4.0 out of 5 stars Play By Your Own Rules
After reading this story I realized the sad part about this book is that it might be someone's reality. Maybe yours, her's, his, or mine but it is someone's reality. Aside from that, this book is wonderful and creative! Cheating plots are done all the time, but this type of double life scenario is very uncommon. Millenia Black has put a daring new spin on modern family...
Published on 25 Jun 2007 by Jenny J.J.I.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced saga of deceit and tangled family relationships
What a saga of lies, deceit and tangled relationships!!

This plot revolves around the fact that a man commits bigamy and has two separate families,who live miles apart from each other. I disliked all of the adult characters in this book, as they all seemed to be driven by sex, selfishness and greed - which in fact, causes all of their problems! It is a very...
Published on 6 Dec 2011 by Leicsliz

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW!!!!, 22 Jun 2006
Heather Negahdar ""Haze"" (Bridgetown, Barbados) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
"Here they were in New York City.sitting in a beautiful and elegant suite with mauve silk on the walls, drinking hot French coffee from Italian coffeepots, and practically behaving as strangers."

This novel is well paced and I finished it in no time.

At the head of this story is Reginald Brooks the pretender. Reginald is able for many years to have two families, each unknown to the other. His wife Tracey and two daughters in Miami, and his mistress and daughter in Orlando. Reginald enjoys the best of both words greedily, until the day comes years after when guilt catches up with him and he wants to do away with his Orlando affair.

But how can a man after being seasoned into these relations for six years and making it work so effectively, suddenly pull the plug and let jack out of the box? It is going to be problematic and complex with many broken hearts, and so Reginald enlists the help of his good friend Franklyn. Is this a good idea? Read on and see how the sparks fly. A recommended page-turner!!!

Heather Marshall Negahdar ( SUGAR-CANE 19/06/06)

4.0 out of 5 stars a gripping story, 7 May 2007
CC7 (Berne, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. I had read the good reviews and wanted to see for myself if it was up to my expectations. It did not disappoint. The story is gripping, well narrated and with likable characters. It kept my interest until the very last page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational Novel!, 2 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
From the very start this story is compelling. A bunch of privilege people most of which are affected by the misdeed of one.
But you would never guess that things would ever turn out the way they did. From Reginald Brooks, to Roger Roman's wife Justine, Frank, Tracy and her daughters are all romantic victims that symbolizes human ungoing struggle with sexuality. Then bam!, this is for you to find out for yourself.
A real page turner and good to the last drop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Internal overthrow, 22 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
The Great Pretender, is a superb reminder that with the best intentions of men with his good family, nature's sexual internal warfare can easily overthrow it.
Reginald Brooks, as the chief protagonist of this saga, a man of societies class would find himself in a situation he hadn't anticipated back in Florida. Being away from home natute's phenomenon strucked him when he saw Renee's sexy rear, I call it ("The mass") No longer did he retain an interest of fidelity for his wife at home.
This began an influence that would last for years producing an out of wedlock child, caused his boyhood friend to betray him by taking over his wife, the neglect and ruin of his two daughter's lives. This is a good story for mature women and men, those who would like to keep their sexual priority in tact.
So true to real life. Want to be entertained ane not left empty hearted? you might want to try this one, you just can't put it down when start reading it. Good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word! F A N T A S T I C.., 27 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
What can I say that's not been said..But had to add Another 5 STARS to the reviews...
This is the best book I have read in a while, well since Blindness by Jose Saramago...Do read the reviews for that to.
I will defy be watching out for more from 'Millenia Black' as she is now on my fav list...
If you pass this one by you will miss a REALLY GREAT READ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad to finish this book, 3 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
When I finished reading Great Pretender, I felt at a loss and sad that they characters had gone out of my life. What a wonderfully disfunctional family. You can't help but love the characters in this book. Lets hope that there is not too long a gap until they come back into our lives again. Nice one Millenia is not an apt enough phrase to say to the author.
Bravo, Well done, lets have more.
Your sequel and next book is eagerly awaited,
Many thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 16 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I had hoped for more, after reading the other reviews. However, I found it inconsistent, annoying and weak. I didn't like any of the characters, the story is interspersed with unneccessary details of their sex lives and it was not a page-turner. I do agree that the ending was unexpected, so for that I give it 2 stars!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time and money, 10 April 2008
S. Rutter "reading addict" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I've never bothered to put a review on Amazon before, but this book has driven me to writing this. I have never read such tripe. Badly written and unbelievable characters. Risible story line and sex scenes. Please don't make the mistake I made and believe the reviews that suggest this book is worth your attention.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 14 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Having read all the glowing reviews, I couldn't wait to get started on this novel. I was really quite disappointed. It read like a typical Saturday afternoon TV movie; very predictable. The book is written in 3 parts and the only part that really had any momentum for me was the third part when all the lies were being discovered. Before the third part, I found it very hard and slow and even contemplated not even finishing it (which I never do with books). It certainly wasn't the page-turner for me that so many reveiwers wrote about.
I have given this book 3 stars and not less, because I felt the author redeemed herself "slightly" towards the end of the book, but not enough for me to recommend it to anyone else to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh the drama!, 28 Feb 2008
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Drama, drama, drama! On the one hand that flair for the dramatic is the core of this book and makes 'THE GREAT PRETENDER' what it is, yet on the other it is also the books unfortunate downfall.
While I do admit that once I got to the last fifty or sixty pages this book became impossible to put down and had me turning pages faster than greased lightning, there was just way too much going on in the preceding two hundred some odd pages to make this a four star book. Millenia Black (which I truly believe is the pen name for a male author because no woman in her right mind would write female characters that were so dense and starved for male attention) it seemed, tried to cram too much into an already interesting enough premise. I was hoping that all of the stories such as the two daughters tumultuous relationships with their boyfriends or the "mystery woman" and her cheating husband would somehow tie into the end result of the book, but unfortunately that never happened. That is why despite the fast paced and shocking ending I cannot give 'THE GREAT PRETENDER' more than 3 1/2 stars.

The Great Pretender
The Great Pretender by Millenia Black (Paperback - 22 July 2010)