5.0 out of 5 stars Message for Lauren
Published 5 months ago by Blamhappy

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting enough read.
Published 1 month ago by Ben

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting enough read., 23 July 2014
This review is from: Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church (Hardcover)
I was tempted by the book having harboured an interest since I was introduced (much like others) by Louis Theroux to the WBC. The book is an easy read, but you gain very little with regards to the church itself. In fact there's very little that's not already touched on by Louis in his documentaries. As one of the few outside families bought into the WBC, Laurens story does offer an interesting perspective but for me this only really captured me after she was kicked out. Perhaps I hoped for too much from the book, looking for some light on a bewildering group of people I was never going to gain? I don't know, it just felt a little empty.
That aside its hard not to sympathise with Lauren, despite all the despicable things she has done, she was still a child when introduced to this way of life.
Read the book if Americas most notorious family interest you, otherwise there's not really a story here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Message for Lauren, 10 April 2014
I have even more heartfelt sympathy for Lauren now than I already did - after reading her book, it showed me that cult was even more messed up than I realised, and Lauren must have had a dreadful time in her years living in it! It's terrible that her parents got so caught up in it that they don't even love their own daughter anymore and have disowned her - that's when religion gets it completely wrong, and shame on the westboro baptist 'church'! poor girl, I hope she's finally found peace and happiness in her life with her new husband! xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - a good read, 21 Mar 2014
I have always had a morbid interested in this fanatical group and Lauren's book gives good insight into their ways. Obviously it's written from her viewpoint but it's quite balanced - unlike the WBC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 May 2013
I followed the Westboro story since Louis Theroux's first documentary many years back. I found the concept so twisted that I just had to find out all about the church. Lauren Drain offers an expertly crafted, first hand story on her life before, during and after the church. Moving, touching and amazingly detailed. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 April 2013
Could not put it down!
Been interested in the Westboro Baptist Church since Louis Theroux covered them on a documentary, as I can't understand them.
This book was fascinating and loved hearing about Lauren's time with the WBC, but also how she's doing now.
Glad to hear she's now normal, sorry that she's lost her siblings though. :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insights into the workings of cult, 11 Mar 2013
Banished is a story of a father being a family into a cult and the control they have over their members. Parts of it are very disturbing. I believe Lauren has written the book to reach out to her family which are still members of the cult. I found the book well written and easy to read. Great read to gain insights into mind control and group think that goes on in cults. I would recommend this book.

Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church
Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church by Lisa Pulitzer (Hardcover - 5 Mar 2013)
15.66