5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Read A+++++
90 Miles to Freedom

Take one run of the mill, happy go lucky set of parents. A teenage son called Joey about to graduate, an elder son Collin with a dark secret. A car explosion and this sets the scene for 90 Miles to Freedom.
Published on 2 Mar. 2012 by teresa geering

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?
Published on 14 May 2012 by Suze

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?, 14 May 2012
Suze (Tyne & Wear) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this book when it was free as the synopsis made it sound very interesting and it had so many good reviews that it seemed foolish not to get it. I began reading with high hopes of an exciting and enjoyable read, but I confess that my hopes were dashed quite quickly and this is one of the very few books I have been unable to finish. I hate giving up on a book, but when reading becomes a source of irritation rather than pleasure I feel that I have no option but to stop. I managed to read 25%, but that was all.

The author is obviously an able writer, but he or she really needed a good editor to sort out the beginning. I gathered that one of the themes of the book was that something very odd/bad/horrendous had happened to an ordinary, loving family, but that's where the problems began for me. The reader is told over and over how happy and loving this family is - it's not so much setting the scene as overkill! We were told that the Mom loves the Dad; the Dad loves the Mom; they love each other; the Mom loves her son; the son loves his Mom; the Dad loves his son . . . etc. etc.

I really wanted to get into the main story, but even after the first scary incident we were told that one brother hugged the other brother in love and all I could think was "not again!" I really began to wonder if I was reading some right-wing pro-family propaganda at times - which is perhaps unfair, but it was really irritating me.

After I stopped reading, I considered going back to it to see if I felt differently, but, really, I couldn't bear the thought of all that again. With all of these very good reviews, there surely must be a cracking story somewhere in this book, but sadly for me, it was too much of a struggle to reach it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Read A+++++, 2 Mar. 2012
90 Miles to Freedom

An emotional story which had me in tears in some parts, angry in others and laughing when I least expected it. It tells of the survival of the family, and the trafficking of Cubans to America which is where the title begins to become obvious. I don't want to give too much of the story away but look out for a very surprising ending which had me double guessing for a while.
K C Hilton is a very powerful, exceptional writer. 90 Miles to Freedom held me riveted and I would certainly recommend this without any hesitation.
If you love all things magic I would also recommend her novel The Magic of Fingleton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read A+++, 16 July 2011
Check this book out. It's a great read. Just as the description states, it's an emotional roller coaster. This is a very well written book that pulls you in from the start and is full of twists that keep you guessing. It's hard to put down because you can't wait to see what happens next. It's a normal happy family one day, then everything quickly turns upside down. It kept me thinking the entire time and the events have Joey and Collin struggling. I won't go in to detail to spoil anything. You will have to get the book and read for yourself. GREAT BOOK A+++++

3.0 out of 5 stars Twists and Turns, 3 July 2012
Great character development with plenty of twists and turns. However, the writing was a little simple and I didn't like the ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama and Suspense, 20 July 2011
How many families are without drama? How many have secrets? Collin's secret was a surprise. I've never read anything about human trafficking before, it was unexpected and very good. Although Collin was on the good side and doing a good thing, the opposing side didn't like it too much. And this 'My Friend' creates a conflict and puts his family and life in danger. I liked the plot and the twist. It kept me guessing until the very end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 20 July 2011
The Scott's were a close family and funny. Collin's parents, George and Betty, were my favorite and they were what made parts of the story fun. My feelings were tossed back and forth throughout the book. One minute I was laughing, the next I was upset. At one point I was even angry! One secret can tear a family apart. The same secret can make you a better person. I enjoyed reading this book and couldn't put it down. It caught me off gaurd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grabbed My Heart, 16 July 2011
I loved the family dynamic. And the twists and turns that this books takes. I experienced several different emotions reading this book. I would have given it a 5 star but I was a little put-out because of MORGAN! I'm a romantic at heart and I wanted MORE of Morgan and Collin. I want to know what happened after the phone call! I know it was meant to leave the reader to draw their own conclusions... But darn! It really grabbed my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 13 May 2013
I only down loaded this just because it was either a freebie or 99p offer on Kindle. It was an amazingly shockingly good read. Not what I expected at all. From the first few pages you will be gripped.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, not-so-good ending, 4 Oct. 2012
Paul (Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
This book is quite an interesting read, telling the story of two brothers following the death of their parents.

The characters are well-written and the story is never boring.

Such a shame though that the ending isn't up to the quality of the rest of the story.

Although it is quite a short book it may well be a good one to read on holiday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read., 4 Sept. 2012
George and Betty Scott were living the dream with their two adult sons, Collin and Joey, just outside Key West, Florida. Technically Collin had "moved out" to live and work on a large fishing vessel that he had bought, but which was conveniently moored outside their property and therefore still "attached" to home. As a united family they rejoiced in their love and respect for each other. However, on the day of Joey's eagerly anticipated graduation, tragedy shatters this idyllic existence and life for Collin will never be the same again. He subsequently blames himself for the accident and retreats into himself, causing concern and eventually consternation for his younger brother, Joey, and fiancee, Morgan. Unbeknown to his family, Collin had led a secret life and built up a working relationship and strong friendship with a Cuban, Adelio, with whom he used to rendezvous out at sea. This liaison is to cost him dear, as Collin later discovers, and he finds himself fighting for his life and that of his younger brother as he realises that all his good intentions have only served to bring down disaster upon those closest to him. If only Collin could have done things differently, if only he could be given a second chance.....
I did enjoy this book, although I agree that the lovey-dovey aspect of Betty and George's relationship was a trifle overdone! The characters however were credible and well-developed and with the attention to detail and clear descriptive narrative I was made to feel part of this close-knit family. The plot was entertaining and the ending unexpected! All in all, a good read - even better that is was free!

90 Miles To Freedom
90 Miles To Freedom by KC Hilton (Paperback - 16 July 2011)
Used & New from: £17.87