4.0 out of 5 stars Maverick
First off I stayed up way too late last night finishing this book, so if my review is a little shaky, it's because I'm tired today.

Published on 17 Jun 2011 by NYM

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but very slow-paced
Published 22 months ago by Easharani

4.0 out of 5 stars Maverick, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Maverick (Kindle Edition)

Maverick, by Greg Curtis, follows the life of an outcast wizard. 10 years after being banished from the Guild, war comes to Marjan's home. Having lived alone in the woods for the past decade, Marjan is drawn into the battles when a child from his hometown shows up on his doorstep pursued by evil beasts. The story then follows Marjan as he is pulled deeper and deeper into the battle and lives of those he saved.

Greg Curtis has a natural gift in his ability to create a scene. His attention to detail is wonderful and I felt like I was standing right there with the characters. I also really enjoyed the spells, magic and creatures used throughout the novel. His character development for Marjan was superb, though I would have liked him to flesh out some of the other characters a little more, not necessarily because they were weak, but because I really wanted to know more.

That said, some readers may be distracted by occasional editing problems. They were infrequent enough that it didn't bother me, but I tend to be forgiving when the story really grabs me.

Well worth the read in my opinion and I'd love to see a prequel to Maverick. He's created some wonderful characters and I'd love to read more about them.

Overall, I give Maverick a 3.75 star, but I'll round it to 4 as we can't do partials here.

Thanks for the story Mr. Curtis!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Yarn, 9 May 2011
L. G. Curtis (Wellington n/a New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maverick (Kindle Edition)
This was a really enjoyable read. We meet Marjan, our flawed hero, 10 years after he has been exiled from the Wizards Guild as a result of his having killed another in a wizard's dual. As usual with these things there are some extenuating circumstances but Marjan impresses most as having the guts to accept that what he has done was wrong, even though others might seek to excuse what happened.

The story kicks off with a child running towards his house in the woods pursued by a number of dire wolves. So he rescues the child - finds out that she is seeking help for a further 6 young students and injured teacher who are trapped up in a cave. He then rescues them and they set off for a safer destination to get away from the hordes of beasts that have been infected by some sort of supernatural evil entities who are killing everything in their wake without apparent rhyme or reason. The group journey to Evensong (an elven forest town). AFter that I had expected it to be a sort of war epic as Marjan and some other mighty heros trek off to find some great artifact to save them in the war etc in the usual Fantasy tradition. However instead this story concentrates away from the centre of the war - if indeed there is one - and focuses on Marjan and his development into a Mage defender. REgardless there are oodles of battles with various beasts, each larger and more imaginative then the previous. I particularly enjoyed the spells he casts on his arrows (as well as a wizard he has lived as a woodsman remember) to give them more power - the novel has clearly been influenced by a large number of role playing computer games, however in a very good way. The novel does come to a satisfactory conclusion with the end of the battle and overall I really enjoyed the story although I think it could have been edited down a bit.

The language at times suffers from a few too long sentences - some of which seem to lose their way half way through, but this only happens occassionally and is not a major distraction. I would have liked to see greater character development, not only with the lead female, but also the Master Wizard Silas and perhaps a bit more rounding out of the children. A bit more dialogue would also help. Marjan too seems a bit socially awkward given his age (28) but I guess this is explained by the fact that he has lived as a recluse for the last 10 years. Still I look forward to reading the next book.
I would definitely recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but very slow-paced, 1 Jun 2012
This review is from: Maverick (Kindle Edition)
Nice to read a new author who takes care with crafting the language. The story revolves around the making of a battle mage, who is convincingly heroic despite, or perhaps because of, his unintentional killing of a hated bully when he was young.Unfortunately the descriptions of house renovation are unbearably tedious, as is the constant repetition of ideas and information. This could have been rather an enchanting story, had the pace not been so stiflingly slow.I gave up reading it about half-way through the book.

ARRAY(0xa6bf96b4)

Maverick
Maverick by Mr Greg M Curtis (Paperback - 16 Mar 2013)
12.00