4.0 out of 5 stars Play By Your Own Rules
Published on 25 Jun 2007 by Jenny J.J.I.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced saga of deceit and tangled family relationships
What a saga of lies, deceit and tangled relationships!!

This plot revolves around the fact that a man commits bigamy and has two separate families,who live miles apart from each other. I disliked all of the adult characters in this book, as they all seemed to be driven by sex, selfishness and greed - which in fact, causes all of their problems! It is a very...
Published on 6 Dec 2011 by Leicsliz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Play By Your Own Rules, 25 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
After reading this story I realized the sad part about this book is that it might be someone's reality. Maybe yours, her's, his, or mine but it is someone's reality. Aside from that, this book is wonderful and creative! Cheating plots are done all the time, but this type of double life scenario is very uncommon. Millenia Black has put a daring new spin on modern family drama by exploring its secrets and lies.

In here we meet married executive Reginald Brooks who has been living a double life--with two families in two different Florida cities. But after nearly a decade, he decides it's time to "come clean" with both women. But the results may be tragic as the so called the "perfect man" comes undone by the consequences of a double life.

Reggie is a brave soul because I don't think a lot people could have pulled off what he did and he certainly hurt a lot of them, including himself, being a "pretender." The story was believable and the rest of characters were well developed. It was definitely a page turner and kept my interest from beginning to end. It had an unfortunate and unexpected ending and I was very saddened by the actions taken by the other woman, although I could understand her hurt over living a complete lie. I was also shocked that the initiator of all of the problems couldn't handle what he had placed on others for so many years.

The author made you feel as if you were a "fly on the wall" in every scene of the book. I agree with the other reviews that this should be made into a movie's you have to be careful about who you deal with...if it doesn't feel right, nine times out of ten, it's not right. It broke my heart at certain parts, while other occasions made me think. Millenia Black did a great job with her debut and is well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book leaves you wanting more!, 12 Sep 2005
Mrs. J. E. Gray "Jennifer Gray" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
The story has a feel of "sliding doors" about it - as it describes the intertwining lives of the characters and how one man's actions have such an effect on the lives of the people around him. Each character has their own issues and problems which you are exposed to as the story unfolds.
This is an excellent book which keeps the reader interested throughout. The end of each chapter leaves the reader with a cliffhanger, enticing the reader to continue. For that reason, it makes excellent holiday reading. Once you begin reading you will not want to put this book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Tangled Web We Weave..., 13 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. Mr. Brooks traveled from Miami to Orlando for 10 years and had an outside child for 6 of them with a woman his wife didn't know existed. The mother of this child also knew nothing about Mr. Brook's wife and two daughters that existed long before she did. What a roller coaster ride we have here. No stone goes unturned when all the chips fall and it is too good to put down when it reaches the climax. I was shocked by what the ramifications were in the end, but could definitely see such a result in a situation like this. No one can win. I recommend this book because it is a pageturner and the storyline is not overdone or trite as so many fiction books I've come across in recent months.
Geena Brighton, columnist for Sherrington

5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamite Drama!!, 24 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I read this book in 6 hours, I kid you not. I can attest that it was a pageturner. Very engrossing story about Reginald Brooks trying to extracate himself from years of a double life. The ending had my heart pounding because I couldn't believe the outcome. The Great Pretender begs a lesson be learned from reading it. Be careful how you treat people!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyment and sorrow, 26 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Mr.Reginald Brooks,a guy who wore a rolex,drove the latest model Ford Expedition,he had the cash that made it easy to enjoy extramarital affair.So he suppressed interest in wife and childre back home,while indulging in extramarital affair.That eventually cost him both families.Oh,he was now sorry but it was much too late, shouldn't start it in the first place. This author paints a good picture that men's nature can easily undermines their sense of marital integrity. I'm telling you this is a real page turner to the finish, that's right!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Read, 22 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
One sitting. That's all it takes for this one. If you're anything like me, you'll forget you've got supper on the fire because you're so wrapped up in the lives of this Brooks family. What a ride! I couldn't believe the way things turned out. You've got to get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRUE MORAL TO THIS STORY, 11 Oct 2005
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
My book group and I really love a good book. This story is a literal page-turner and we all had a great time reading it.
I can tell you, the pages turn themselves! The characters are so well-drawn and you really get caught up in their choices. Some infuriated me, and others I sympathized with and rooted for. My favorite character was definitely Reginald Brooks, the main one. He wasn't at first, but he ended up showing us a great moral in the end of the story. The ending to The Great Pretender is a true lesson that gives a reader a great moral value on top of the exciting, fast-paced story that the author leads up to it with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sizzles!!, 2 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
This is book has some terrific sex scenes that I really kept my eyes peeled!! I loved the interactions among all the characters in the story. A man is cheating on his wife with a mistress in another town and she did not know he was married either. This made for a dangerous finish, which does come as a surprise in the end. Amongst the drama are some couplings that sizzle and make the book all the more interesting!!

5.0 out of 5 stars When a Many Plays Away, 27 July 2003
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
The Great Pretender was a very clever story. It started out as the story of Reginald who was The Great Pretender of the title. But the whole cast of characters had a lot to hide.

The characters all have vital roles to play in the story and they all link up so well. I liked the way Millenia paragraphed her story using bold heading for each one. She kept the pace going well and worked the characters well without flagging at all. It is very much a page turner and as a reader I was so eager to finish it. The ending didn't disappoint at all and it was a bit awesome. Of all the characters Frank was the least likeable but he was so well thought out. A man who carried resentment through his life and wanted revenge in a nasty way. He lost a good friendship and the respect of Tracy too, I think.

Tracy was my favourite character. I know she did wrong but she was an easy target for Frank and she did not know his motives.

A very good debut novel. I look forward to Millenia's next novel, with relish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing family dysfunction, 20 July 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
A look into the life of a man who's gotten away with the ultimate duplicity. He's got a thing in one city with a little one out of wedlock, meanwhile his wife is left with their two daughters, and to her own devices in another city entirely.
I was up until the wee hours with this one. The story is bloody engaging!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Great Pretender
The Great Pretender by Millenia Black (Paperback - 22 July 2010)