5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome
Published on 26 May 2012 by Peter Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Oct. 2008
S. P. Ramsey "themightyrambo" (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a fascinating book. Freud talks about how the mistakes we make give clues about our subconscious thoughts and motives; he describes the different types of errors we make and what they say about us, giving many interesting examples of each type, including slips of the tongue and forgetting. It is written in a simple style, and the use of examples really helps get the point across- overall a great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Best introduction to Freud, 5 Jan. 2012
The inconsequential events of everyday life - forgetting names, accidents, slips of the tongue - are given Freud's psychoanalytic treatment in this volume. Freud displays his interpretive genius here more than in any other of his works (even more so than in his 'Interpretation of Dreams', the book most revered by Freud himself and his orthodox followers). Showing a keen eye for spotting the pervasive influence of the omnipotent unconcious, Freud gathers examples from his life (which are of endless fascination with those interested in his life as well as his theories) and in literature in which repressed unconcious desires find expression in the contrivences of everyday life. This book remains for me possibly the most concise, thorough and easy-going introduction to the writings of Sigmund Freud.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 5 Jan. 2014
excellent book and easy to understand the subject and can help self or others. great value for money. i would recommend this book for reading .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 15 Mar. 2013
The book is what it is. A good account of what I needed for study. I shall use this as a referrence/guide for my work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 May 2015
This review is from: The Psychopathology of Everyday Life (Paperback)
Fantastic! Bigger than anticipated, but no regrets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
Great reference bool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Nov. 2014
Excellent stuff

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome, 26 May 2012
Peter Hall (Co Kerry, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I had to read this book as it is required reading of the hypnotherapy course that I am following. Had I not been forced to read it I would not have got past the first chapter. Freud gives seemingly endless examples of how slips of the tongue, pen, etc. reveal our inner thoughts and desires. Perhaps these were interesting and amusing a hundred years ago, but I found them exceedingly tiresome. To give one example of each type of parapraxis would have been sufficient, but Freud gives many of each and then goes into an extremely detailed explanation of what he believes was the motive behind the slip.
Personally I found some of the explanations to be contrived and all it proved to me was that if you look hard enough and long enough for a hidden motive you will find one. What Freud seemed incapable of accepting was that we are fallible and sometimes we simply make mistakes, or have a failure of memory, without any hidden motive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 27 Oct. 2012
The summary as written on line prepared one for this book. No great surprises. Enjoyable to read if this is your taste in literature

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life
The Psychopathology of Everyday Life by Sigmund Freud (Paperback - 4 Jun. 2010)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks