5.0 out of 5 stars Medieval Morality Play within Apocalyptic Terror
Review of The Final Winter by Iain Rob Wright
5 stars

This has to be one of the scariest apocalyptic novels I have ever encountered--one of the most terrifying of any genre. Reading this on New Year's Eve may not have been my smartest move; granted, I am not surrounded by incessant snowfall--but the sheer implacability of the terrors in this novel...
Published 24 months ago by Mallory Anne-Marie Forbes Haws

3.0 out of 5 stars Likeable.
Published 15 months ago by L. Hamill

5.0 out of 5 stars Medieval Morality Play within Apocalyptic Terror, 1 Jan 2013
Review of The Final Winter by Iain Rob Wright
5 stars

This has to be one of the scariest apocalyptic novels I have ever encountered--one of the most terrifying of any genre. Reading this on New Year's Eve may not have been my smartest move; granted, I am not surrounded by incessant snowfall--but the sheer implacability of the terrors in this novel!!

I cannot get this story out of my mind: it's not just "apocalyptic horror." "The Final Winter" is a medieval Morality play come to life: such depths and convolutions that I could never have imagined any of its content. It begins with heavy snowfall--literally, everywhere--so of course I thought, "global warming, climate change." But that was so not the answer. Then comes the terror--and more terror--and then the truth begins to expose itself. THEN, the climax after the denouement! Incredible! I've so enjoyed several of the horror stories of author Iain Rob Wright, but now this one--this is in a category all its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 30 July 2013
My second read of Wright's work and I'm really starting to enjoy this author. A very British writer and it makes a great change to read of scenarios I can relate to rather than American settings I know little about. The pub setting helped me settle straight into the story. While there were a few Americanisms in there which were a tad annoying, I must respond to the claim that "Mom" is not a British word. It is a quite normal way of referring to "mother" in the West Midlands, and I believe further oop north too.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Apocalyptic Horror, 12 Aug 2014
A good book but I found it a little slow in places. It was well written with good characterization and the author gives you a real feel for the world and the people in it. Without giving away the plot it is hard to review this book, so here goes without spoilers.

It is snowing in every country of the world,snow so bad that it is a killer in itself. The story follows a group of people stuck in an English pub and the secrets that they keep. Our hero is a mild mannered drunk that everyone thinks is a loser not knowing that his wife and child died in a car accident and he too has lost the will to live.

Running low on fuel the occupants must leave the pub to find more and they meet up with creatures in the snow and the occupants of a store and video store. Not everyone makes it. As the night wares on a stranger walks into the pub and something about him is not right, he knows too much and as bodies start to ramp up could he be snake in the nest?

The book is partly about redemption and how a crises can affect different people. There are those who rise to the occasion, those who sit and moan and those who use it to their own nefarious purposes.

This apocalyptic story takes you to the end of the world and back again and includes a nice amount of blood and gore that I believe is essential in a true horror novel.

The ending of the book took me by surprise and I enjoyed it immensely. On the whole this is a good read, a little slow for my liking but I will definitely read more from Iain Rob Wright.

Caroline Gebbie Author of Flee an Occult Horror

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique fast paced apocalyptic read with an incredible twist!, 12 Dec 2014
This is the 4th book Ive read from Iain Rob Wright now and Im completely hooked on his style of compelling horror writing. I didn't know what to expect with The last Winter as the blurb doesn't give much away which made it even more intriguing...was it going to be a murder mystery, paranormal, sci-fi, we don't know till approx a third into the book and even then were not entirely sure what happening.
This for me kept me on the edge of my seat and made this "chilling" (Pun intended) heart pounding read.
Again with all Iain's characters they are recognizable as people you can relate to; whether you like them or not. I found myself relating to a few of the characters; be it completely hating a few or completely rooting for another.
I loved how we meet the characters Damian and Harry for the first time from the book Savage and get to know a bit more about their backgrounds.

This is a completely unique read Ive never read a horror like it; as we meet the characters working in a supermarket, video shop and a public house called The Trumpet; so to say they all eventually endup at this very British pub as the plot gets stranger and stranger...no really it does!
The Winter cold and snowfall gets worse and colder and the freak extreme weather is freezing around them but what is causing this; it seems to be based around just one of the characters but a few of the characters are not who they seem either.
This read has quite a few facets to it with the temperature dropping dangerously fast, visibility next to nothing and no hope of rescue; your not entirely sure where its going...genius!
This is a fantastic character driven plotline; I honestly cant tell you much as its one of those books that I will give too much away and I hate spoilers; other than it could be the end of the world by freezing, murder, fire, disintegration or just simply the end....are heaven and hell working together. This was yet another amazing compelling read from Iain; his writing vivid and spine-tingling with a good amount of gore for those that love the more bloody horror.
Its a fast paced apocalyptic even with an incredible twist!

Plus dont forget you also get another fab read as a extra bonus stand alone publication The Peeling of Samual Lloyd Collins.

*I was kindly sent a copy for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Final Winter, 23 Oct 2014
Another good read from Iain Rob Wright, with characters you will meet again, or in my case have already met as I've read this 'series' of books out of order!! It can easily be read as a stand alone novel however.

It was nice to finally meet Harry properly, after hearing him mentioned in the other novels, I wish there had been more about him in the final 10% rather than the short story, Jack, which I felt was pretty pointless and didn't add any value to the overall novel. Still, a very decent read in my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Likeable., 25 Sep 2013
L. Hamill (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Like some reviewers here I thought that the story took a few chapters to get going. Perhaps a little more OOMPH from the start would have been better. Some of the reviews on here (1 star) do take the biscuit though,...worst book I've ever read...would have given it no stars...blah blah. Well I for one have read incredible tripe from so called well known authors, give the guy a break. Enjoyed the story and good set of characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 18 Aug 2013
Another great read from Iain Rob Wright - once I start one of his books I can't stop until I've finished!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it...., 17 July 2013
Rebecca Thompson (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
I was lucky enough to download this as a freebie having recently discovered Iain Rob Wright after the online kindle book group I am a member of chose one of his books as their monthly book choice and I am glad they did. I love horror books and Iain's books are fantastic.
Across the world, in every country it's snowing at the exact same time and it doesn't look like stopping anytime soon. A group of pub regulars aren't bothered about being snowed in at their local pub but they should be as strange events begin to happen. Is this the end of the world or just a freak snowstorm? They are about to find out.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Snow, Snow, Thick Thick Snow !!!!, 9 July 2013
A thoroughly enjoyable read. I had never heard of this author before ....but he definitely has a bright future if this book is anything to go by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Off the wall but loved it., 5 Jun 2013
A quick read.

The characters were well defined and there good twists and shocks in the plot.

Had a surreal storyline with a satisfying ending.

The Final Winter
The Final Winter by Iain Rob Wright (Paperback - 24 May 2011)