I absolutely loved Kirsten Callihan's debut novel Firelight so have been looking forward to reading the second book in the series Moonglow ever since. Firelight was a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast but I didn't notice any similarities with Moonglow so I don't think this is a re-telling of another fairytale. In the previous book we got to know Miranda and Archer but this instalment is Miranda's sister Daisy's story.

After the death of her husband Daisy is finally free of his control and looking forward to making a life for herself. She may be the subject of gossip amongst London society but she is determined to do what she wants and find some happiness. Ian is a werewolf who has lived away from his pack for a long time, he didn't want the responsibility of becoming alpha after the death of his father and chose to leave and let his brother take control. When Daisy witnesses a horrific werewolf attack Ian saves her life but he realises that she is still in danger and will need his protection. The pack should deal with the rogue werewolf but since they refuse to take action it is up to Ian to try and stop them before more innocent people are hurt.

I really enjoyed the banter between Ian and Daisy, they had great chemistry but it was the way they bickered and sparked off of each other that really had me hooked. I wasn't sure if I would like Ian much since all we'd seen of him before was him trying to split up Miranda and Archer but it didn't take me long to fall under his spell. As you find out more about his past and the loss of those he loved it is easy to see how he ended up feeling bitter towards Archer as he found happiness. It was good to see him come to terms with his past but also start to face the future and learn to love again.

I'd really liked all three sisters in the first book so I knew I would like Daisy and it was good to see her make her way now that she no longer had her husband around to cause trouble. We already know that Miranda has the ability to control fire but I enjoyed finding out about Daisy's powers and I liked the way these powers were explained. I'm now really looking forward to learning more in Poppy's book Winterblaze. It will be interesting to see how things play out between Poppy and her husband since they are already married but going through some problems.

Moonglow was just as atmospheric as Firelight and I really enjoy Kristen Callihan's writing style. I love the mixture of a dark and Gothic Victorian London along with paranormal creatures and am looking forward to continuing the series - I will be pre-ordering my copy of Winterblaze as soon as it is available on Amazon!
Daisy Ellis Craigmore is finally a widow. No longer must she deal with her late husband's abuse. Knowing long before his death that he husband would not ensure her welfare once he was gone, Daisy has used her undignified talent for dissecting smells to create several successful perfumes. However, Daisy never sold the formula for her personal scent. The unique scent is exclusively Daisy's. While attending a gala one evening, she is one of the people attacked by a vicious beast. It is only by chance that Daisy survives.

Lord Ian Ranulf, the Marquis of Northrup, has spent several lifetimes hiding his Lycan nature from society. He is nearby when the screaming begins. The mad werewolf is gone by the time Ian gets to the scene of attack. He is shocked to find a survivor among the bloody carnage. To keep Daisy from revealing what had attacked her, Ian has Daisy taken to his home for care. (He used to be a doctor.) He soon learns that all the women that the beast has attacked had one thing in common; they each wore a perfume called "Daisy". Ian pledges to protect Daisy until the threat is neutralized. It is the duty of Clan Ranulf's to protect society from threat of their kind, yet the clan has done nothing. Ian is in self-chosen exile from the clan. His brother, Conall, currently sits upon the Lycan throne. Even so, the duty has fallen upon Ian to protect London from the insane werewolf. That means keeping Daisy close. There are joined in their quest to unmask the villain by Daisy's sister, Lady Miranda Archer, who can manipulate fire, and her husband, Lord Benjamin Archer, who is Lycan. Daisy seems to be the only one in the group without some sort of supernatural ability. It is also up to Daisy to keep the peace, because there are hard feelings between Ian, Benjamin, and Miranda. But the power in Daisy's family line usually only appears when the person is under extreme duress ... and Daisy is certainly under a lot of stress lately.

**** FOUR STARS! This may be the second title in the Darkest London Series, but you do not have to read the first book to fully enjoy this story. The first book is titled Firelight (Darkest London) and tells the story between Miranda and Lord Archer. The third title involves the eldest sister, Poppy, who plays a small role in this adventure. However, Poppy's husband is Inspector Winston Lane and he plays a huge part in this story. He is ignorant of the supernaturals around him and not part of Daisy's investigating group.

Author Kristen Callihan has given more information on the Lycan background and the reader learns more about the Lycan hierarchy. It is not a very pretty picture either. Backgrounds of all the major and secondary characters are well developed. The plot is solid and the writing style flows smoothly. This story owes me a night of sleep. ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
on 23 August 2012
Moonglow by Kristen Callihan has a lot to live up to. No one could have the first book in the Darkest London series (Firelight) to be so good or do so well. I eagerly waited for my chance to read the sequel. I needed to know is Callihan could do it again and oh boy she most certainly did. There is no need to be concerned or nervous because Moonglow does not disappoint. Some (maybe me) might even think it is better than Firelight.

I really loved this book. It was grim and grimy as Victorian London should be. It was full of suspense, humour and swoon worthy romance. There is even a very welcome touch of steampunk in there. The storylines and plot weave together perfectly the book as a whole is well paced and well put together.

The characters are quite simply amazing. Daisy is the type of girl I want to be. She is smart and strong but has a soft and vulnerable side as well. She is funny, witty and terribly quick. She is passionate and caring. She is without doubt impossible to dislike.

Ian however in the beginning is dislikeable. In fact at first I wasn't sure how I was going to get behind him at all. He is sarcastic, big headed and at times horrible. He is the type of man that women should actively avoid. Yet despite all that I very quickly found myself liking him. He is infuriatingly attractive and brilliant. Also he is trying to hide a history that is full of pain, he has a soft side and when that was unleashed neither poor Daisy nor me stood a chance.
Without a doubt the best thing about this book is the romance. It is a slow burner that is full of UST that gets under your skin. So often characters are just thrown together, they just fall in love and we, the reader, just accept that. In Moonglow you can see why Ian and Daisy fall in love. They match one another perfectly. The chemistry between them sizzles and despite a few moments of uncertainty and frustration they seem to understand one another and instinctively know what the other needs. It makes you rush through the pages in a state of anticipation just waiting for them to get together, because you know that when they do it will be right and it will be oh so good.

I would love to give this book a 5 out of 5 star rating but I can't. It was a little predictable and I would have liked there to be a little more time dedicating to Daisy and her powers. Also the end felt a little rushed (but it was a great ending so I forgive it completely.)

I enjoyed this book immensely. It was spooky, funny, engaging and full of swoon worthy moments. It is without doubt the best PNR book I have read this year. I cannot wait for the next book in the
on 7 December 2014
Originally given 4.5 hearts at Rookie Romance.

I am loving this series so far. I read Firelight fairly recently and was immediately absorbed into the world Kristen Callihan builds. There's basically a supernatural underground in London, filled with all kinds of creatures. I love that you're not thrown head first into this world, but it's built up slowly with details fed into the story as necessary. This was was a great sequel and I'd so been looking forward to Daisy's story. I was particularly thrilled to see Ian Ranulf reappear in this book as the hero!

Daisy had a horrible marriage to a much older man who abused and belittled her at every opportunity. Now she's a widower and free to enjoy her life as she sees fit...unfortunately a werewolf interrupts her first foray into fun by brutally slaughtering the man she was with. Daisy also becomes something of a target for the werewolf, and needs protection- and that's where Ian comes in. Daisy's such an easy character to like. She is a strong-willed and determined woman, with vulnerabilities she hides beneath a carefree demeanour.

Ian is a werewolf, but he takes great pains to control his were urges. Ian may have come across as kind of an ass in the previous book but he more than redeems himself in this one. He's had a pretty traumatic past, and my heart hurt for him on numerous occasions. I loved how determined Ian was to protect Daisy from the werewolf hunting her and the other werewolves in London who are not quite as friendly as him, shall we say.

Ian and Daisy had a fantastic chemistry and I loved them together. At first they're wary of each other, and Daisy is especially wary since Ian tried to seduce Miranda (her sister) many times in the previous book. Soon, they connect on more than just a physical level, and I loved the intimacy that develops between them.

Overall, Moonglow is another awesome addition to the Darkest London series. The engaging plot, steamy romance and skillful world-building all add to the utter swoon-worthiness that is Moonglow. Bring on Winterblaze, because I must read Poppy and Winston's story!
on 15 September 2012
Firelight is up there as one of my favourite books of 2012 and its sequel Moonglow wont be too far behind. Kristen Callihan really does write the most amazingly good blend of paranormal and historical romance, full of sexual tension, suspense and all out passion.

I would recommend that you read Firelight first, it makes sliding into Moonglow's Victorian era with a paranormal twist so much easier. Moonglow is Daisy (Miranda's sister) and Ian Ranulf the Earl of Marquis's story. I liked Daisy she's independent, feisty and passionate and her banter with Ian turned the sexual tension up a few extra notches. Ian was protective and a little bit swoon worthy (despite not liking him one bit in Firelight). The exiled alpha were has sworn never again to have a relationship with a mortal but when Daisy finds herself in danger from a diseased werewolf Ian steps in to protect her and they work together to search for and capture the sick but deadly werewolf.

I like the clever mixture of suspense and mystery, sexual tension and romance in Moonglow. It never feels like too many elements in the mix even with the historical background and the expanding and intriguing paranormal element added in. The twisty plot certainly kept me on my toes but it was the main characters and their romance that kept me reading. Overall, Moonglow is a really good follow up, maybe not quite as immediately outstanding as Firelight, but definitely one to add to my keeper shelf. One little thing and it is just a little thing, I wasn't too keen on Daisy's ending. Ultimately though it's a series everyone who likes a good paranormal romance should read.
on 4 September 2012
This series of high action, high romance, historical paranormal romances in the beautiful Gothic setting of late nineteenth century London, is swiftly becoming a favourite of mine. It's often the case that when a series starts out really well, as this one did with Firelight, the follow-ups are almost inevitably a disappointment. Especially if the best character pairings were used in the first book. I was hoping and praying this wouldn't be the case with Moonglow, but my outlook was gloomy since I hadn't developed any great love for Ian, one of the main characters, in book one.

In Firelight Ian played the role of antagonist to Miranda and Archer's relationship, throwing a spanner in the works at every given opportunity, and generally being a pest. Although, even then it was clear he wasn't as bad as he wanted people to believe him to be. But, nevertheless, his interference and general attitude didn't endear him to me, so I began Moonglow with slight trepidation. And at the start of the book, his constant talk of whoring-- particularly with red-headed, green-eyed prostitutes-- didn't help his cause much. He tells the readers early on how he had fancied himself in love with Miranda (who is red-headed and green-eyed). And why not? She is stunningly beautiful, after all. But it is later revealed that his obsession with red-haired women stems from something much further back than we were led to believe, and he has a past that may make you forgive him for all of his sins.

I ended up enjoying Ian's character immensely. He was a lot more complex, gentle and caring than you'd have ever suspected. And he has a cheeky wit and rakish charm. His werewolf mythology that was explored was interesting and showed a new way of looking at immortality. It's not always a bonus for a race that has few females and a very low birth-rate. What's the point of living forever if you're destined to be alone?

Daisy, our other lead character, was wonderful also. She's Miranda's older sister and has been in a loveless, sexless marriage for the last six years to a complete pig. At the beginning of the story she's just finishing up her year of mourning his death (bah!) and wearing black to keep societies' tongues from wagging, and is looking forward to finally being free, throwing caution to the wind...and possibly getting a little som'n, som'n. She's a lady with a healthy appetite for pleasure- something her late husband never failed to make her feel dirty about- but that's in her past. No one is going to tell her what to do, say, wear or how to behave ever again! She's even more 'no nonsense' than Miranda was, if you can believe that. She's having absolutely none of it from charming rogue Ian. And he just doesn't know what's hit him when they meet. Miranda who?

I enjoyed their developing romance. The obstacles that were put in their way were believable and there were several really charming scenes, as well as the obligatory scorching hot ones, and some heartbreakingly tender ones. Moonglow had a slightly different feel to it than Firelight in that both Daisy and Ian worked together to solve a mystery, rather than one of the characters themselves being the mystery. This gave us some great scenes as their relationship developed.

I did find some of the descriptions of the seedier side of London, the side that Ian had previously been revelling in, rather crude and vulgar at times. All the talk of whores and such. Speaking of the seedier side, there was an appearance by the street thug Billy Fingers whom you might remember from Miranda's days on the streets in Firelight. I swear I have no idea what that man is saying. I'm a Brit, I can understand Cockney Rhyming Slang and the colloquial language of Londoners, even if it's not from this century I can usually decipher it, but what comes out of Billy's mouth is unlike any slang I've ever heard. It doesn't even make sense half the time. Oh well.

In summation, I'd say the romance side of things was just as compelling as book one. I also enjoyed some of the new world-building elements that were introduced, including the GIMs, this mysterious 'Mother' person, and several other things I shall keep schtum about for now, and it was altogether a great sequel and highly enjoyable.

If you loved book one, you will love this one, too. Go forth and enjoy!

4 Stars ★★★★
Review Copy: Received from the publisher for an honest review
on 14 February 2014
I loved the first one Firelight and that made me go straight out and buy this one the same day i finished the first. I love the characters, the writing style and the sex is not overly graphic or unbelievable. This is the first time I have come across a book of this genre actually writing in a STD into the plot line, quite remarkable and realistic!
on 21 September 2012
I am now completly into this series, this is my favortite one so far. I don't want to explain the plot as it will ruin it.
All i know is I loved the dynamics of Daisy & Ian, This book has humour,sadness,loss,'hold your breath' excitement, romance and a bit of the rude stuff.
Kirsten, I need you to hurry up with the new one please!!
on 17 February 2014
I really enjoy this series, this is the second book, Daisy, the middle sisters story. She and Ian get together in this book have quite an adventure but I love it cause we learn about Ian's past and Daisy's. They really were well matched and had great chemistry between them!
on 4 February 2014
The storyline is very well drawn and has you empathizing with the characters throughout the book. Will definitely put it in my favourites and enjoy reading it again.