Format: PaperbackChange

on 30 July 2013
My second read of Wright's work and I'm really starting to enjoy this author. A very British writer and it makes a great change to read of scenarios I can relate to rather than American settings I know little about. The pub setting helped me settle straight into the story. While there were a few Americanisms in there which were a tad annoying, I must respond to the claim that "Mom" is not a British word. It is a quite normal way of referring to "mother" in the West Midlands, and I believe further oop north too.
on 12 August 2014
A good book but I found it a little slow in places. It was well written with good characterization and the author gives you a real feel for the world and the people in it. Without giving away the plot it is hard to review this book, so here goes without spoilers.

It is snowing in every country of the world,snow so bad that it is a killer in itself. The story follows a group of people stuck in an English pub and the secrets that they keep. Our hero is a mild mannered drunk that everyone thinks is a loser not knowing that his wife and child died in a car accident and he too has lost the will to live.

Running low on fuel the occupants must leave the pub to find more and they meet up with creatures in the snow and the occupants of a store and video store. Not everyone makes it. As the night wares on a stranger walks into the pub and something about him is not right, he knows too much and as bodies start to ramp up could he be snake in the nest?

The book is partly about redemption and how a crises can affect different people. There are those who rise to the occasion, those who sit and moan and those who use it to their own nefarious purposes.

This apocalyptic story takes you to the end of the world and back again and includes a nice amount of blood and gore that I believe is essential in a true horror novel.

The ending of the book took me by surprise and I enjoyed it immensely. On the whole this is a good read, a little slow for my liking but I will definitely read more from Iain Rob Wright.

Caroline Gebbie Author of Flee an Occult Horror
on 22 December 2012

Firstly, I must state that I read this book because it was on the Freebie list for Kindle. I realise this was probably without the author's agreement, as I've heard from a writer friend that Amazon tend to do this without consultation.

So, to the book......I liked the premise, storyline and the characters. I didn't foresee the identities of certain characters which is always good, and I wasn't disappointed when those reveals came about. However, like some other reviewers on here, what I didn't like were the Americanisms, especially the use of the word "gotten". I am aware that I'm being just a tad picky here, but the word makes me cringe. I have been known to convert e-books into Word just so I can change every occurrence. Obsessive? Yes, perhaps :-)

There seemed to be the occasional issue with continuity, but having written a book myself (not brave enough to publish though!) I know that this can be easily missed even with proofreading. The part I refer to concerns the character Nigel, who mentions a couple of times that he will get into his lorry and drive far away the next morning. Has he forgotten that the main roads are all shut due to the snow, or is this just something that he does not consider? Is it simply a "nothing will stop me now" moment in the mind of a psychopath?

The portrayal of the Angels as beautiful but vengeful was nicely refreshing. Archangel Michael is without a doubt not someone anyone should wish to irritate, as Kathleen found out, and not before time. I loved the "shout out" to Richard Laymon. I noted the references to Stephen King and Clive Barker too, but you know you're dealing with a proper horror fan when you see Richard's name mentioned, as he's not all that well known outside the genre.

On the whole, I found the book very enjoyable and I read it in one evening. I would be interested in reading other novels by the same author.
on 22 December 2012
I never know what to expect when I read a novel by an indie author on my kindle as I've probably read more bad than good unfortunately. I'm pleased to say that this one by Iain Rob Wright was one of the good ones and if I could I would rate it at 3.5 stars (I'm quite strict on the number of stars I give out and didn't think it was quite up to a 4). It was well written and the story kept me gripped all the way through, I have to admit that I found the ending of the novel a little disappointing when I read it but after spending some time thinking about it it did work well and my initial reaction was harsh. The fact that I'm still thinking about what happened in the book almost 10 hours after I'd finished is a good sign for me.

I also have Sea Sick by this author and look forward to reading it soon.
on 11 April 2013
THis is an excellent read i found it entirely engrossing as the characters came together,set against a background of a snow storm that went on forever and a group of people barricaded in the local pub. I was surprised how it all ended as i did not expect it to turn out like it did and im still not sure if i liked it,perhaps because i was thinking all the way through that this was a case of climate change and global warming and the whole of the earths weather system turned on its head,so there is a surprising twist to the end of the book. I like this writers style it is easy reading and quite fast paced. i have read ASBO and i have SEA-SICK waiting to be read which i look forward to, I have every confidence Iain Rob Wright will come up with the goods again and i think i can regard myself as a fan.
on 29 December 2012
Although this started slowly and was a little confusing at the beginning, it was strong enough to make me want to continue. As the story unfolds, details that might easily be caricatured (the hooded figure, no spoiler here) are carried with a quiet dignity that suits the subject. Although a heavily moralistic tale that will not suit everyone, sometimes it is comforting to see comeuppances: We all know somebody in our lives that never seems to reap the consequences of their actions.

Set mostly in a ratty old English pub on a run down estate, a massive worldwide snowstorm disrupts the lives of the principal characters, and as they attempt to keep warm in sub-zero temperatures, the main protagonists stories are unravelled.

A cosy, ripping yarn.
on 12 January 2013
I got this purely as something to try out on my new Kindle fire HD that my partner bought me for Christmas, to say I was "Pleasantly surprised" would be an understatement.

I've only recently got back into reading and being a past fan of authors such as James Herbert, Dean Koontz (Why DID he drop the R?) and Stephen King I was unsure of this (To me at least) unknown author?

I need not have worried what followed was an excellent, well written story with more twists and surprises than I'd expected, and as another reviewer has already said would make an excellent movie!

Well worth the small asking price!
on 17 July 2013
I was lucky enough to download this as a freebie having recently discovered Iain Rob Wright after the online kindle book group I am a member of chose one of his books as their monthly book choice and I am glad they did. I love horror books and Iain's books are fantastic.
Across the world, in every country it's snowing at the exact same time and it doesn't look like stopping anytime soon. A group of pub regulars aren't bothered about being snowed in at their local pub but they should be as strange events begin to happen. Is this the end of the world or just a freak snowstorm? They are about to find out.....
on 2 April 2013
I didn't know what to expect from this book; I'd never heard of the author before but the reviews seemed quite good.
I was really pleasantly surprised and Mr I.R.Wright has a new fan. The book is an easy read and all the way through, I thought I knew exactly what was going on and how it was going to pan out. Did I get it wrong!. Completely. There's a twist - and I'm not telling. For me, this book was hard to put down. I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't turn the pages fast enough, (even when I thought I had it all worked out). A Brilliant read and one I would definitely RECOMMEND.
on 3 October 2012
I'd almost given up looking for a successor to James Herbert and Guy N Smith.
In the UK, horror is a moribund genre. Outside of Stephen King and Dean Koontz publishers just won't take a chance of tales of terror any more.
I'm old enough to remember when every newsagent had a revolving rack just packed with interesting-looking paperbacks with titles like Bloodworm, The Sucking Pit, The Festering etc.
To be honest, most of them were pretty shoddy - just 120 pages of gruesome deaths, cardboard characters and illogical plots - but they were fun to read all the same. They were my original guilty pleasures.
Some of these authors did manage to breakout - the top three being Herbert, Smith and, a little later, Hutson.
These three are still publishing but the others - Halkin, Brosnan, James and Tremayne to name just a few - have all gone.
Thank goodness, then, for the Kindle publishing deal which allows authors like Iain Rob Wright to reach an appreciative audience.
I've already read ASBO, a brutal homage to Straw Dogs, but that book is a horror story that's grounded in fact.
The Last Winter is a throwback to those halcyon days of the 1970s when pulp horror fiction often mixed with the disaster movie.
Snow has started falling - but this is no ordinary winter. For a start, the snow is falling all over the world at the same time. Even Africa and the Middle East are covered in a freezing white blanket.
In Britain the country's infrastructure is struggling to cope. The power is off, hospitals are closed, the emergency services are swamped and people are frightened.
They are frightened because there's more to fear than the snow. The howling winds and blizzards have brought something to earth - something that could be the final reckoning...
To add any more would be to spoil the plot. The Final Winter races along at a breakneck pace as the bodies pile up faster than the snow outside.
Wright's characters are nicely sketched (not always the case with this kind of novel. Readers who enjoyed ASBO will recognise one of the main protagonists.
A note too about the quality of the proof reading. Other than a couple of literals, The Last Winter is a thoroughly professional job.
If you are a fan of pulp horror, then anything by Ian Rob Wright should be on your "must read" list. Excellent stuff.