5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful collection of arrangements, 15 May 2012
H. Thomas (Mid-Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Lute to Uke: Early Music for Ukulele (A Jumpin Jim's Ukulele Songbook) (Paperback)
I can do little more than support Longshaw's very favourable review. I have derived great enjoyment from playing the easier pieces, and trying to play the harder ones. My favourites are the Dowlands, and it is intriguing to see how Mizen has fitted music written for a 7 or 8-course lute into a 4-string instrument.

The cd included with the book makes you realise what the uke is capable of - it's really a little guitar capable of very sweet sounds.

The arrangements are made for the re-entrant tuning, whereas I mostly play with a low G, so I have had to do a bit of tinkering with the fingering when the melody is on the 4th string. It all adds to one's interest and understanding.

I hope that this book is as successful as it deserves, and that more will follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not "When I'm Cleaning Windows", 11 Feb. 2012
This book is the perfect antidote for those who are fed up with the relentless question - can you play "When I'm Cleaning Windows?" Simply blow them away with some early lute music!

This is a superb book, which elevates the ukulele to a `proper' instrument. Who would have thought that it could sound this different or this good.

While the book is not for beginners, it does start off with some easy pieces and finishes with some advanced numbers. The music is written in both tab and traditional format, and suits the high G particularly well. It is worth buying this book just to listen to the CD alone.

More please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 4 Dec. 2012
This book was recommended by a friend and, as I wanted to play fingerstyle, I went for it. The tunes are simple arrangements in both TAB and manuscript form, that begin easily and get progressively more adventurous and complex through the book.

The CD that comes with it is well played by the author and is useful to know how the tunes ought to sound.

The only reason that I haven't given it 5 stars is that I would like to have seen some playing and performing notes for each piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Uke music, 29 Aug. 2013
Mrs. S. V. Rowe (England) - See all my reviews
This is a great book. It has both musical notes and tabs and a cd to show you how it should sound. Ive mastered the first tune,though Im not up to the speed on the cd and looked at the second tune, The music is beautiful, and eventually I hope I will be able to play some of the more difficult one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 7 May 2013
I was thinking of getting a lute as I love early music but was advised that a ukulele is cheaper and easier to learn. The uke can sound very lute like and this publication is just right for me as I am just starting out. I also have The Baroque Ukulele by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 22 April 2013
J. Lloyd "Guitar Player" (Warwick) - See all my reviews
Beautifully put together collection of easily playable tunes. Proves you can play anything on ukulele! More needed selections please, and quickly!

5.0 out of 5 stars From lute to uke, 6 July 2013
I was very surprised when I satarted to play this selection of variated music pieces, how well it sounds on uke. Pure joy to play and relaxing beautiful music. Very well assembled and transposed to uke makes the playing on the uke a delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lute to Uke excellent, 23 May 2014
Book matched my expectations and requirements. and indeed, what more is there that needs to be said about any instructional book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Lute to Uke, 14 Jan. 2014
These are very good to start off with as the melodies are very simple so I think these are suitable for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward but really effective, 12 Jan. 2015
M. J. Millar (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I found this a most useful book. The early tunes are very straightforward to play and this encourages you to progress. The transcriptions are sensible and the whole thing just works. Excellent book which I can't recommend highly enough.

From Lute to Uke: Early Music for Ukulele (A Jumpin Jim's Ukulele Songbook)