4.0 out of 5 stars Book 4, 11 Mar 2014
I wondered if I would struggle with this book, as I loved the first three so much and how the burgeoning relationship between Maddie, Tara and Chloe was woven through the first three books.

Mallory Quinn plays it safe. Is a good girl, taking care of everyone else and devoting her life to this.

Mysterious Cute Guy, AKA Ty Garrison, is solitary, does not want involvement, no connections!

They both carry the emotional scars from the past, and the guilt of that has led them down the path they are both treading!

So what happens when Mallory decided she does not want to play it safe, be the good girl, always thinking of others?

At first, I struggled to connect with Mallory, mainly as I was missing the sisters! The whole "Chocoholics" thing with Amy and Grace felt almost forced, as if to recreate the magic that was interwoven through the first three books with the sisters.

But, in saying that, after the first 20% or so, I was drawn into the story of Mallory and Ty (although I do wish we had had more glimpses of the first 3 couples! They are all of an age in a small town, surely they would be friends!!).

Again, as with the other Jill Shalvis books, it is a lovely heart-warming, almost gentle read about two souls overcoming their own demons and issues and realising they belong with each other, with a great set of secondary characters and a great setting, it makes for a fun, light, relaxing read.

However, maybe because I have read the first 4 ( well, 4.5 books if you count the little Christmas novella) one after the other, I am noticing slight little niggles!

It is like, when you first start going out with a boyfriend you really really like! That first rush of joy and almost giddiness for having found something you can love, you just do not notice faults. But after a few weeks or months, do you still love the boyfriend? Well, probably, but you are noticing the faults, the little niggles that annoy you!

I have started to spot the book equivalent of leaving the toilet seat up or dirty socks on the floor! Is it a dealbreaker? No, does it make you grit your teeth ever so slightly for a few seconds in annoyance! Yes.

I pointed this out at the end of book 3! But details details details! If you mention someone has brothers in one book, when you get to their book, make it so they have brothers! if they have blonde hair, keep it blonde, not change it to brown etc!

In this book, it is said that the nurse Lance has been seeing for a few months is called Nancy! In book 3, when he first started seeing the nurse, she was called Renee. (and it was not told as if it was a different woman, and given Lance's situation, and it is said in this book they have been together for a few months, I will assume it is meant to be the same nurse!)

Also, Ty, during a flashback dream, mentions he got to one of his friends first, Kelly who was already dead. Later on in the story, when he is telling this to Mallory, it is Tommy he got to who was already dead.

Now, little things like this may not be an issue for other people! But for me it pulls me out of the story, and I am thinking "Wait..what..but I thought...?" and then I have to go back pages, or go back to another book to check the facts!

But, it is still a 4 star! And I am going to carry on and read what I have on my kindle, as I already have book 5, 6 and 6.5 waiting to read, and I am determined to read what I have before I buy any more!

But, I will have a Jill Shalvis break after that, so as those little annoying niggles do not get blown up to a real annoyance and then I have to have an author/reader break up! I love Jill Shalvis, she has a formula that works and that I really like! But even too much of a good thing can be too much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Harbor book 4, 10 July 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lucky in Love: Number 4 in series (Lucky Harbor) (Mass Market Paperback)
4.5 Stars

I love the first 3 books in Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series so was looking forward to picking up Lucky in Love. Anyone who read the earlier books will know to expect a sweet and steamy romance which is full of humour and is just generally a fun read and that is exactly what you get with this book. You don't have to have read the first 3 books in order to enjoy Lucky in Love but this is such a wonderful series that I would highly recommend you do. The first 3 books are centred around sisters Maddie, Tara and Chloe but although they are mentioned a couple of times in this book we don't actually see them. This is the start of a new trilogy set in the same town and focusing on budding friends and fellow chocoholics Mallory, Amy and Grace. Each of these women have their own set of problems and will find their happy ever after in one of the books.

Up first is Mallory, she is a strong and caring woman, someone who has spent her whole life looking out for others and trying to keep her family together. Known as the Lucky Harbor good girl she is the one that everyone turns to when they need help but for once she wants to do something bad - something that is just about making herself feel good. Amy and Grace decide that what Mallory really needs is to bring out her inner bad girl and find herself a Mr Wrong, someone who is going to bring fun and passion into her life. Ty is staying in Lucky Harbor while he recuperates from an injury, he is determined to get back to his life in the military as quickly as possible and has no intention of staying in the small town any longer than he has to. Known around the town as Mysterious Cute Guy he is the perfect candidate for Mallory's Mr Wrong but can she settle for just a bit of fun without getting her heart broken in the process?

The chemistry between Ty and Mallory was off the charts from the moment they met and considering that Mallory was attempting to find her inner bad girl this was probably the dirtiest book in the series so far. Both characters have their own issues that they need to deal with and are wary of getting into a relationship for different reasons but you can see from the beginning how perfect they are for each other. I love a military hero and Ty was perfect - he is alpha enough to be sexy as hell but deep down he's a softy, especially when it comes to Mallory. In the past Mallory has obviously been a bit of a push over, always willing to drop everything to help others and never putting herself first so it was really good to see her start to stand up for what she wanted. I loved seeing the reactions of other people around the town as she let go of her good girl persona for the first time.

I also really enjoyed the friendship that develops between Mallory, Amy and Grace. They were brought together in unlikely circumstances and bonded over their fear of the storm and thanks to a common love of chocolate. There is a lot less bickering between them than there was between the sisters in the earlier books, they still tease each other but they have chosen to be friends and have more in common than Maddie, Tara and Chloe so they don't spend so much time arguing. I'm dying to find out what the history is between Amy and sexy forest ranger Matt so I'm very pleased that their story is up next in At Last but I'm also curious to see who Grace finds love with.

This is a series I can't recommend highly enough to anyone who loves contemporary romance, if you're looking for a feel good story you can't go wrong with any of these books. Jill Shalvis has become a must buy author for me and after I've finished this series I'm looking forward to working my way through her back list titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the next book!!!, 3 May 2014
I love love love these books and can't wait to read the next one in the series. I love meeting all the residents of Lucky Harbor and finding out tidbits about all of them

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky in Love, 19 Mar 2014
I enjoyed the book and had trouble putting it down even though very predictable :-)
I have read five books from this series now and thought I would wait to read this book because of the predictability and heavy sex - it would be nice to have a bit less of both but read the books I have and enjoyed.
Saying that, I do love stories with a happy ending and Jill's books deliver that in spades - I also like the on going reference to the different residents in Lucky Harbour.
Book 5 in the series is all ready to be started :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great contemporary romance, 14 Sep 2013
Another good book about Lucky Harbor though I'm not as invested in the 3 girls' friendship as I was with the relationship between the 3 sisters in the first 3 books. I also really dislike the whole "town obsessed with Facebook" thing. Loved Ty/Mallory though.

Lucky in Love: Number 4 in series (Lucky Harbor)
Lucky in Love: Number 4 in series (Lucky Harbor) by Jill Shalvis (Mass Market Paperback - 5 July 2012)
Used & New from: 0.01