5.0 out of 5 stars What an insight!, 7 April 2011
I have known and worked with Brian for a good few years and knew bits and bobs of his past life that he shared with me, the abuse he had mentioned, his rough upbringing, him turning his life around, you think you have a measure of a man then BHAM you read his book, it should have been called "What goes on behind closed doors".

Talk about getting an insight into a person's life, the things he endured, not wanting to be parted from his family when his father was taken away, thinking life's normal in that kind of environment because you have not been privy to a different life, the effect it can have on a young mind, the beatings, the psychological effect... WOW.

An excellent read in its own right, a brilliant read when you know the man......Roll on part two.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a challenging life for a small boy - I was truly gripped!, 14 Mar. 2011
Started 3pm Friday 11th, finished saturday 12th and what a read!!

If I said I couldn't put it down that would not be an exaggeration. I found myself desperate to find out how this kid could possibly endure any more pain or suffering, hoping that both would ease in the next chapter.

I can't believe the life I was reading, especially the very early days and how it could be so different to that of my own.

Ironically I too was scared of my alcoholic father and hated the free dinners and government school Clothes/shoes hence the reason I now have a ridiculous and obscene amount of both!

It's not just a typical book of this genre! It really is quite something - and very thought provoking!

I thought this story was truly gripping. The pain and suffering brought tears to my eyes more than once, I think the man who wrote this is truly inspirational.

How he found the strength to continue is quite astounding and puts a few issues I had to a dramatic end! (thanks).

just can't believe the author had such a turbulent and horrific journey.....I'm led to believe there are a further 2 books by this amazing author, I just need to find them and read them.

I feel Just once, when I was little is a book I won't stop talking about. You have to read it.

I'm ready for book number 2 now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational read, 8 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Just Once, When I Was Little (Paperback)
Just Once When I Was Little' takes the reader to the childhood of the author; one where love is scarce and abuse is frequent. This isn't a book for the faint-hearted, but the fact that Brian Mynott lives to tell the tale makes the reader believe in determination and hope, no matter what the circumstances. One can never imagine the suffering that this man endured at the hands of his father and mother, but nonetheless his writing is frank and compelling.It is a book that you will read in one go, for it is impossible to put down once you start.

When you reach the end, there are more questions in the readers mind than there are answers, you may not cry, but you will feel overwhelmed with many different emotions. As I read this book, I had a rush of different emotions. I was mainly disturbed because I kept picturing this little boys suffering, and the shame he must have felt when faced by peers. I also felt hatred towards the two people that he called his mother and father.It is hard to believe that this is a true story, simply because it is so unbelievable and because many us will never experience any thing like this, or here of anything like this in our lives.

It's a story of a father and mother's cruel abuse and a boy's ability to survive. I read this book as if I were looking through his eyes, I am so sorry that to make him the person that he is today, that he had to encounter such a horrible life. It takes someone with a strong will, spirit, and physical ability to pull through what he did. I have the most respect for this man, and I will continue to buy whatever he may publish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 13 May 2011
Just Once, When I Was Little is the kind of book that will send shivers down your spine, making you stay up all night to find out whether the little boy will survive the day, week, month. It is a book that reminded me a bit of A Boy Called It, but with better writing and one that touched me on a deeper level. It seared a strong impression into my mind, making me sad and angry to know that things like these exist. The writing was beautiful yet tragic, the emotions real, raw, reaching to one. I absolutely loved how the author was able to give an autobiography a beginning, middle and ending without leaving too many questions unanswered. Just knowing that this isn't fiction has left me with a sense of dread.

But to start from the beginning, the boy in this book is just an innocent kid who would like to be able to play with his siblings and enjoy his childhood just like any other. From the outside, his family seems like any other, albeit poor with no electricity and heating. But behind closed doors, horrible things happen, things no child should ever witness and go through. At the heart of the abuse is the child's father, who is liked by those around him because he comes across as capable and inventive. In the child's eyes, he's a large monster with a thirst for causing pain and suffering to his family. As the child's mental and physical abuse and torture progresses, moulding his will to that of the father, the reader will glimpse something: a willingness to survive no matter what.

Just Once, When I Was Little is a child's journey to Hell and back, it is the recollection of a child's fight to survive and the difficulties he faced later in life because of the scars left behind.

It is a well-written story with a literary touch and beautiful description. It is also one that will make you laugh and cry with the little boy until the very end. To say I enjoyed reading this book would be disrespectful to the author because no one should ever enjoy reading about someone else's pain. Let's just say, the writing was beautiful and I enjoyed the writer's talent to bring words to paper. The events described made me want to shout out in disbelief that people are so self-focused and turn a blind eye to what is going on around them.

I thoroughly recommend this book and hope many will pick up a copy because stories like this shouldn't be left untold and unread. If people just opened their eyes and started paying attention to what is going on around them, maybe some innocent children will be spared the torture this little boy went through.
This is a life-changing book!

5.0 out of 5 stars my thoughts, 30 Jan. 2012
I bought 'just once when i was little' as i am lucky enough to know the author very well. I wasn't keen after reading reviews on reading it, simply because the Brian Mynott i know would never let these things happen would he? However immediately upon reading his book the obvious smacks you in the face, this a book about his CHILDHOOD & there was a time when Brian himself was at the mercy of adults himself. Shockingly the prominent adults in his life filled his childhood with despair & confusion, as he illustrates with remarkable clarity in his book. Despite the shocking content of this book it is comforting to know Brian as he is now, to know that your past, whatever it was like does not have to mould your future, i speak from experience when i say he is without doubt one of the most patient men i know, something he had to be to know me at times!! Whether you know him or not this book is a must read & i literally could not put it down, i don't think i've read a book as quick as this one & i can't wait for the 2nd installment. Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do we really know anyone, 23 May 2011
Having known the author for a number of years and knowing nothing of his life as a child. I was at first reluctant to read this book. I was afraid that it may alter my perspective of a man who I called a friend and had spent many happy hours fishing and drinking with.

It has not and I am glad I have read it. Like every one else I found this a compelling read and at times had to keep reminding myself that this was a man I knew.

No human being let alone a child should have to endure the physical and mental torture that my friend went through. To put it down on paper for friends, family and others to read also take a special kind of courage. Well done Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars just once when i was little, 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Just Once, When I Was Little (Paperback)
I have know the author for over 30 years, but did not know anything about the abuse he suffered as a child, this book is a fascinating and compelling read. it is not an easy story,and be prepared to shocked and possibly distressed by this true story. It is a damming indictment of the failure of Social services dept. in Bradford, and their total failure, to help this family. it should be made compulsory reading for All social workers, that is if they have the stomach to read it.Just Once, When I Was Little

5.0 out of 5 stars No child should endure the pain and torment he did., 28 Mar. 2011
I bought this book as I knew the author but knew nothing about his childhood. To say I was horrified that he and his siblings had been through such traumatic childhoods is an understatement. As a parent myself I cannot begin to understand how any father/mother could give out the treatment they endured. I have nothing but admiration for him to share his life story with others.

Just Once, When I Was Little
Just Once, When I Was Little by Brian Mynott (Paperback - 20 Jun. 2011)