5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Read!
Peripheral
I found the contents of this story compelling - with the storyline taking you into new areas smoothly as it built the story - thought provoking and well written!

It made you feel part of the story, you could feel the emotions and traumas of the people involved.

I would highly recommend this book to others too good to miss out on. Well...
Published on 16 Jun 2011 by Avid Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plot idea, but badly implemented
The idea for the plot of this book is fairly good, but unfortunately the actual execution of the book is poor.
Published on 29 Aug 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plot idea, but badly implemented, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Peripheral (Kindle Edition)
As another reviewer has mentioned, the English isn't well written, if the book was proof read at all then it wasn't strong enough. In several places I had to stop and re-read paragraphs, just to try and make sense of the English. As the plot develops some of the devices used to develop the storyline start to get rather absurd, and I abandoned the book not much past half way through.
The only reason I gave it two stars, rather than one, was because it was cheap and I liked the plot idea; this could have been a decent book if better written.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 23 Aug 2011
C. Fackrell "freddietheone" (York, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peripheral (Kindle Edition)
There are very few books that I have not been able to finish. I am persistent and very patient, I will flog on to the end to extract all the details from what must be a few months, if not years, work for the author. Having done that I will make a considered judgement about the book just read and file it (mentally) as good, 'could be read again' or ho-hum, 'not what I wanted'.

The characters are shallow. The wording hackneyed and cliched and the whole story (at least up to 28%) was just too much 'then we did this, then we did that'. It leaves nothing to the imagination and was a bit like reading a recipe. I was engaged not at all by the characters and could not have cared less about the plot. Precis is not one of Zeth Ward's weapons. Page after page of needless detailed description about mundanity. Awkward dialogue that did not flow. This seems to be a shame as others who have reviewed this kindle edition book, say good things about it.
Perhaps it's just me.

I have erased it from my Kindle.

2.0 out of 5 stars Complex story with appalling grammar & spelling, 15 Aug 2012
Amazon Customer (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peripheral (Kindle Edition)
I hate giving up on a book and dragged myself through to the end of this story, if only to learn what happened to the various characters. The ending is clearly set up for a sequel, but I am not interested enough in the characters or storyline to consider reading that, and I could not bear to read more of the appalling grammar (repeated use of "of" instead of "have" as in "could of", "your" when it should have been "you are/you're", "where" for "were" and "were" for "we're")and I noted callous was written "callas". I found all of this to be very annoying and distracting from the plot. Added to this, I found it hard sometimes to follow the quite complicated plot when it jumped about from one event to another, and much of the technical detail was way over my head. All-in-all, I would not recommend this book and am glad it did not cost me much financially nor in time taken to read the novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Read!, 16 Jun 2011
Peripheral

I would highly recommend this book to others too good to miss out on. Well done for making my reading enjoyment evolve into another dimension as it carried me along its pathway.

I look forward to see more by this author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yes, unreadable, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Peripheral (Kindle Edition)
Personally I gave up at 3% after being unable to get through a single page without having to re-read paragraphs, the writing is so poor.

To be fair, there seemed to be one or two good ideas in the storyline from the start.

But if people are just trying to be nice to a new author, I politely suggest that better advice would be that Zeth get together with a good (human) editor, to evolve his written English. Even a basic spell check would pick up things like surplus spaces in "Hold on honey, it's OK, I' m here"

To write a review containing comparisons to Dan Brown sounds like a marketing department gone crazy

I will now go away with the disappointing realisation that one must read reviews closely even if "Winner of x, y and z" notices abound in the Kindle store description of a book.

Update: "interesting" that all the positive reviews are from sources that have *only* reviewed this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for the next book, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: Peripheral (Kindle Edition)
Well what can I say apart from Brilliant. The first book and it kept me turning the pages. Was such a good read that I just downloaded it for my mum too. Will be recommending this to friends. Keep me updates on the progress for book no 2 please

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid first effort, a gripping read, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Peripheral (Kindle Edition)
I'd label any book finished with ease an inherently good read. 'Peripheral' is a book I read in three sittings, but had I no things to do I would have finished it in one: it's of a quality that not only justifies the purchase but your time as well.

While there is room for improvement (and perhaps another editor read-through), the story and all it contains is excellent. Dan Brown-esque with a touch of X-Men, the simple cover art and minor league origins promised little but delivered a hell of a lot; the author balances the wide array of characters with considerable ease, flitting between the narrative strings in an encouraging way that has you truly caring a lot for everyone intended, even the late arrivals. The narrative practically defines the word 'thriller': twists, turns, shocks and necessary thrills are ever present throughout.

'Peripheral' goes a few stages further than simply showing writer potential, and it's because of this that the question has to be begged: when's the next book coming out?

4.0 out of 5 stars A review by Free Book Reviews, 14 Oct 2011
Albert Robbins III "Dragon" (Peculiar, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peripheral (Kindle Edition)
Overall Feedback: Overall this one gives the reader a great story for a fair price, but then again we are taking a chance right. Well chance taken will give you reward on this one. You will enjoy the plot twist and hide from the thrill ride. Others compare this to X-Men and Dan Brown but I say Zeth Ward can stand his own ground and one day people will be compared to him.

Point of View: This is where some might fall off the bus as the narrative jumps through many characters.

Voice: The author utilizes his voice to push you through even the hardest parts of the novel to reach the momentum you need to finish.

Character Development: For the most part the characters are developed rather well and become multidimensional but there are later comers.

Plot: Because of the bouncing narrative you may be thrown off but do not despair as you can and will make it and the finish is worth the drudgery.

Dialogue: This is where the characters shine and really draw the story together.

Pacing: Where it not for the pacing of this one you may put it down before half way.

Setting: Perfection

Continuity: This is where the bouncing narrative actually helps. I love when stories take you from character to character and surprise you with the ending. And Zeth does just that. Thanks and can I have another?

Peripheral
Peripheral by Zeth Ward (Paperback - 20 Jun 2011)