5.0 out of 5 stars Split Second - Hardcover by David Baldacci
I always look forward to the next David Baldacci book beacuse they are suspenseful, edge of your seat stuff that you cannot put down. Split Second thankfully did not let me down. It is a very gripping thriller that has you guessing right to the end.
Published on 28 Nov 2003 by J. Jupp

3.0 out of 5 stars The first 363 pages are fine, then what happened David?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book with is large cast of characters, convoluted twists and false leads.
I also liked the interaction between the three secret agents, Saen, Michelle and Joan. Baldacci does his usual fine job creating believable characters and engaging them in challenging situations.
This is not a seat of the pants, page turning, read, but it is a...
Published on 23 Feb 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars The first 363 pages are fine, then what happened David?, 23 Feb 2006
Amazon Customer (Bournemouth UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Split Second (Paperback)
This is not a seat of the pants, page turning, read, but it is a well constructed criminal investigation novel that grips the interest and keeps you reading.
That is until the finale begins on page 364, and then we are thrown into something so bizarre, so totally unbelievable; then the novel degenerates into endless pages of explanatory dialogue that completely destroys the tension and drama.
Even so I expect all Baldacci fans will want to read this, it is only the end that disappoints.

1.0 out of 5 stars Split Second, 23 Feb 2004
Mr. Brian Keogh (Dublin 18 Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Split Second (Hardcover)
This book is a terrible disappointment. I'm a great Baldacci fan and all all his previous books have been outstanding entertainment. But Split Second doesn't work, through a combination of lazy plotting and cardboard characters. The plot revolves around three supposedly intelligent and well-trained ex-Secret Service agents, who bumble and stumble thriough the book like Keystone Cops. The bad guys have no difficulty in bamboozling them, running rings aroound them, beating them up, even kidnapping them.Half way through, I lost all interest in the plot's tired convolutions; three-quarters way through, I gave up on it. Baldacci is capable of much, much better. What's going wrong? All my favourite writers (Clancy, Crichton, Baldacci, Grisham) have produced duds with their latest books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Split Second - Hardcover by David Baldacci, 28 Nov 2003
J. Jupp "jayjupp" (UK) - See all my reviews
There are two main characters who suffer the same fate albeit at different times (8 years apart to be precise). The characters Sean King and Michelle Maxwell are Secret Service Agents who have more in common than they think. They unite forces to solve a kidnapping. They soon realise that they are trying to solve an assasination which happened years previously.
Both of their careers are ruined because while on duty they allegedly screwed up.
Without giving too much away the characters are believable and the plot is thick. They work closely to solve these and other crimes that tend to happen whenever they are together or are getting close to the truth.
As soon as I started to read the story I could not put the book down. The plot twists and turns and Sean and Michelle are never too sure who to trust.
If you like suspenseful thrillers then this is a must. You will not be able to help yourself from trying to figure out the plot before the book finishes. I was pleased that the ending was realistic and hopeful and not the usual Hollywood ending!!!
The only downside is that there are a lot of characters in the book and sometimes it is hard to keep track especially when some of them are from the past. As ever though, Baldacci ties up all the loose ends paying excellent attention to detail.
All I can say is pick it up I know you won't be able to put it down. I am always sad at the end of a David Baldacci book because true thrillers like this are hard to find. I now have to wait until his next book to get my next adrenaline filled rush. If you haven't read it then get yours now!!

3.0 out of 5 stars US secret service tales.... again - but it was ok, 11 Mar 2007
Mrs. B "Mrs.B" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Split Second (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the Camel Club, so I though I would persue Mr. Baldacci's work. I don't know if there is an order but this was next on my list.

The story follows two lead characters. The older is a retired secret service agent who has long since left his spook days behind and settled into a country town law practice. The younger is in persuit of one of her charges who was kidnapped while she was in charge of him.

Their paths cross as the young agent follows a theory that her case might be linked to one similar that occured in 1996. A presidential candidate was shot and killed whilst in the care of our older lead, a situation that lead to his being asked to leave the service, discraced.

They end up working together, as someone has started killing people our older lead knows and/or have something to do with the original case.
Skelletons start falling out of cupboards as the story progresses, seemingly to the annoyance of the killer.

I have read one or two US secret service based tales recently and so perhaps for me the genre is a bit tired. I did enjoy the book although it did initially seem to move a little slowly, caught up in a lot of prose and discriptive writing. As the story began to pick up pace, I was more than half way through, so this gives an indication of it's general speed.

The lead characters were nicley written and seemed to have all the normal "All American" education and good looks. I was a little disappointed about the way the other characters' lives were unfolded. There was not the attention to detail I would have liked. I appreciate the author was probably trying not to give his story's ending away but even so I would have liked a bit more about the other characters' lives.

As the story gathered it's final momentum, I was left reeling a little. The way clues were intercepted and discovered was explained but the reader was really given no hint as to where the tale might be going and I did rather lose interest and started to skim read near the end.

This said, I was fighting the sand man demons at about 2am on a Saturday/Sunday, courtesy of a posessed pair of geese calling to one another and a pigeon scarer/banger that was on a 20 second loop - oh the joys of the rural English countryside!!! Maybe if I had another chance to read it in the realms of normal daylight, I might have given it 4 stars.... next stop The Collectors....

4.0 out of 5 stars Shocking Publisher, 21 Dec 2011
This review is from: Split Second (Kindle Edition)
As a fan of Lee Child, and having read all his books I thought I'd try David Baldacci, a very similar author as it turns out. Not quite the cutting edge of Lee Child, but a good read if you like this genre. My biggest complaint is to the publisher who should be ashamed, appalling grammatical errors making it unreadable in places (you have to figure it out!!), missing words and around chapter 26 a complete paragraph missing!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Split Second Review, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Split Second (Kindle Edition)
This book is one of the best reads I've had for ages, suspense all the way, great car chase, and no idea who the killer is until its revealed near the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Baldacci but strange ending., 20 Sep 2011
Split Second introduces King & Maxwell and demonstrates David Baldacci's ability to create believable loveable characters. The book also showcases his ability to weave a complex interconnected plot from seemingly disparate threads.

It is definitely more in the criminal investigation rather than thriller genre and is enthralling and very readable. That said, the finale will have you wondering what on earth he was thinking, but, actually, if you accept it as a criminal investigation book rather than a thriller, then it is acceptable!

3.0 out of 5 stars The last 100 pages spoil this book, 6 May 2004
Sebastian Fernandez (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Split Second (Hardcover)
When I was approximately half through the book I was riding in an elevator with the book in my hands and another guy pointed at it and said "Not one of his best". I looked at him as if he was crazy, since the book had me reading every second I could get and was looking very promising.
When I reached page 300 I completely understood that comment, the plot turns into something so farfetched that it made me want to throw the book away. I am not sure what the author and the editors were thinking. The only reason why I give this book 3 stars instead of 1 is because the first 3/4 of it are really good.
Anyway, my final recommendation is: Don't waste your time!

4.0 out of 5 stars quality introduction to new characters, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Split Second (Kindle Edition)
Having read other books by David Baldacci this series of characters won't disappointed if you like your easy reading thrillers. Twists and action all the way

5.0 out of 5 stars How is Baldacci able to maintain this standard, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Split Second (Kindle Edition)
It doesn't matter which of his books you read, they are all full of twists and turns that you do not expect

Split Second (King & Maxwell)
Split Second (King & Maxwell) by David Baldacci (Paperback - 25 Mar 2014)
8.75