5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!
I found this guide to the first eight seasons of Stargate SG1 to be wonderfully informative and great fun to read to boot.
The book includes sections on the cast, many photos liberally scattered throughout the book, a list of websites to visit, and most importantly, a fantastic episode guide.
What makes it so special is that the guide doesn't just summarize...
Published on 10 Feb. 2006 by zeb21

3.0 out of 5 stars Well... It looked promising...
I bought this, started reading it and got fed up quite quickly with it.

Published on 11 Jan. 2007 by Anny Théberge

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, 10 Feb. 2006
What makes it so special is that the guide doesn't just summarize the episode, it explains the myths behind the stories, expands a bit on the scientific/technical details and helps keep the monsters straight in "Gods and scientists". On a less serious note, the author has chosen a funny quote from each episode ("Parlez-vous Gate?"), as well as mentioning an aspect that was particularly enjoyable - "Why we're space monkeys"... The author's enthusiasm for her subject comes through loud and clear, and it's a real pleasure to share in it.
There's even a great section on the fans of SG1!
It's a wonderful book, and I love leafing through it to remind myself of favourite parts, of both the guide and the series that inspired it. I can only hope there'll be a follow-on for the next season(s)!

4.0 out of 5 stars approaching the possible, 18 May 2006
Shana Morris - See all my reviews
I found the book to very informative and well written. The book for the most part stuck to the facts about the episodes and some interesting facts about the actors, set locations, and mythologys. The only time I didn't enjoy the book was when the author subjected her own opinion and biased the outline on the episodes accordingly. Such as her rant about the characters not being gay. However the book was well done and I would definitely recommend it to any stargate fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well... It looked promising..., 11 Jan. 2007
Anny Théberge (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this, started reading it and got fed up quite quickly with it.

At first, the way of presenting the info ("Why we're Space Monkeys", "Parlez-vous Gate?") was entertaining but I got tired of the contents after reading about a few episodes. The personal comments about the show had my eyebrow going up, Teal'c-like, quite often. As were the Jackson-centered synopses. They are obviously written by a fan, but they don't have to be "fannish".

And, pray tell, what was that big color picture of that unknown woman doing in there??! I assume it was Black/Vala (no, I didn't watch season 9: what little I've seen I didn't like). If it is, in my humble opinion, it had no place being in a book about the first 8 seasons and it was taking up the space of a perfectly good photo of some other important character like Jacob's (Argenziano) or Bratak's (Amendola).

Speaking of those pictures: they are simply gorgeous! There were many that I had never seen before. For me, they are the saving grace of this book.

I don't know if I'll pick it again someday and finish it, though...

Approaching the Possible: The World of Stargate Sg-1 (Large Print 16pt), Volume 2