5.0 out of 5 stars A must Read
I did not care for the items we had to read at school that is until I came across Siegfried Sassoon. He explains clearly with passion and experance what WAR truely is. In an age of mass media and what appears to be new wars every other day, he so the true cost of war not in pound or dollors.
To read his work even one at two of his poems will show you the horrors of...
Published on 3 Sep 2007 by N. Donagher

3.0 out of 5 stars good for exams(GCSEs)
this book gave an understanding of Sassoon it helped me a lot as i was doing about him for my GSCE coursework, on war poetry
Published on 23 Jan 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A must Read, 3 Sep 2007
N. Donagher (Co. Kildare, Rep of Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War Poems (Paperback)
To read his work even one at two of his poems will show you the horrors of war better than any Hollywood movie.
Reading his work is like talking to the man, and he has given you excess to every private though in him . He is a true great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Many parallels to modern day, 7 Nov 2009
This review is from: The War Poems (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book, despite not generally reading much poetry unless forced. I also liked the footnotes which gave brief autobiographical notes, giving an insight into the timing and mood of the author.

What particulary stood out for me was the parallels to the modern experience of soldiers and attitudes to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not only did the poems tell of the true horrors of war, they also reflected the cold indifference and misunderstanding of civilians back home. My favorite is "Hero" which encapsulates a number of these themes.

I think it a good book - the 4 stars reflects only that, in this genre, I prefer Owen and Brooke.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite War Poet, 29 Dec 2009
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Siegfried Sassoon was a gentleman of leisure who wanted to be a poet, and indeed he did have a limited success before the outbreak of World War 1. It is however his war poetry that made him become noticed and has gained him legions of fans since. Nowadays we are all accustomed to the horrors of war, after all we can see it virtually any day on the news, but back in World War 1 the propaganda machine was in heavy use. The war would all be over by Christmas, we were winning, indeed people may have been led into believing that it was all a slightly dangerous game of football, where you may get killed. Sassoon upset the Establishment by depicting the real horrors of war and they tried to supress what he wrote. Sassoon started out quite optimistic but over the war period he obviously became disillusioned, and you see that subtle shift coming through in what he wrote.

Sassoon was a great friend of Robert Graves, who did have an influence on what Sassoon wrote, rather like how Sassoon had an effect on Wilfred Owen. Although Sassoon wrote in a more traditional style, indeed this is probably better than a more modernist approach and is more powerful when it comes to war he did have an influence on the Modernist Movement in that he described the gritty and hard truth.

To me Sassoon brings the life in the trenches to life, and he writes to the common man, no arty-farty nonsense here. He writes what we can all feel and understand and to my mind is a great help if you are studying that period in history. And lest we forget, the man was a hero himself, after all he was awarded the Military Cross. So, even if you don't normally read poetry but are interested in the First World War then I would strongly urge you to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth about war, 8 April 2011
J. Rae-smith "milknosugar" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War Poems (Paperback)
It maybe that there are better WW1 poets, but Sassoon is for me the most modern, the one who speaks most clearly to us. His poems are more direct, less "poetic" than those of his contemporaries, and his blistering anger controlled by a caustic wit cuts right through the manners of his age to the human truth of war. He was a man full of contradictions a war hero who became a pacifist, a deeply religious man, and a homosexual, a literary man who was also a keen sportsman, and some of the internal conflicts these caused are reflected in the poetry here, but in short for me he makes the reality of WW1 more vivid than any other poet. Terrific stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars the war poems, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: The War Poems (Paperback)
the horrors of ww1 as seen thru the poems of siegfried sassoon. also recommended for reading are the poems of wilfred owen.

5.0 out of 5 stars sassoon is a great poet., 8 July 2014
What can one say...sassoon is a great poet .

5.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite, 30 May 2014
This review is from: The War Poems of Siegfried Sassoon (Paperback)
Bought to replace my copy that was over 30 years old and falling apart, much loved and read a lovely bedtime read

5.0 out of 5 stars his thoughts while in WWI, 22 May 2014
At that . moment when war raged around him, Sassoon wrote poems which bring it close to us. A good opportunity to remind
ourselves of how ghastly it was. Along with the poems of Wilfrid Owen, we step briefly into the squelchy mud and horrific sights,
breathe the gas and hope to survive...

5.0 out of 5 stars so poignant, 10 May 2014
I could not stop reading and re-reading these poems. some with tears. I shall treasure this little book and pass it on to my children..

4.0 out of 5 stars War Poetry, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The War Poems of Siegfried Sassoon (Paperback)
This was bought to replace a book that had become lost. I am very pleased to have a copy again.

The War Poems of Siegfried Sassoon
The War Poems of Siegfried Sassoon by Siegfried Sassoon (Paperback - 1 Jun 2011)
4.92