5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!!
Wow! I read this book on the strength of the other five star reviews and I am in total agreement with them. What a blast! Not like any insomnia book I have ever read before (and I've read them all).

Published on 2 Jun 2011 by Nadia Zammal

2.0 out of 5 stars Reductionist and too Evangelical for my taste.
I'm hesitant to be negative about a book that seems to have been helpful to a lot of people. However, this book did not improve my sleep; in fact it made me feel worse as the author is convinced I therefore could not have been following her advice sincerely.
The thing is the mind (conscious and subconscious) and sleep mechanisms are very complex and idiosyncratic...
Published 5 months ago by Bobby Davro

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!!, 2 Jun 2011
Nadia Zammal (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Effortless Sleep Method: The Incredible New Cure for Insomnia and Chronic Sleep Problems (Paperback)

I consider myself a bit of an expert when it comes to sleep books. ( I have bought in excess of 30!) Most just give background information and loads of filler. But now and again a book comes along that really stands out from the rest. "The Effortless Sleep Method" is one of them. In my opinion, there are only 3 or 4 books you will ever need to overcome insomnia. These are, in order of merit

The Effortless Sleep Method
Say Goodnight to Insomnia
I Can Make You Sleep (a self-hypnosis book)
Desperately Seeking Snoozing (only if you want to try sleep restriction)

This book is the least 'padded' of the lot. It's gritty and raw and a bit rough round the edges, (a bit poorly edited) but that is part of its charm. The first chapter is a harrowing narrative of the author's own battle with insomnia. It will strike a chill into the heart of any insomniac and I really found it resonated with my own experience. But having brought you down, in the rest of the book, she really `lifts you up' and tells you exactly how to change things. This is really not proper CBT like "Say Goodnight to Insomnia" but I haven't read anything with a better account of the thought processes needed to stop negative thoughts about insomnia.

There is the usual section on sleeping pills but don't miss this chapter out. I can't give spoilers, but after reading this chapter I gave up on the idea of ever taking another sleeping tablet. But best of all, there is a clear plan of action which is often missing in so many books. The instructions are precise and because of this, it is more of a `how to book' than just an information book.

I can see that this might be a bit of a `Marmite' book. You'll either love it or hate it! But I think I found it even more helpful than everyone's favourite "Say Goodnight to Insomnia".

This book left me feeling more hopeful about sleep than I had done in years and I think it was this book which gave me the final `push' in cracking my chronic insomnia. If you have insomnia or sleep issues, you won't regret buying this book.

Nadia

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from all other approaches, 30 Mar 2011
M. Warren (London) - See all my reviews
The Effortless Sleep Method is an engaging and easy to read solution to Insomnia from someone who actually knows what they are talking about! I.e. Someone who has lived with the effects of long term insomnia. I guess the saying "it takes one to know one" is never more true than in this case.

The book includes much of the common sense activities and behaviours which are either to be encouraged or avoided at all costs in order to get your sleeping life back on track, but more importantly, it explains the approaches which simply don't work and can actually be more harmful such as medication and why it never will work in the long run.

Once you take this on board, the most useful information of all is divulged. Information which in itself seems so insignificant in nature, but in fact is the crux of all insomniacs problems. The information which finally leads to totally perfect sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll really learn something new about insomnia, 21 Feb 2011
I have read a fair few sleep books in my time but this one is by far the best. I thought there was nothing anyone could teach me about insomnia that I didn't know already. But I realise now I didn't really know anything! When I got this book I read it in one sitting - I just couldn't put it down. When I had finished I actually cried because I knew I had found the answer to my insomnia which I have had for nearly 2 years. After 3 weeks of following the instructions I can sleep most nights and I feel really positive and enegetic. Give it a go. I really reccomend it and you'll learn some amazing things about insomnia which no other books say.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you will ever need to get rid of insomnia for good, a set of tools for life., 31 Jan 2012

Having just had my first brush with insomnia I cannot say how relieved I am to have come across this gem of a book. It not only gives very clear guidance on extremely straightforward ways to improve poor sleep habits, but equally as importantly it addresses how frightening and isolating insomnia can be from someone who has herself been there. Sasha has a lovely and empathic way of relating to her readers, and although this book is tailor made for anybody experiencing insomnia, she also has an ability to empathise with the reader as if they were having a one to one chat with her. I immediatley realised where all of my poor sleep experiences had begun, and the habits that have kept them there. I have only just read this book, and already noticed changes and improvements in my sleep, and I am entirely optimistic about my ability to continue to improve and sleep well. Love and light to you Sasha. Your turning peoples lives around

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Common Sense from someone who knows., 10 Feb 2012
Thank you. Just Thank you. I started reading this 6 days ago, and after 4 years of sleeping pills, lavender pillows, alcohol, sleepy baths, excessive exercise, falling asleep on settees and never in bed I have had 5 nights of wonderful beautiful refreshing adorable sleep, sometimes 4 hours, sometimes 7, but always refreshing. I have your "affirmations" stuck all over my office and whenever a negative thought pops in,i look at my signs. I felt a bit silly at first, but im sleeping and im positive so who gives a monkeys if im silly, i'd rather be silly and sleeping, than sensible and desperate.

I've tried many things, books, hypnotherapy, anti depressants, beta blockers (no idea... but i did find if you took about 12 you kind of passed out into sleep....),i always knew i was causing it myself, i just didnt realise that the way out of that was so obvious.

I think this one works, because you know that she knows how bad it is, so straight away you cant say to yourself, and you know that you do.... its not the same for me, ive tried it all, do they actually know what they're on about??? well yeah, she does and it shows and you draw faith from that, and thats what you need, just a bit of faith thatit could might just possibly maybe work for you if you follow it. Believe me i'm a cynical negative old so and so but what the hell i had nothing to lose by throwing myself into it, so I read the book, i believed the book and i slept like a baby that first night, so i was bang in to it the next night, then i didnt sleep so good, but instead of dropping into my usual despair and throwing a tantrum i thought i'd try her tactic, stick with it and remember to be positive even if it feels like you are telling a lie.

Yes I'm only 6 days in, but i feel different, i dont feel like an insomniac in a good spell, I feel like someone on the road to recovery, i feel like now im just a person who really does enjoy going to sleep at night...... and the plus side is, when you wake up after 7 hours of sleep that you didnt beg, barter or drug for, you wake up feeling like you just spent the night with Brad Pitt...... :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cured!!!!, 7 April 2012
I bought this book approx 5 weeks ago and I am happy to say my problem with sleeping has 100% gone!!! I had been suffering with insomnia for approx 1 year, and like Sasha mentions, thought my problem was 'different'. It came so out of the blue that I thought something was medically wrong, and I have seen countless doctors and alternative therapists, as well as trying every sleep remedy and cure that anyone suggested, but nothing helped.

I thought this book was extremely well written, and I knew after reading it that this was going to be the one that worked. It didn't disappoint!!! After about 2-3 weeks of following the books suggestions, I could see a huge improvement in my sleep, and for the last week I have been sleeping through the night! My quality of life has improved significantly and I have alot to thank Sasha for.

I wrote this review because it was the previous reviews on Amazon that encouraged me to buy the book. I know how hard and desperate life can be when suffering from insomnia - but this book can change that. I would 100% recommmend that everyone buys this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't doubt - just believe, 4 April 2012
I read Sasha's book after a relatively recent problem. Unfortunately at that time I had fallen into a vicious cycle, and was at the brink of despair, but Sasha's methods will teach you how to get out of the cycle (there is no 'instant' cure but a gradual recovery process). The method is simple, very straightforward in fact. But that's the reason why it works so well - sleep shouldn't be complicated!

At first I was also sceptical like everyone else. How can a book cure sleep problems? Well because the problem is not a physical problem, it's all driven by one's thoughts and behaviours - and worst of all, fear. The book addresses these very well but more importantly the method will get you into a bout of sleep again.. which gradually reduces your anxiety.. which in turn improves your sleep... thus it's a cycle out of the problem!

I also have to thank Sasha for her personal support. Her support was beyond my expectations at the time of purchasing the book and all her advice was worth more weight in gold than sessions with doctors.

I visited many doctors, therapists, etc but in hindsight, all I really needed was this book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 29 Dec 2011
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I've used Sominex and Nytol constantly for almost 2 years and thought that it could not continue this way. I was totally dependent on them and they were my crutch. Half the time they didn't work and left me feeling worse next day. I stumbled on this book using my Kindle and decided to give it a go....why not! It is written in a very sensitive and intelligent way. Unbelievably, my sleep improved on the 2nd night with no use of pills. I've now thrown out my collection of sleep aids and this felt great. It's only been a week or so since I read the book and I've slept fine since. If you adopt the advice in the book it WILL work for you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ex-insomniac sleeps out, 14 Nov 2011
This book is both inspiring and successful and is highly recommended. Its author knows a good deal about the psychological, emotional and wide-ranging impact of long-term insomnia and has written an authoritative book which REALLY works. Whatever sleep issues you may have, Sasha Stephens has been in your situation before - trying a pharmocopia of pills, a smorgasbord of self-help techniques, a heady hybrid of sleep hygiene tips and a cornucopia of mystical tid-bits. She has come out of this hellish laboratory of the self with the experience and wisdom to recommend a series of strategies and easy-to-follow rules and routines which enable healthy, natural and blissful sleep which lasts.
Ditch the other self-help books and pills. Get a dose of biblio-therapy by buying this excellent and life-changing book. It will be your constant and reassuring companion as you work towards finally overcoming your insomnia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 21 Mar 2011
The minute I started reading Sasha Stephens' book I knew I was in safe hands. In the most clear and concise way she lays out all the fallacies and pitfalls associated with insomnia, many things I had never even thought about. There had always been a sense that sleeping pills never really addressed the problem, but here Stephens explains not only why they are not the answer, but also the dangers surrounding them. For anyone wanting to get to the root of why they cannot sleep and to finally get over pill-dependency, this book will change your whole perspective. Highly recommended.