5.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Divide
Published on 3 Dec. 2012 by Ken Brimhall

Published 9 months ago by alison anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Divide, 3 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The People In Between: A Cyprus Odyssey (Paperback)
Vietnam was divided, Korea still is, but who remembers Cyprus? That was one of the reasons I chose to read Gregory Lamb's The People In Between: A Cyprus Odyssey. Cyprus is a divided country, and the people who have suffered most are the people in between, the Greek and Turkish Cypriots. Through the lives of one American-Cypriot family we get a riveting story of outside interference, of foreign countries messing with Cyprus's sovereignty. Accepting her brother Nils' invitation to tend an artist's shop, Kiraz "Nora" Johansson goes to Cyprus, where she meets Cypriot Aydin Kostas, and visits places her American military father and Cypriot mother visited when they courted thirty years before. The tragic, recent history of Cyprus comes alive, a rare and beautiful country. Nora and Aydin fall in love and search for Nora's aunt who was separated from her mother in the turmoil following independence. Brother Nils and Father Sven play important parts in the series of wanderings and adventures in Cyprus, France and the United States. Mother Hanife can't for she has died in childbirth. This fast moving account of the loves, setbacks and sacrifices of one military family will keep you glued to the pages and show you what our people in uniform are made of.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... holiday in Northern Cyprus so I could get a better understanding of the country and her troubles, 14 Aug. 2014
I read this whilst on holiday in Northern Cyprus so I could get a better understanding of the country and her troubles. The book was a good holiday read although I would not have enjoyed it otherwise. I found it hard to warm to the main character Nora. When I went to visit the ghost town I knew how this had come about from the book which helped give an understanding. I felt at the end I did not feel satisfied that the troubles in the 70s where put across, which is why I chose the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good read but the characters were a little wooden and ..., 26 Aug. 2014
Really good read but the characters were a little wooden and didn't quite come alive, for me.. The story itself is well worth the read if you want to know another angle to the Cyprus conflict. It has made me consider spending a little time in the North if only to meet and chat to the Turkish Cypriots about their views.

5.0 out of 5 stars The people inbetween, 14 Aug. 2014
I loved this book. I enjoyed reading about my favourite island and although I know both sides of Cyprus very well, I still learned a lot of new facts. I would have liked more details about the lives of the two young girls after 1974' but realise that in a romantic novel the background must be broad brushstrokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Warming, 1 Mar. 2014
It isn’t very often when I let myself get drawn into a novel the way that I did with Lamb’s debut novel, The People In Between: A Cyprus Odyssey. The characters are all wonderfully developed and evoked my curiosity about the history of Cyprus and the people that have struggled with their national identity. Mr. Lamb has a talent for place descriptions and setting. This is a story that must have come from a deep place. Anyone interested in learning a bit of history the easy way would enjoy reading this novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, quite enjoyable, 18 July 2013
A kind if romantic account if the Cyprus Problem. A bit to mushy for my taste but still a reasonable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 31 Aug. 2012
This is a well written story that highlights what happens when countries fight - especially to the 'people in between'. In the search for power, doctored by a myriad of misconceptions and misunderstandings, the tenacity of politics and the struggle for who is right, the 'ordinary' people are left behind to pick up the pieces and, to me, become extraordinary.

The main characters in this book are believable and bring the reader into the very personal way in which 'war' affects every generation.

I don't give spoilers, but I will say that some of my favourite parts of the story were the descriptions of Cyprus - its beauty and serenity and, of course, the friendliness of its people. Warm and welcoming, it is sad that those in search of power only succeed in tearing families apart and destroying the very country in which they want for their own.

This story has heart, however, and I enjoyed it, not least for its difference from and superiority over those on the supermarket shelves.

The People In Between: A Cyprus Odyssey
The People In Between: A Cyprus Odyssey by Gregory S. Lamb (Paperback - 18 Jun. 2012)