5.0 out of 5 stars Best textbook I bought for first year uni
Great for first year immunology modules. Explains concepts well in a subject which tends to be confusing to many students. Also fairly small so you can carry it about and use it for reference in lectures, tutorials etc.
Published 9 months ago by Lucy Vass

3.0 out of 5 stars A BASIC Immunology Book suitable for 1st years
When I received this book to review for Elsevier, I was in my 3rd year of medical study. Previous books that I have received have sometimes been misleading in their title, however this book certainly isn't.

Published on 10 Jan. 2013 by LancsMedStudent

3.0 out of 5 stars A BASIC Immunology Book suitable for 1st years, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System, 4e (Paperback)

Before I continue I want to point out that this book is written by American authors so you need to be aware from the outset that there are numerous spelling differences to the UK system of diagnosis that you must be cautious of.

As it's title implies it is a basic immunology book. It's advantages are that it is perhaps one of the smallest immunology books I have seen and own both in height and thickness so could be carried around with you. The book does have excellent usage of computer generated diagrams throughout to compliment the text. There are in addition high quality photomicrograph images in most chapters as well. The final section (appendix) of this book does include some clinical cases for the reader to work through which look useful at applying this knowledge.

Perhaps the thing that disappointed me most about this book however was the fact that in most chapters where clinical conditions are mentioned, this is not done in a clinical context. By this I mean that they book itself says that it will not give you the signs and symptoms you would expect with each of the conditions that are mentioned. They rationale for this is that other books include such information, however given the current financial climate in which students can't afford to buy loads of books anymore, I feel this is a downfall. The best example of this is in the 'Hypersensitivity' chapter where you are told of the syndrome 'Bronchial asthma' are given the therapy and the mechanism of action for it but are not told some of the cardinal features of this condition which I feel really could have being done with being included. With 'pernicious anaemia' later in the chapter you are given 2 clinical pathologic manifestations but still this is very basic and not sufficient to aid you on placement.

To summarise then I would not highly encourage any student above first year to purchase this book. For those in 1st year I would recommend that you consider it by looking at it from your university library. However personally as far as basic immunology books go, the best I have found is the following book from Wiley-Blackwell: How the Immune System Works: Includes Free Desktop Edition (Wiley Desktop Editions) which I got out of my university library far better and worth spending your money on.

Competing Interest: Elsevier Student Rep - Received Gratis Copy of Basic Immunology - no competing interests in relation to Wiley-Blackwell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best textbook I bought for first year uni, 11 May 2014

Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System, 4e
Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System, 4e by Shiv Pillai MBBS PhD (Paperback - 26 Nov. 2012)