1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars The Songs, The Stories, The Season...Things To Share, 14 Dec. 2010
James Gallen (St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Did you ever wonder how our favorite Christmas songs became the hits that we enjoy every year? This book tells why the words were written, how the artists were selected and what made the works special. Each section highlights one of thirty-four of the most beloved hits of the season. Read about the hymn written to compensate for a broken organ, the one inspired by a tubercular patient's enjoyment of children at play and the story written to console children whose mother was slipping away. Some songs played roles in our development as a nation, such as the one that opened entertainment doors for black entertainers, the ones that launched Perry Como's career, revived Gene Autry's , and those ones that added Christmas music to the repertoires of Bing Crosby, Mel Torme, the Carpenters and others.

This short book deepens the reader's appreciation for the songs we treasure from year to year. While reading during a recent business flight I related its interesting facts to my business partner. A few days later she told me how she had shared the stories behind the department store music with her fellow shoppers. I am glad that I read this book. Enjoy this treat, and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!

Stories Behind the Greatest Hits of Christmas (Large Print 16pt)