Published 16 months ago by britgirl

2.0 out of 5 stars second part better than the first
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab story! My first by this author, but certainly not the last., 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin) (Mass Market Paperback)
Jonas Merrick, a scarred man lives a reclusive life in his home in Cornwall. He's surprised to see the beautiful Miss Sidonie Forsythe on his doorstep one night. She's there to settle the 'debt' her gambling addict sister, Roberta, the Viscountess Hilbrook owes him. Knowing she nor her sister have the funds, and Roberta's abusive husband will harm her if he finds out, Sidonie offers herself instead. Jonas is drawn to her, but is unwilling to deal with Sidonie, and says the debt is Roberta's. He is the bastard son of the former Viscount Hilbrook and a Spanish woman called Consuela. He deliberatly set out to take revenge on his cruel stepbrother, William, the new Viscount Hilbrook, not caring if his wife gets in the way. But Sidonie won't take no for an answer, and between them, they come up with a plan. Jonas has one week to make Sidonie come to him willingly and not just to pay a debt. If she doesn't succumb, he will consider the debt null and void.

During this time, both come close, and Sidonie finds herself wanting to know more about this scarred man. But Jonas has put walls around his heart after a lot of emotional and physical torment over the years, making Sidonie's curiosity harder to appease. He feels things for her he's never felt before, and isn't sure at first what these feelings are, but realises what he wants when the seven days are up...Sidonie's love.

Sidonie wants to be with him too, but she leaves, needing to be certain of her feelings before committing to anything. After all, it's only been a week. She also discovers something about Jonas which makes her want to tell him, but knowing it will have repercussions for her sister, keeps it a secret.

When Roberta is out of danger, Sidonie believes everything will be all right. But then Jonas is accused of a crime he didn't commit, and he learns of Sidonie's deception. Can Sidonie free her man and convince him of her love?

Overall, the story was very good. I loved unravelling Jonas' past, and I automatically fell for this man. We also learn of Jonas' two friends, one of which is the protagonist of the next story in the series.

4.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable!, 29 Mar 2014
A great story, good characters and beautifully written. The male protagonist is an atypical anti-hero and has met his match in the strong female character. The naughty sex scenes don't hurt either. I can't wait for book 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable!, 23 Mar 2014
S. Lacey (Annalong) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this and loved the main characters! Jonas was initially painted as a selfish and bad character but we see he's a much better person then even he believes. I love Sidonie as well, she makes a couple of mistakes in her dealing with Jonas towards the end by withholding important information from him and breaking a promise but she had her reasons. She was a strong character and I loved watching Jonas break down her resistance towards him and then Sidonie turning the tables and beating his defences down!

They were meant to be and made each other better people. I didn't much like the little we seen of Sidonie's older sister Roberta. Obviously William (Jonas's cousin) was the villain of the story and he was easy to hate given his treatment of people. I did like Jonas's old school chums Cam and Richard though we only seen a little of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars a sexy romantic gothic tale, 1 Oct 2012
This is a lovely book. I don't usually read historical romance but I will definately read more by this author. The story centres around a beauty and the beast romance between Sidonie, a young women and Jonas Merrick, a sexy but scarred rich man. Sidonie offers to settle the financial debt of her beloved sister by agreeing to spend 7 nights with Merrick.

A spooky house, brave heroine and damaged hero add gothic elements to this book, but what really grabs you is the passion and love that develops between the two characters. You cannot help being grabbed by their story. A definate must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and sexy!, 29 Oct 2012
Caz "So many books, so little time..." (Frinton-on-Sea) - See all my reviews
There were a few things that didn't quite work for me in this book, but on the whole it was an engaging and often sexy read.
I think the problem with "Beauty and the Beast" stories like this one is that the Beast has to be sufficiently beastly whilst being attractive to both the heroine and the reader - and that is a difficult balance to find. Unfortunately, I don't think the author got it quite right in this case. If Merrick had been as cruel and unfeeling as she would have us believe, he would, surely have taken his `payment` without compunction. Instead, he is immediately compassionate and ultimately intrigued enough by Sidonie to allow her to remain untouched and to strike a bargain with her.

That said however, it seems to me that what we have in our Beast is someone who is so convinced of his lack of goodness and finer feeling that he is determined to live up to his public image for profligacy and ruthlessness. His scars are not just physical, which is not at all surprising given what we later learn of his childhood and he's a good man beneath all the self-loathing and the cynicism.

I enjoyed the way the relationship between Merrick and Sidonie developed. There was plenty of verbal sparring and lots of sexual tension; and I felt that it was very important that when the pair finally `did the deed' , Merrick had released Sidonie from her obligation so she could make her own choice.

I have to say that I wasn't really over keen on all the blindfold sex, and confess to being somewhat incredulous at Sidonie's fast transformation from blushing virgin to a woman who felt reasonably confident tying her lover to the bed posts!
But then I suppose this IS a romance novel...

The final third of the book felt a little rushed and occasionally a little muddled; Sidonie suddenly made a miraculous recovery after spending three months hiding away, a shadow of her former self and follows Merrick all the way to Devon whereas before she'd barely had the energy to walk to the end of the street!

But of course, it all works out and our Beauty and her Beast get their hard-won HEA.

Despite my quibbles, I enjoyed the book. It's well written and the romance was well developed. Merrick was an extremely virile, attractive hero, despite his facial disfigurement and while I'm less enthusiastic about the character of Sidonie, on the whole I thought they were well matched.

This is the first in the "Sons of Sin" series, and I'll definitely be looking for the other titles on the strength of this one.

With thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the review copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot and sexy, 21 Feb 2013
I came by this title accidently and then had to get the book as it is not available on kindle. This is a keeper. i could not put it down and had it read in one day. Hot steamy and romantic, what more could a girl ask for. I have now purchased it for a friend and would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of book, 28 Jun 2013
Book did arrival on time. Book in good condition (compared to what indicated). Nothing to complain about the level of the services and the information mails - Happy with services.
Story not really that mind blowing - though the sexual tension etc is kinda ok. Noticed that books nowadays do follow a similar trend. Will rate a 3 for the content.

2.0 out of 5 stars second part better than the first, 20 Jan 2013
I was curious to read this book not for the title -- cheesy! -- but because I read couple of Mrs Campbell books before and I found them winning. Not really this one. It is a great idea for a story, but I found myself being quite irritated with the heroine -- she wasn't a very convinced character, changed her mind too often and then changed it back without a real explanation. Altogether, the second part of the story is much better than the first one.

ARRAY(0xa1306780)

Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin)
Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin) by Anna Campbell (Mass Market Paperback - 25 Sep 2012)
Used & New from: 0.01