5.0 out of 5 stars Toby kicks butt in this high octane addition to the October Daye series., 12 Sep 2012
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
At this point, six books into the series, we've seen October's character make quite the transformation, both emotionally and physically. From orphaned changeling kid, wandering lost in the human world. To wife and mother, trying to play Fairy Bride. And finally, where we are today; to kickass hero and knight errant to the Duke of Shadowed Hills, friend and ally to the King of Cats and Sea Witch, rescuer of lost kids, acquirer of loyal friends, and just all-round reckless but totally lovable main character with an infectious personality. I absolutely love her! For reals.

And throughout all these changes in her circumstances, and the physical changes and power-ups she's gone through that make her now almost as indestructible as May (her former Fetch and kinda twin sister), she's somehow managed to keep that wonderful glibness, that highly inappropriate wit that so often gets her in trouble, but that is hilarious to read.

I have to say, Seanan McGuire's writing of Toby's dialogue is so funny, and so...random. I think her humour is quirky and possibly won't be for everyone, but it really tickles me. I often have to stop to do that silent laughing thing when she catches me off guard. I just like the silliness of it, especially when it's completely inappropriately-timed.

The plot for ASHES OF HONOR was a little more simplistic than past instalments have been, which I think is a good thing because this world is complex enough without having head-bending, multi-stranded plots to try and wrap my tiny mind around. It's another missing child case; a changeling teleporter this time. Which is problematic since Toby can't exactly follow a teleporter around. But that's why it helps to have friends in high places, such as the Sea Witch who can make a spell for almost any occasion, or the King of Cats who can travel through the shadows (which is almost the same thing as teleporting, but significantly more uncomfortable for a non-Caith Sidh like Toby).

There was also a separate subplot surrounding the Court of Cats which brought with it some new and very exiting developments. (You can't see me, but I'm grinning).

Most of the characters from past books made and appearance with a few notable exceptions: There was no Queen of the Mists this time (not really sad about that since she's batshit crazy and hates Toby's guts), but also not much mention of Danny the Bridge Troll (who I really like), and no one from the Undersea realm either. But I was happy to see we revisited Tamed Lightning. I love April the techno-Dryad and her complete inability to understand, sarcasm, jokes, emotions or anything said that's not meant 100% literally.

The best thing about ASHES OF HONOR for me was seeing the character development of many key players, but especially Toby. It's been a year since the last book (in Toby time as well as our time), and much has changed: Quentin, who's around 18 now, is growing up fast. May is becoming more and more like the twin sister people think she is. The Luidaeg still hasn't killed Toby. And maybe, just maybe, Tybalt doesn't dislike Toby as much as she once liked to believe he did. But at the start of the book, the one person who hasn't changed in the last year or moved on from the sad events of ONE SALT SEA, is Toby. Lucky for her, she's surrounded by awesome peeps who won't let that continue for much longer, and the progress she makes here in this book is immense.

For fans of the series, I think this instalment will become a new favourite. It certainly has for me. I feel like McGuire delivered everything I could possibly want from a UF novel, and I simply can't wait for the next one. I still have unanswered questions, but I'm confident McGuire has a master plan set in motion for revealing the answers in due course. For example, when are we going to see Amandine again and where the hell has she been? Who the frack are Quentin's parents? And what did the Sea Witch mean about the Selkies having to pay their debt soon? All these questions and more will have me counting the days until The Chimes at Midnight, which releases September 2013. Go faster time, damn you!

Highly recommended.
5 Stars ★★★★★ ♥

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 27 Sep 2012
I'm so proud of this series! So immersed in Toby's life since book 1, and so greatly satisfied with each page of each book. This book made me late for work, it made me late to a friends house & it made me leave said friends house early! This is the book we've been quietly waiting for and like every other book in this beautiful series it delivered.

If you're new to Seanan Magure please start with Rosemary & Rue so you can get the full experience. There are a few writers in my urban fantasy bookshelf that I return to with relish every so often, and Toby Daye and her misfit little gang bring me comfort and joy every time. Beautifully written, well researched, funny, scary, tense, romantic, brave and just completely awesome.

Toby is at her best in this book, she's evolving in front of our eyes, she has May, Quentin, the luidaeg and the wonderful Tybalt and Raj with her and this book is the one we've been waiting for. In some ways it felt like Seanan was closing the series, but I believe she was ending a plot series, not the books. There are more to come and she has set up a few new links for us. I feel that Seanan had a great deal of fun writing this, like she was visiting friends and letting them do exactly what they wanted!

I won't reveal the plot, suffice to say it involves a case to find a missing changeling and that is richly woven, with horrible baddies and exquisitely told. I won't spoil the slow burning love story, but you should be happy!

Honestly, I loved it. Thank you Seanan for bringing us Toby & her gang. You've really spoiled us with this book. I'm off to read it again.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Anotoher fantastic addition to the great UF series!, 5 Feb 2013
There is virtually no point saying that I love Seanan McGuire to bits. Every book of hers I read ends up with high marks. For me she is everything urban fantasy genre should strive to: high octane plot driven story, strong characters and an in depth world-building.

She has it all and she makes every book better and better than the previous one.

After heartbreaking ending of book #5 Toby Day has a short period of quiet before the storm so she can grieve. However, she gets a plea for help from the last person she would have expected to mess up, and what looks like a simple mission turns into save-the-world-try-not-to-die-in-the-process affair. Her usual type.

Not only that, the circumstances are eery similar to what happened to Toby's own daughter, and she is forced to deal with her emotional issues and her attraction to Tybalt as well. So you can say that book #6 is a turning point as it's full of revelations.

The plot is incredibly intense because Toby and Tybalt are both forced to jump between fae dimensions to find a missing girl who wreaks havoc in fae worlds and is unable to stop on her own. By doing that she is wearing off the foundations of fae magic, which holds everything together, and Toby has to stop her if she wants the world to stay as it is.

It's a fantastic read which I devoured in one go. I highly recommend this book and all the other books in the series to any fan of urban fantasy or anyone wanting to try and read something in this genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire, 22 Mar 2013
Good story. I could not put the book down. I loved the series and would encourage others to read it, if you like supernatural or shifters, fairies and other supernatural beings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent next installment, 12 Dec 2012
DebB (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I love this series - have since the start and I have yet to be disappointed. What's good is that Toby (and some of the other supporting characters) are allowed to change and develop as the series progresses.
The book starts a year or so on from the last and the totally (for me) unexpected death of a principle character. Toby is still hurting, and those who care about her are getting worried. Interestingly although there's a good plot line with the "now you see her, now you don't" Chelsea and the damage she's doing, there's a second strong storyline following Toby's relationships with those around her, especially a particular one person!
I agree with the other reviewer who says this feels like the end of the series - last paragraph "Sometimes a chance is more than enough. Sometimes that's all you need to have everything." Sounded very like a ta-daaaa end line to me, but Ms McGuire's website lists several more, so it's not. I suppose one of the long-running storylines has finally been resolved, but there are certainly others still hanging - Toby's mother, the selkies, who are Quentin's phenomenally tolerant parents, where's Simon...
Can't wait!
Don't start this series here. You'll probably enjoy the book, but there's a wealth of back story you need to really understand what's going on. Begin at the beginning (Rosemary and Rue), and, lucky you, you won't have to wait years for numbers 2, 3, 4, 5... - they're already out there waiting. Enjoy!

Ashes of Honor (October Daye Novels)
Ashes of Honor (October Daye Novels) by Seanan McGuire (Audio CD - 4 Sep 2012)
18.81