5.0 out of 5 stars The single most useful book on raw food
Published 23 months ago by J. T. Staunton

2.0 out of 5 stars not what I signed up for. money back, please.
Published 4 months ago by jean smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The single most useful book on raw food, 25 Aug 2012
J. T. Staunton (Ireland) - See all my reviews
It is very refreshing to see an author discuss the pros and cons of a particular diet with such candor through his own personal experience. I spend a lot of my time reading nutrition related articles, books etc and I am very familiar with some the raw food theories in existence and some of the comments made by raw food fanatics. I've also experimented with the raw food diet as well as many other diets in the search for optimum and connected health. The problem with a lot of raw foodists is that they become completely regimented in their views ignoring what their body is telling them(often I'm starving!) This view isn't unique to raw foodists, its the same with Vegans, Paleos and many others...thousands of benefits and any negative is usually due to the adaptive/detox phase. Frederic Patenaude dispels the myths of raw food in a concise and logical way through his own often painful experiences. Such a well written and concise book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Intro to Raw Food for a First Timer, 8 Nov 2012
I found this book to be informative, fun and exciting. I knew literally almost nothing about the Raw Food movement before reading this book. I am inspired to really improve my diet by the book but not to go 100% raw. There are a lot of gems in it, advice and pitfalls and it is a very honest account of a personal journey and an industry/movement which has some significant traps for the unwary. The only criticism I have is that it is a little repetitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw food realism, 29 May 2012
A. Pingree (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been eating high raw, mostly vegan for over 2 years now but, like Frederic, was curious as to how to make my diet even better and to overcome the annoying health issues that still crop up. This book has literally opened my eyes with its honest, flexible and thought-provoking approach. It's partly autobiographical but focuses on the food, diet and health aspects of the author's life. I can really identify with the writer, which probably made it easier for me to read, and I like the more scientific approach to the topics researched in the book (complete with references). I really enjoyed hearing about how people like David Wolfe started out and to hear that some of the well known people in the raw food movement sometimes got things wrong too.

There are some slightly repetitive parts of the book but despite that I would also say that it is quite thorough. Some people may be dubious as the author is not a nutritionist and doesn't have a scientific background so, essentially, the content of the book is his opinion. However, as a scientist myself, I would say that it is a well researched opinion and that anecdotal evidence can be just as useful for an individual as statistics and studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Raw Food Controversies: How to Avoid Common Mistakes That May Sabotage Your Health (Paperback)
I wholly recommend this book, it is honest and well written. It takes an autobiographical direction throughout which makes it more interesting. I would like to state however, if I had visited Frederick's webpage first I would never have bought this book, therefore I am grateful that I did not discover his webpage until later. The reason for this is that the webpage is very pushy sell sell sell with pop-ups coming at you all the time, it really does give the impression that the author is only in it for the money. Frederick is not afraid to admit he was wrong or that he has adjusted his views on any aspect of raw foodism, this makes him very different to other 'holly raw foodists'. Basically the book takes you on Fred's journey from regular SAD diet to raw food via vegetarianism and veganism, taking in all his health mishaps and mistakes, enabling the reader to draw their own conclusions and avoid the same mistakes. Fred continues to evolve and learn along his chosen path and reports his findings on his webpage, if you can tolerate the big push on it?!? to this end he now has a new book called 'raw freedom' which I have just purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've started so I'll finish, 9 July 2013
N. White "nickymunch" (london) - See all my reviews
A very honest and informative insight into eating raw.....something that I've scratched the surface from time to time. After starting this kindle version I found it very hard to put down till finished. I liked the author's honesty and I've decided to read some other material from people mentioned by him.......thank you Frederic

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!!, 8 Jun 2011
R.H.C. (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This book is a really easy read, full of information and first hand experiences for anyone contemplating going raw. By chance I was reading it at the time I went to a 1 week raw food retreat. I was able to compare what we were eating and what the book said about it. It was REALLY interesting to 'live' the book!!!
I highly recommend this book to avoid raw food pitfalls.

5.0 out of 5 stars something more real:), 12 Mar 2013
excellent book I would definitely recommended this to everyone who is interest in raw food diet.It shows bigger picture of this diet not only positive sides but also negatives and makes realize that if you decided to go raw you have to study all the time and observe yourself and you can't be fix on anything I mean you have to stay open all the time:)

2.0 out of 5 stars not what I signed up for. money back, please., 25 Mar 2014
If this book were entitled 'one man's, slightly self-indulgent, exploration into the raw food scene' then I'd give it 5 stars. This is not, however, what the title claims. I was looking for scientific research and grounded evidence. Instead, I got a collection of immature journal writings. I gave it two stars because I appreciate the effort it goes not writing a book and there were a few interesting kernels amongst all the other tedious diary entries that I had to sift through. Btw- these aren't 'controversies' anyone with a tiny bit if knowledge about nutrition knows this if you eat mostly fruit you'll get cavities and eating loads of nuts and avocados is not good for health.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting to the heart of the matter, 21 Oct 2013
I enjoyed this autobiography of one man's journey through the raw food movement. Fred sounds like a sweet kid who tried his best and got swept up in it all.

Aside from the personal story, there was a lot of information about food and health, and it has certainly made me consider my own diet more carefully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good _ I was looking for this type of book, 10 Aug 2013
Really interesting book.
The writer has a young and easy style. That make the book really easy to read.
I am on a verge of changes but before I started a new diet I was looking for more information, I found this book and it comforted me in my choices. But it also brought me back to reality. It won't be easy to change diet and lifestyle.
I think that I will keep researching a bit longer and I would like to read more of his books.
I definitely recommend this book !

11.38