Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 May 2015
This was terrible. The writer had no understanding of English grammar/syntax and couldn't construct a correct sentence of "if she had known then she would have..." which was incredibly frustrating. Other examples of incorrect usage were scattered throughout the book, which made the reading extremely annoying. As for the plot, it was trite and the ending was obvious from the start. Characterisation was poor and I felt no sympathy at all for the main character (heroine? don't think so!). Luckily it was free otherwise I would have demanded my money back. Do these authors ever get their work proof read by someone who knows what they are doing?
on 4 November 2013
I'm about a quarter of the way through and am yet to feel anything for any of the characters. They're all two-dimensional chick-lit stereotypes and are more irritating than anything else. The worst part of the book, though, is that the main character keeps referring to the fact that she was 'slutty' (which seems to mean she drank and flirted a lot) until she met her boyfriend and saw the light because he saw through her front to the real her. She doesn't need to sleep around because she's great as she is! I actually rolled my eyes at this part. The author brilliantly manages to get slut-shaming in AND remind us that we all need a man to look after us. Just what we want from a female author in a book about three women!

Terrible, don't buy it.
on 14 February 2012
I rarely feel compelled to review books on Amazon, but in light of the mainly 5-star reviews for Three Girls and a Baby I felt the need to add a counter-opinion.

I wasn't expecting a story with great depth - I enjoy "chick-lit" as light reading and escapism, but this was beyond "light". The plot was paper thin and seemed rushed. It had no substance whatsoever. I wasn't expecting any in-depth analysis of the protagonist's circumstances (an unplanned pregnancy with an ex-partner), in a piece of light fiction, but some analysis might have been appropriate considering the gravity of the situation! We are repeatedly told the character is in a stressful situation, but never shown by way of description of any substance. The characters are poorly-developed versions of standard chick-flick characters and are for the most part impossible to relate to because they are so one-dimensional. It was like reading a first attempt at low-grade women's fiction written as part of a creative writing class. It is a book in the sense that it is grammatically correct sentences on a page, but it has a hollowness to it. Scratch the surface and there is a whole lot of nothing. I often feel that "chick-lit" is unfairly judged as superficial fluff, and I suspect that it is books like this that give the genre a bad name.

Perhaps I've just been spoiled by the excellent characters and complex plots created by the likes of Marian Keyes and her peers and expect too much. I wholeheartedly recommend NOT purchasing this book. It possibly isn't the worst thing you'll ever read, and the plot idea could have been entertaining if well executed, but ultimately I am baffled by the five-star reviews here. I'll read pretty much anything, never struggle to finish a book and rarely part with books after reading them in case I have the urge to re-read. This, however, is the only book I have ever deleted from my Kindle.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2012
Really enjoyed this book. Lots of fun to read but easy at the same time! Good for holidays or leisure! Perfect chick book!
on 5 February 2012
I absolutely LOVED this book. The characters were very relatable and it was very well written. I will be downloading the other books in this series and will be reading them on my holidays (if I can wait that long!). I would really recommend this to anyone who loves books from authors such as Sophie Kinsella and Cecelia Ahern.
on 16 December 2013
Story about unplanned pregnancy, solid friendships and meddling families. All intriguing and for free what's not to like. Also liked the fact that our heroine didn't just fall into marriage with the love of her life when he came back and back history was explained and understood but was determined to do what was right for her and her baby.
on 2 December 2014
I enjoyed this book; it is about a journey of self-discovery, friendship, love, and, of course, motherhood.
I didn't much like Ginny at the beginning of the book, but she grew on me as she grew herself during the book.
The story is well structured, in the beginning it keeps you interested because you want to know what happened between Ginny and Josh, and then you want to know how it will end.
I had guessed the main coup de théâtre... but hey, I like it when I get it right.
The only thing I didn't dig was the great gorgeous bachelor falling for the pregnant girl...
on 30 November 2015
I absolutely loved reading Three Girls and a Baby, not only for it's humorous insight into an expecting mother, but the bond that Ginny, Annie and Jen shared. It's a beautiful, heart-warming story about friendship and sticking together when times get rough, and I adored it.

Written in first person, we're given Ginny's view point, which is fantastic. We get to know all her thoughts and feelings whilst she's pregnant, every single emotion that overwhelms her, and even bits and pieces from her past, including how she met Josh, Jen and Annie. If you've never been pregnant, you'll probably find all the bits about Ginny's pregnancy really intriguing, and even if you have, it's incredibly enjoyable to read about. The author, Rachel Schurig, added tons of humor to the story and to the conversations that took place between the three girls.

Another element that makes this such an enjoyable read is the way it bounces between the past and present. I've always loved experiencing flashbacks in a story, as long as it doesn't get too messy, because then I end up confused about where I am in the story, but Rachel Schurig does this perfectly. It's always fun getting to know a character's past, it gives the reader an insight into the character's life and makes you feel like you know them just that little bit better. Another BEAUTIFUL little extra that the author adds in is at the beginning of the chapters that are based in the present. There's a small extract from A Gal's Guide to a Fabulous First Pregnancy, which tells the reader how many weeks pregnant Ginny is, and also gives lots of little tips about how to prepare and what stage of development the baby is at. This is so fun to read, it's almost like Ginny has signed up to a pregnancy newsletter or email. It also keeps the reader up to date with Ginny's pregnancy, and I think it really adds a dusting of reality to the story as well. As humorous as it is, Ginny is pregnant, and it's a big step for any young woman to take. It feels like you're preparing along with her!

Three Girls and a Baby is a fabulous story, so full of love and friendship it's almost cheesy, but then it's so endearing you just don't care about the cheesiness of it. Girls, you HAVE to read this novel.

Overall, I feel this story deserves a rating of 4/5!
I LOVED IT!
on 9 December 2013
I originally got this book because of the title. I t reminded me of one of my favourite films “Three men and a Baby”. It is very similar to this film but different enough to not be classed as a copy cat. I had never heard of Rachel Schurig before and this was recommended by Kindle. It’s a first in a series, followed by three other “Three girls and a…” books. I have now read all four and they all follow the same main three characters (which later turns to four). Shows this must have been an ok read to want to follow the girls through their lives.

Plot

We meet Ginny, Annie and Jen. Three house mates who have been friends since high school, finished college and moved in together after. Ginny and her high school boyfriend have been split up for a few months and Ginny can see her friends are getting tired of her constant moping. She has a job as an au-pair for a rich family, a little below her English degree intelligence. One night her ex comes back into her life and a quick night of remembrance occurs. Ginny asks Josh to stay away for a while as she needs to get her head screwed back on after their break up. However, that one night has changed everything for Ginny. She is now pregnant and with the help of her best friends she embarks on a journey of love, life and laughter.

Opinion

This is a great book. It had some real laugh out loud moments and great wit about it. It won’t win any writing awards but that’s not what this book is about. It is a book written by a woman, about women, for women. The humour, content and friendships are all “girlie” and as such I doubt any male would understand it or find it funny. Each character reminds you of one of your best-friends and the situations that arise can be placed easily into your own. Schurig has created a world that we could all potentially live in and it is this one fact that makes this book one of the best ‘chick flicks’ I have read in a while.

Great storyline, great characters and you will find great heart within the pages. my verdict 8/10. A great bedside read.
on 18 January 2012
Really enjoed the book. I mostly read on a tube on my way to and from work and must say nearly missed my stop few times:) Read it within few day. Definately would recommend