5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful, Inspiring Resource Book
Not a conventional book of patterns, but a wonderful resource book for the adventurous crocheter who wants to create their own unique amigurumi personalities. The front of the book says 'Make Cute Crochet People' and I wonder if should say 'A wonderful resource to customize your own crochet people'.

The book gives the How To for each stage of the doll making...
Published 11 months ago by Textile Figure Artist

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected but ok
Published 5 days ago by Felicity Boardman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful, Inspiring Resource Book, 17 May 2014
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)

The book gives the How To for each stage of the doll making process, so that everyone can make their own customized characters, but it does not contain specific patterns for individual characters. So,if you wanted a pattern book that shows you step-by-step how to make Mr.T or Tina Turner, for example, as shown on the front cover, then you may be disappointed.

The book is divided into sections for heads of different size and shapes; bodies; clothes embroidered faces etc. with a lovely introduction at the beginning that explains the designer, Allison Hoffman's journey into crochet.

There is also a resources section at the back and useful tips about stuffing etc. Though I would also add that cloth figure stuffing forks should be included as a useful tool and I couldn't locate the information about where exactly to purchase the doll safety eyes she recommends (though I found some online).
I'm also learning some great new techniques.
So, I adore this book and am really excited about making my own characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Unique!, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
Having admired Allison's work for several moths of following her site after the sensation she kicked up with the Doctor Who dolls, I was thrilled to learn she was in the process of writing a book.

I purchased several of the doctor patterns from her site and made a few alterations mainly with colour changes to create other people and characters from the basic doll pattern but this book opens up a whole new world of AmiguruMe. Their are patterns for just about any combination of clothing you can think of and several body shapes to choose from.

AmiguruMe is a triumph for the novice to intermediate crocheted and gives you limitless potential to create a never ending collection of dolls

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected but ok, 20 April 2015
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
I expected there to be instructions on how to tweak the pattern for different people. But basically there are just set patterns- narrow, long face or short, round face- so if you want a different face shape, you will need to either mould it with the stuffing or write your own pattern. Also, I wanted all the clothes to be removable but this book caters for the clothes staying on and as such are crocheted into their body. I got round this by just using one colour but now have to make my own patterns up for all the other clothes as there isn't enough in the book (only like a blazer). Some good inspiration but when I completed a doll with a smaller hook than suggested, it actually came out a bit bigger than I'd wanted so I will end up making my own patterns instead. Also, as I wanted to crochet a couple standing next to each other with big differences in height, it would look silly when they will come out both the same height pretty much. I would recommend if you have no prior knowledge of crochet as it's very easy and has instructions for all the stitches, and I don't regret buying it as there are some good pictures of the people which always gives inspiration. I especially like the idea of using little beads and craft wire to make jewellery!x

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Worth It, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
An amazing book, absolutely worth the money. The instructions are clear and generally easy to follow, including detailed explanations of the different stitches used. Since the patterns show you how to make different components of figures rather than specific people, there's literally endless possibilities. Allison also provides some options for alterations or variations in the patterns, and I also found it easy to adapt the patterns and experiment, like turning a cardigan into a v-neck jumper or combining the blazer and skirt patterns to make a graduation robe.

One tiny issue I found was that one pattern said there was a hood that could be added on, but I couldn't find the instructions any where in the book. This was unfortunately left out, but a quick google search led me straight to a pdf download of the missing pattern.

All in all, a wonderful purchase for an increasingly avid crocheter and a newcomer to amigurumi :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good guide, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
This book is a good guide but I feel that it has wasted a few pages by covering some very basic stitches. The stitches that it does cover, I'm not sure that the instructions and methods transfer as well as being able to watch them being demonstrated on the likes of youtube due to most of the method being the way you turn your hook and how the yarn crosses or is worked.
Other than this the patterns for the actual dolls are easy to follow. I did struggle with finding yarn the right shade for the flesh parts, this book does include a guide for this and recommends different yarn for types of skin but they were mostly American brands so it wasn't much use to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for individualised presents, 6 Nov. 2013
Rachel Bridgeman (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
This is more of a recipe book, a how to lesson on making poseable dolls based on people you know, people in the public eye etc. CraftyisCool(Alison Hoffman) has had great success in designing patterns based on such celebs as the Big Bang Theory crew, all 11 Doctor Who characters etc and now , with this book, shows you the endless permutations of the design so you can adapt and design your own dolls. These would make brillaint Christmas presents/leaving presents etc, somehting truly unique based on family memebers for example, or wedding presents for bride and groom. It's a fnatstic book with lovely, clear instructions (even a crochet novice like me can follow the plans!) and different designs for all body parts/clothes/accessories etc. This is fantastic also for stashbusters as most parts need little wool and you don't need lots of specialist equipment. A hook, some yarn and some imagination is all you need!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
Made a mini version of my husband using this book and he loves it! Clear instructions and you really can go wild and create anyone you want. Brilliant idea

5.0 out of 5 stars A creative buffet of crochet delights, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
Brilliant book. It's great to have a book of ideas instead of rigid rules. I'm really looking forward to making my first mini me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and fun!, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
Even though I preordered this book at it arrived to me quite late, I'm really excited to get started. Everything is explained so well and clearly! Can't wait to start crocheting some dolls for gifts. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, 10 Nov. 2013
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
This book is amazing! It is well written and easy to follow. I can't wait to crochet my own little people!

AmiguruME
AmiguruME by Allison Hoffman (Paperback - 7 April 2014)