Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 June 2005
I have owned this book for years, but I recently have discovered another, newer version that is far superior. It is "Think and Grow Rich!: The Original Version, Restored and Revised" published by Aventine Press. For one thing it is a bigger book, both in size and in pages (412). It turns out that the book that this review is about is an abridged version of the original, something I never knew in all the times I have read it over the years. This smaller version, while good, contains nothing like the additional information in the "Restored and Revised" version, which I heard 2002 World Snooker Champion Peter Ebdon speaking about. There is just a wealth of fascinating facts and information in the back of the book. In the older book (the rather plain, smaller "Think and Grow Rich" this review concerns), the print is difficult to read, there is little space for jotting notes. The newer revised version reads better and by comparison is a far more useful learning instrument. Napoleon Hill's work is probably the most important ever done, anywhere in the world, in the motivational and self-improvement field. Whichever version you read, it will change your life forever, for the better.
55 comments|162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2013
Parts of this book were good and might be useful but there's way too much repetition and lengthy examples (including a full review of a book about the prophet Muhammed) and after a while it turns from sensibe advice into mysticism about tuning into "Infinite Intelligence" "law of attraction" type of teachings. Hill also makes bizarre statements like "Baldheaded men ... are bald for no other reason than their fear of criticism. Heads become bald because of the tight fitting bands of hats which cut off the circulation from the roots of the hair.", which made me think I was reading an L. Ron Hubbard book.

If the book had omitted all nonsense and been edited down to about a third of its length it could have been a very inspirational motivational book, but as it is, there are some pretty good things in it, but it's overshadowed by way too much nonsense.
on 16 July 2009
I first became aware of this book whilst listening to the audio-book of 'Millionaire Upgrade' by Richard Parkes Cordock. I was reluctant to purchase it however because of the poor reviews of the paperback version, which claimed that the text was of poor quality, amongst other things.

The first thing I will state is that this book is of the finest quality, you need not worry about its tangible condition, or indeed the quality of the information itself. The book contains an introduction by Tom Butler-Bowden (whose book 50 Self-Help Classics I intend to buy), which was very helpful, and it also contains the original text of 'Think And Grow Rich', which went out of copyright. It is pointed out that Napoleon Hill produced a revised, copyrighted edition, in 1960, however 'it is an abridgement which cuts out some of the interesting details in the original...'

As for the book itself and its content, I believe it to be the most important book I have ever read. I've read a few self-help books but none have touched me in the way that this has. As a Graduate, currently working in a minimum wage job, I feel like my life has lost its direction a bit and that I've been wandering aimlessly, but after reading the principles, in 'Think And Grow Rich', I believe that I can go now get my life back on track and I can make some positive plans for the future.

This won't happen overnight nor after reading the book only once, it will require daily application and persistence, and I suspect that my copy of 'Think And Grow Rich' will some become dog-eared from repetitive use! It's going to become my new handbook to living.

Having read other self-help books, I was already familiar with some of the principles, such as 'persistence' however there was quite alot of new material in 'Think And Grow Rich' which I was previously unfamiliar with. The Chapter on 'The Mystery of Sex Transmutation' was particularly interesting, as were the Chapters on 'Auto-Suggestion' and 'How to Outwit the Six Ghosts of Fear.'

The Author is clearly qualified having spent over 20 years of his life researching successful people and his work is endorsed by many distinguished figures such as Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas Edison and many many others.

One thing I found particularly interesting about the book, is that it was written at a time or not longer after, the Great Depression caused by the Wall Street Crash of 1929. Considering the recession we currently face, the book provides alot of hope: 'The "depression" was a blessing in disguise. It reduced the whole world to a new starting point that gives every one a new opportunity.'

It is cited as the Greatest Motivational Book of all time, on the back cover, and I would have to agree that it is certainly the most motivational I have ever read. The author's enthusiasm leaps out of the pages and you can't help but be inspired. The book requires alot of self-analysis and asks many probing questions, which really makes you think. I've read the book from cover to cover to get a feel for it but it's one I will be returning to again and again and studying in-depth.

I shall conclude my review as the Ralston Society conclude the book: 'No matter whether you are rich or poor-you have one asset as great as the richest man living-and that is time. But with each setting sun you become one day older; and have one day less in which to attain the success and wealth you desire....' Why wait any longer? The investment of money in this book is well worth it, but remember that you also have to invest much time and committment, in applying the principles to your life as well.
11 comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Books on similar subjects appear to arrive several at a time. In addition to this particular work, I have another three all with the word `Millionaire' in the title (two very different works both called "How to think like a Millionaire" and one called "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind). No!, they do not show you how to go out and win the lottery or obtain the secret of some other get-rich-quick scheme. If they did, I would describe them all as rubbish and demand a refund from the publisher.

Leaving those other works aside, this book shows you how to look after and make the most of what you have. My father always used to decry the fact that "money always goes to money." Of course, if you have a lot and are getting a decent rate of interest, then, of course, it does. But I also remember a young married soldier from many years ago who owned a very up-market car, a nice towing caravan, a small removals lorry and had the finest furniture in his married quarter. Those vehicles were for rent and his fellow soldiers (and officers) made the most of them. I remember him very clearly because everything he achieved was both legal and on an under-paid private soldier's wage and he owed no money to anyone. His secret was in making extra money and looking after all his income with the greatest care.

And that is what this book is all about. It requires the reader to adopt a very different attitude towards money and expenditure and it works. Or at least it can - if you are prepared to learn the lessons and put them in to practise.

And I wish you well.

NM
on 2 October 2014
This book is truly life changing, BUT DO NOT PURCHASE IT !!!
THE PUBLISHERS ARE EITHER BREAKING THE LAW OR PULLING A SERIOUS CON.

THE BOOK IS FREE TO DOWNLOAD LEGALLY.
DO A GOOGLE SEARCH.

It was written in 1937 by Napoleon Hill, but Wilder Publications have 'stolen' it.

DO NOT BUY * DO NOT BUY * DO NOT BUY * DO NOT BUY * DO NOT BUY
on 3 January 2009
Let me begin by saying that this is a truly inspiring and insightful book, and one which will help anyone immeasurably. It is mainly focused on acquiring wealth (hence the title), but the principles can be applied to achieving any goal. Despite being written over 70 years ago, the content is just as relevant and useful today, and easily deserves the full five stars.

With that said, this is a very poor version of the book. The content appears to be complete and original, but it is riddled with spelling mistakes and typographical errors, and I've even found a couple of places where entire paragraphs have somehow found themselves transplanted into the middle of other paragraphs, sometimes in the middle of a word! This is frequently distracting and sometimes nigh-on impossible to read. It is clear that the book has been rushed out with no proof-reading whatsoever.

In summary, I can't recommend this book enough, but please buy a different version.
on 12 June 1999
In 1990, I returned home (Orlando,Fl) after a crashing business failure in Hawaii. I had read Think & Grow Rich many years before along with other mind books including "You can if you Think you can" by Norman Vincent Peale. Frustrated, I decided to go back to my "roots" and dug out the old dog eared copy of "Think and Grow Rich" that I had packed away and began to read and most importantly apply the techniques. Within weeks, I found a new opportunity and within months, my income had grown to a personal high. I really can't say enough about Think and Grow Rich, except read it and apply the principles. The other book that came into my life at the same time I began to reread Think and Grow Rich was "More Wealth without Risk" by Charles Givens and oh yes, I also reread You can if you Think you can by Dr. Peale. I highly endorse all three books for anyone serious about success.
on 20 February 2011
A curious CD, the narrator's rich, all-American baritone being one of the most attractive aspects of this summary of Napoleon Hill's epic work. I find the content to have a similar effect to a Chinese takeaway meal - no offence to the Chinese. It leaves one feeling hungry some time after the partaking of it. Not that the information contained is at fault - indeed if it was possible to maintain the mindset delineated by Napoleon Hill, then everybody would be dynamic, rich and fulfilled. And if all men "had behind them the love of a good woman" and the comfort of a loving family as the CD exhorts, then perhaps America would be in a different place to its present position, and would be spreading Love without the aid of guns. Not that I'm knocking America either - the British too have much to be ashamed of as well as proud.

The CD is very nice if you want upliftment as you drive, and don't mind the antiquated perspective of man-married-to-and-supported-by-good-woman, go-out-there-and-do-it gung-ho, cowboy western mentality of yesteryear. As for a lifestyle intervention, hmm. Do you still use the fitness DVDs you bought? If you do, then this might help you in the long run.
on 11 July 2006
This "new" version of Napoleon Hill's classic "Think and Grow Rich" does a real disservice to the memory of Dr. Hill. Not only has the editor left out whole sections and altered the wording in the book, but he also "expands" it by including here and there musings about today's entrepreneurs, which have the effect of constant disruption. The book is handsome enough on the outside, but if you know anything about Napoleon Hill and his book, this new version will make you cringe on the inside!
on 13 March 2009
This is a book that everyone should read, not only that but to keep going back to again and again as a reference point. I only wish I had read it years ago. I believe this should be in all schools and be part of the curriculum, instead of teaching things that most never use again.