5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Eaters of Tsavo and Other East African Adventures
A fantastic true story about man eating lions in Africa. I thought the book was out of print but was surprised to find it available on Amazon. I also noted that the book was reprinted by Amazon on good quality paper, better than that found in most paper backs.
Published on 1 Sep 2010 by June

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but...
Published on 25 Jan 2011 by Jimbo

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Eaters of Tsavo and Other East African Adventures, 1 Sep 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past, 7 Mar 2014
A great read. Incredible story told in measured, factual and undramatic english. Yet despite this it has to be one of the most interesting books I've read. The book does a good job of 'painting' a memory of being a part of truly wild Africa that will never exist again. The underlying irony in this book is the men that got to experience Africa as a truly beautiful and untamed continent were the same people who set out to 'civilise' it: With their trade and transportation network they made a huge contribution to ensuring future generations will never experience Africa in the same way again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: The man-eaters of Tsavo and other East African adventures (Paperback)
Do you know what an OCR published book is? No? Neither did I before I was conned into purchasing this virtually unreadable text. To add insult to injury, the scanner has added the library T's and C's, from which it was purloined, to the text. [Harvard College Widener Library, Cambridge, MA.]. I find it unbelievable that a company like Amazon sells such poor quality, and legally dubious, products. At least, when I return it, it is guaranteed to be unread.

5.0 out of 5 stars GreatAdventure Book, 15 Jun 2012
I first read this book more than fifty years ago in the school library, what a read then when I retired and the internet arrived my wife bought me a copy, and it took me back to my boyhood. This man was magic, he was so determined to get these lions. You are a part of the story on the edge of your seat. Great Book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but..., 25 Jan 2011
Jimbo (Doonfoot Scotland) - See all my reviews
The Man Eaters story is told in a fairly no nonsense style and brings the horror of the lion attacks almost matter of factly but engrossing all the same. The rest of the stories didn't sit well with me as the author seemed to wander around the land shooting mostly for the purpose of skins occasionaly for food.I'm so glad we've changed our attitude to these wonderful animals. Seemed to be a lot of wasted paper in the production of this edition with large amounts of blank space and overly large book altogehter.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Man-Eaters of Tsavo, 21 Mar 2009
Dominik Cotic (Ljubljana, Slovenia EU) - See all my reviews
Nice pre nap reading, far from Jim Corbett s Man-Eaters but written in honest manner without intention to be high class literature.

3.0 out of 5 stars man eaters of Tsavo, 15 April 2012
I have wanted to read this book for a very long time, but was always afraid that it would be badly written by a stuffy self-important Victorian adventurer. I was not prepared to order and pay for it from my bookshop for this reason.

When I found a copy cheap on Amazon I thought "why not?" I enjoyed the book, although its not in the same league as Corbett, and is shorter than I expected. Patterson writes well in an easy to read style which surprised me, and I now know the true story of the Tsavo lions (which even the great Corbett mentions). If you want to know about the man eaters of Tsavo this is worth getting, although it doesn't share the same insights as Corbetts books, which will remain peerless.

I am glad I got this book, as for many years I felt it was missing from my collection, but unless you have an interest in this particular story, not sure why you would want to get this instead of one of Jim Corbetts books as an introduction to hunting man eaters.

ARRAY(0xaed8fb28)

The man-eaters of Tsavo and other East African adventures
The man-eaters of Tsavo and other East African adventures by John Henry Patterson (Paperback - 3 Aug 2009)
4.94