4.0 out of 5 stars Death of Yesterday
An employee of a clothing factory at Cnothan disappears. She has reported to Hamish Macbeth that she cannot remember anything about an evening she spent in a pub and believes her drink was spiked. Even though Hamish hadn't particularly liked the woman he has to take notice when she disappears especially when the only possible witness has also disappeared as well...
Published on 1 Mar. 2013 by Damaskcat

3.0 out of 5 stars Another good read, and happy to buy the book, but
..I wasn't sure how well written this was. The sentences were short and not as usually descriptive I thought, as if an over zealous editor, edited too much leaving the bare bones.
Good enough yarn, but not the greatest book in the series.
Published on 3 Mar. 2013 by Cordelia

3.0 out of 5 stars Another good read, and happy to buy the book, but, 3 Mar. 2013
Good enough yarn, but not the greatest book in the series.
I love Hamish, I really do, but there was something missing. The usual characters were mentioned,but didn't really come to life. It may be me of course.

Just read M CBeatons, newest very short story featuring Agatha Raisin, and that was surprisingly good, very short, but well written ( not the Christmas pudding one, off point I know, but worth a mention )

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Jun. 2013
I was so pleased when I discovered the Hamish Macbeth series and have enjoyed following Hamish's adventures but the last couple of books in the series have been disappointing. I've realised that there's a similar plot to most of them and if you are a regular reader you'll know how the last couple of chapters will pan out. Hamish's love life is also becoming boring and if he ever does settle down it will take some convincing that he's found true love at last because he just seems attach himself to whoever is convenient at the time. M C Beaton is still a great writer and there are glimpses of this in her descriptions of the highlands but I'm afraid this series needs a bit of a shake up for it to get back to the level of the first stories.

2.0 out of 5 stars Past its prime, 7 Aug. 2013
I enjoyed the early books of the series very much. But have to admit that the quality of these later ones is not what it was. The series is in my opinion dying by inches, as quality is sacrificed for quantity.
Why cant he finaly get together with Pricilla and give us a credible ending before he draws his pension and becomes as unlikly as Dixon of Dock Green.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read for fans, 23 Mar. 2013
Another enjoyable HMcB book. Have to say Ms Beatons huge output across a number of genres is beginning to take its toll on the standard and the ending was simply ludicrous. Not sure I will bother again. Shame because I've enjoyed her work on this highland setting until now.

2.0 out of 5 stars death of yesterday, 22 Jun. 2013
S. J. Ross (london, England) - See all my reviews
i found that this book was not one of m.c.beaton's best. the plot was a bit weak, the characters did not seem to gel as easily together as the usually do in her books and the romances between Priscilla and Elspeth were just that little bit too contrived

4.0 out of 5 stars Death of Yesterday, 1 Mar. 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Plagued by his superiors who do not want to upset their friends Hamish finds his investigations blocked at every turn and he is soon excluded from the investigation when two bodies turn up. Then he has a misguided idea to take the sister of a suspect out for a meal and he may just have made a mistake which will cost him his job.

I enjoyed this many stranded mystery and totally failed to work out who the murderer was. I felt it did flag a little in the middle and there were a few places where I thought the writing could have been better but it was still an enjoyable read and the series characters are always interesting. This is a must read for Hamish Macbeth fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 16 Jan. 2014
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm not sure if I've read too many of this back to back or not but I did not find this or the previous book (Death Of A Kingfisher) as good as the others. The plot is still convoluted but not as subtle so instead of being kept guessing till the end it was all a bit obvious. I also felt the sly humour was lacking as Hamish gets grumpier and more self absorbed. It's still a good read but like Angela's scones it lacks a lightness of touch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Near Death by Disappointment, 29 Jun. 2013
This book from a series that inspired me to visit Scotland was eagerly awaited but, as suspected, poor Hamish has his life tailored to fit the required length of the book - probably the necessity to provide one of these a year. Love Sonsie and Lugs but even they appear to be an afterthought and given the minimum of attention to keep them alive in the series readers' minds. My little group of Hamish fans (the books get passed round) were all of the opinion that, having waited eagerly for this one, we were all disappointed. This is one series that I buy in hardback for the beautiful Francis Farmer cover paintings so felt doubly cheated by the Scottish Viewpoint photograph. Fingers crossed that the same isn't going to happen to Agatha Raisin...

4.0 out of 5 stars Beaton still has her "touch" but can we get something new for Hamish?, 8 Jun. 2014
Billy J. Hobbs "Bill Hobbs" (Tyler, TX USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It’s the 29th episode in M.C. Beaton’s Hamish Macbeth mystery series. And like all the other 28, this one’s just like the rest. In “Death of Yesterday,” we find the Scottish villages around Lochdubh in the Scottish Highlands are aghast at yet another murder.
That said, each episode brings with it eternal optimism and, ordinarily, great interest and anticipation.
Who will the murderer be? How can the victim be any more objectionable? Will Macbeth marry Priscilla (or Elspeth), or ANYbody? Will he lose his job to that dastardly superintendent Blair?
But who of her fans really care? Fans love this series and despite every aspect of the story being ever so predictable, Beaton keeps entertaining us. Light, fast paced, good descriptions of Scotland its local people, these episodes rarely fail to disappoint the faithful. With the exception of the Christmas story, her titles are even more predictable: “Death of a ____” and you just fill in the noun!
This time a snobbish outsider (she’s up from London) is found murdered and off we go. But before we find (and arrest the killer), we re-visit all of Sergeant Macbeth’s habits, haunts, and hilarities. Again, though, it is Macbeth who manages to wade through it all and, again, the dread Scot decision rules the day.
Granted, for her loyal supporters my comments here are no doubt heresy, but if I didn’t think the series was worth the reading effort, I would not have read every episode. I do like Macbeth—I just wish Beaton would break out of this fixed mold and surprise us for a change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Always a cosy listen, 29 July 2013
I'm not much of a cozy mystery reader, but there are a few series I quite enjoy and follow faithfully.

M.C. Beaton writes a number of series, but it is the Hamish MacBeth mysteries that have me hooked. Lately, I've chosen to only listen to them. The latest, Death of Yesterday, is the 29th in the series.

Sergeant Hamish MacBeth lives and works in the small Scottish village of Lochdubh. When Morag, a secretary at a local clothing factory reports that she was drugged and her sketchbook stolen when she was at the local pub, Hamish does, of course, interview her. But, Morag is distinctly unlikable and he isn't looking forward to following up with her. Until she's found murdered.....

Not much changes in the village or in Beaton's stories, but I find great comfort in listening to familiar characters. Inspector Blair is still determined to best Hamish, but continues to fail miserably. The quirky Currie sisters sisters, local shopkeepers and other familiar inhabitants of the village are all comforting to revisit. And of course Hamish's love life - will he ever choose between Elspeth and Priscilla? The addition of Dick Fraser as a live in copper at the station was fun - there's more to Dick than meets the eye.

The Morag plot line becomes quite involved with numerous threads. The addition of other small cases along the way were an added bonus. Hamish is quick to let others take credit for his crime solving - he doesn't want to leave the quiet and comfort of Lochdubh.

And why do I only listen to the Hamish books? Well, one of my favourite readers is the narrator. Graeme Malcolm has personified the character for me over the years. He is Scottish himself, so the accent is spot on, but easy to understand. His voice is full and sonorous and quite expressive.

Those looking for a quirky, cosy little series would find it here.

Death of Yesterday (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
Death of Yesterday (Hamish Macbeth Mystery) by M. C. Beaton (Hardcover - 26 Mar. 2013)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available