Alright, I know this isn't standard fare, and to be honest most people won't be interested in this in the slightest. I read a lot of older books and so this is of some value to me, as this contains slang terms, and is also humorous. Francis Grose wrote this to amuse as well as to inform so some of the definitions are quite funny, however it does serve a serious purpose as the words and sayings mentioned here would not have been included in a normal dictionary.

This may be of help for those who need to study such material, and if you are writing a novel for that period, even if not you may still find this of help in coming out with something humorous. Best of all, its free.
on 13 June 2011
This is a great dictionary. Very many of the words are still used to this day.
A great book to peruse, and especially helpful if you are an author of Georgian novels.
I love this book!
Word nerds will love this book. I could go back to 1811 and be very rude now that I've read it. I expect I'll be using the word 'fundament' instead of bottom right here in the present and should I need to refer to what differentiates males from females I'm spoilt for choice now. If you want to add some creativity to your swearing you'd benefit from reading this book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 May 2012
The words and their descriptions are, in many cases, very funny. This isnt vulgar as in all swearing,but more words used by the "vulgar classes" or in otherwords, a slang book. This obviously isnt a book for the mild mannered, but if you dont mind finding the occaisional rude word still in use, then its a great book for dipping into in those spare minutes here and there. I loved the apple pye bed - "a trick played by frolicsome country lasses". It also describes many terms for various games played at sea, particularly when crossing the line, and usually involving someone getting very wet.
on 27 December 2011
Great for QI fans and those of Patrick O'Brien. A most interesting source for the development of the English language. Also full of an amzong number of slang words for the various naughty parts. Good to dip into now and again. No plot I can discover.
on 15 May 2014
A good read to dip into for simple amusement, to gain terms to drop into everyday conversation and to get a sidelong look into the minds of certain of our forefathers. As this is authored by a man of the period, there is some explanation lacking, other books go further to explain origin or meaning, but you do get his dry wit, deriding tone and frequent use of the word "monosyllable" as a glorious shorthand for genitals.
on 7 November 2012
This book is a must have on every Kindle shelve because it does exactly what it says on the tin - and more.

It's from 1811, it's a dictionary of vulgar contemporary colloquialisms (many of which are still in use) and like all dictionaries; is an invaluable source of reference.
Moreover it provides both examples and word sources - so in effect provides an effective and entertaining precursor to the popular
"The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language".

Contains the odd transcription error, but is very well presented and easy to use.

Finally; it's free. What else could you possibly wish for?
on 5 January 2012
This dictionary shows the words used by normal people in the early 1800s. There's lots of words I found funny and I also recognised a lot of words my gran used when I was small which are not longer heard. As I'm in my 70's I can see where words have changed over the years as my gran would have been born in the mid 1800s. This is more of a reference work but can always be used (like my grandkids do) to find 'naughty' expressions.
on 25 June 2014
I really found so many words for women's breasts amazing.My goodness and so many words being used still and up to date.Great book.
on 9 February 2016
A very entertaining and amusing read. I am enjoying reading through all the cant expressions of the late Georgian period and finding some that are still in use today. A very useful book for any Georgette Heyer fans out there who want to have the cant she uses in her Regency novels explained. I believe this book may have been one of her sources. Very good for free.