depth search either online or in different books.

The book starts from Britain's first people and ends in the 2010's so plenty to keep you busy if you looked at it from cover to cover. It is broken up into chapters of each era and each new era begins with a timeline of events within it. The illustrations and photos are bright, colourful and easy on the eye.

I would think kids would enjoy this book as well, but it won't suit very little ones, so probably from about aged 8 up. Having said that, its not babyish and it would suit just adults too.

A really beautiful book which I will always enjoy (once I get it back from my nephew who has borrowed it for his school project!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good coffeetable book, 4 Aug 2013
I wanted a general history book of British history. This book has excellent illustrations but is rather short on written fact. It seemed to be aimed at a younger age range. Fine for dipping into but not much use for historical detail.

History of Britain & Ireland: The Definitive Visual Guide
History of Britain & Ireland: The Definitive Visual Guide by Philip Parker (Paperback - 23 Dec 2013)
13.16